Thinking big...

This is basically how the layout of my living room looks like.

The room is 20' long, by about 13' wide.

The existing tank (150G) is 5' long, 2' deep. The stand is 6' long.

That framed wall is the back side of the house - the upper left is a tall window, and the upper right is a door to the deck. The room itself is the back-left corner of the house.

The idea is that the new 8x4 tank will go in the space where the fireplace is, and will be centered along the back wall.

6g34YWBl.jpg
alt="" />

man this is going to be a nice project. and a monstor tank for the room. you might want to stick a computer chair in there so you can roll around the tank.

Yeah, we're going to put a couch or lounge chairs on the wall opposite the new tank / fireplace spot.

Might keep the 150 where it is, or move it down to the eventual fish room.

First attempt at a steel tube stand design.

2" steel tube, 11 gauge walls (0.120").

The T-shaped brace in the middle is for an internal 32" x 8" BeanAnimal overflow.

It'll be 96" long, 48" wide, and 36" tall.

The height is the limiting factor, otherwise it won't fit through my doors. :)

7XkNiJll.jpg
alt="" />

Updated with back and side braces...

This steel tubing is about 3 pounds per linear foot... so the stand should be about 350 pounds.

The front center opening is 30" wide, and the ones on either side are 29" wide, 32" of height (36" - 4").

tCvWGKrl.jpg
alt="" />

Marvelous!! That's all I can say. I'm willing to bet that this build thread will be the most viewed of all time here at ARC. Love the idea of an external fish room!!! I'm saving this thread link to My Favorites!! Can't wait to see the CAD pictures of the grow out room. Room size, plumbing, electrical, RODI setup? Man, I think I'll gain some valuable info here to help me on my 20+ year project I've been wanting to do.

Wannabee

I'm still debating whether I would want to build the stand myself...

I'd have to learn to weld - a useful skill - but that alone could take some time.

There's a steelyard nearby, so I'd probably ask them for a quote anyway.

As for the tank... GlassCages prices a 450 acrylic with 1" walls at around $7000...

So I'm guessing a 600 would be about $8-10k.

brian313313;1080079 wrote: Another place to check out for large tanks: http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/tsunami-535-gallon-96lx48wx30h-rectangular-acrylic-aquarium-u535.aspx">http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/tsunami-535-gallon-96lx48wx30h-rectangular-acrylic-aquarium-u535.aspx</a>. The 535 looks like the largest 8' but it's about 4k shipped. I've never ordered from them but I have my eye on an 8'x2'x2'. The have a 670 for about 5500 but it's 10'.[/QUOTE]

Well the 535 tank has the right dimensions - 96x48x30.

I suspect the 3/4" acrylic may be a bit thin, though.

I have 3/4" acrylic on my 150...

grouper therapy;1080081 wrote: Why steel?

Greater strength while maintaining more open area underneath the tank.

I'd end up skimming it with some plywood anyway, so I may hit you up for some of that work. :)

Most of the other tank builds I've seen that are this large, they either use steel tubing, or massive 2x6 or 2x8 timber frames.

Size comparisons...

RmRJjJLl.jpg
alt="" />

And the framing of the outside wall underneath, on the other side of which would be the fish room...

The framing already has a doorway framed out, on the left side... To the left of that is where the garage door is, on the rear left side of the house. There's also two cheap windows there that could easily be pulled out.

V3wkkKEl.jpg
alt="" />

What do you think the turnover rate should be?

The 10x rule would make it 6000 GPH.

Are you putting the sump underneath? Laminated plywood beams can be b used in lieu of metal. That way you could increase height and much easier to get in b the house.

grouper therapy;1080112 wrote: Are you putting the sump underneath? Laminated plywood beams can be b used in lieu of metal. That way you could increase height and much easier to get in b the house.

Unless I build the stand in the room, the limiting factor is the doorways into the room - 36" wide.

And since the stand would need to be 96x48, the height could only be 36"...

Also, I think we had this exact conversation like 3-4 years ago. :)

Lol probably so. Yeah the stand could be assembled in the room for sure, at least the structural portion anyway. Draw something up and I will cut it out for you and you can put it together yourself. Just an idea. It would be way less that steel cost wise.

Here's another thought...

The fireplace and chimney area covers an opening about 6' wide and 55" tall...

If I remove the fireplace and chimney, that's a hole I could use to bring in a taller stand.

A 48" high stand would fit through easily.

(pictures broken..)

YRr7l7A.jpg
alt="" />

Anybody have any experience removing a chimney?

I swear I haven't used it in 10+ years...

If you remove the chimney; it will affect the value of your property if you decide to sell at a later date? I would assume that removing it (the chimney) will bring down the value of your property. I will let the realtors chime in on the removal of chimney and value of property. Just a thought. Just a thought.

Wannabee

Yeah, I've seen that sentiment before...

But I'm not planning on moving anytime soon...

And otherwise it's useless space.

Also, if I take it out and expand my deck space, I think that would go better. :)

Back