Thinking big...

Here are the pictures I tried to upload earlier...

Outside, chimney cutting into the roof line.

oEP31Uzl.jpg
alt="" />

Bottom of chimney. It starts right where the deck ends...

knFlAIMl.jpg
alt="" />

If I get rid of the chimney, I can extend the deck towards the end of the house.

And, make a fish room underneath it...

I did some demolition already... knocked out a brick or two to take a look inside:

vdQ2Ws7l.jpg
alt="" />

It's basically completely hollow. Not even any insulation around the stack piping. That's wall insulation.

Just out of curiosity, I adjusted things to show what the tank would look like if the stand was 48" tall instead of 36" tall.

The answer is: Verra tall.

eBBRMW8l.jpg
alt="" />

The ceiling line is 8' from the floor - that's the dotted line.

With a 48" high stand, there's less than 18" above the tank.

I don't know about you, but for me that would be a tight squeeze.. even if I was laying down on top of the tank.

i have played with stand heights before and 40" work best for me, taller than standard and not that tall that it looks weird and hit the ceiling?

This is the stand David designed for my 220. It's 40" tall and it's completely open on one side. I added a 3rd piece of plywood across the span.
42bac45c91ee47351e17f0887c855f26.jpg
alt="" />
f3712a23d53a0e85e85b89cd23fc02fc.jpg
alt="" />

I did the best I could to set a little more than 2 tons on it and there was no flex or sag.
70baa1ea5c560033e302d981b8b7f8f1.jpg
alt="" />

Assembly in the room would be pretty easy and the cost would be well under $200.

Oh, I see - you used LVL (laminated) beams.

I used a few of those to reinforce my existing joists underneath the 150 gallon.

It runs parallel to the joists, so I ended up sistering three joists, and doubled up the header.

What I'll probably do is see if I can do the load calculations and simulate the load.

I have to do the math...

grouper therapy;1080168 wrote: Why the space underneath? Are you not doing a sump room?

Probably yes on the sump room... also probably going to be doing a few closed loops under the tank...

I'm thinking maybe two DC 12000 pumps, variable speed...

Also, here's an interesting post on RC for a stand that's a similar size.

What I find interesting is that it's actually three stands, bolted together.

600 Gallons is just about 5000 pounds, and that configuration was estimated at 10,000 pounds before failure.

showpost.php

Here's an interesting thread elsewhere where someone built an external shed underneath their deck.

http://panofish.net/building-a-shed-under-a-deck/">http://panofish.net/building-a-shed-under-a-deck/</a>

I figure I could do something similar - rebuild the deck to be larger, maybe take out the chimney..

And put the fish room underneath the deck, maybe put some corrugated roofing on the underside of the deck.

I built a shed under my deck but it's not climate controlled. In the summer it's at or above ambient and winter it's slightly above.

anit77;1080205 wrote: I built a shed under my deck but it's not climate controlled. In the summer it's at or above ambient and winter it's slightly above.

I was thinking of something similar, but with insulation in the walls, and maybe a false ceiling underneath the sheet metal "roof", also insulated.

I do have a gas line running out that direction for the fireplace, perhaps I could redirect it to feed one of those gas-fed garage heaters.

CO2... you'd also need a window ac unit or one hell of a chiller. But the CO2 when it's cold would be a big problem with a gas heater in a confined space. All electric would be better.

anit77;1080210 wrote: CO2... you'd also need a window ac unit or one hell of a chiller. But the CO2 when it's cold would be a big problem with a gas heater in a confined space. All electric would be better.

Electric garage heaters could work...

I was thinking of chillers... I know someone that has an external chiller outside his house. I don't think I'd need something that elaborate, but I could definitely run a chiller that vents to the outside.

Also: Thanks to our neighborhood friendly tank manufacturers, I now have a rough ballpark on the cost of the tank.

It's less than I thought, but I could still add $1k to it and save up the amount within 1-year's time.

GiulianoM;1080139 wrote: Here are the pictures I tried to upload earlier...

Outside, chimney cutting into the roof line.

oEP31Uzl.jpg
alt="" />

Bottom of chimney. It starts right where the deck ends...

knFlAIMl.jpg
alt="" />

If I get rid of the chimney, I can extend the deck towards the end of the house.

And, make a fish room underneath it...

I did some demolition already... knocked out a brick or two to take a look inside:

vdQ2Ws7l.jpg
alt="" />

It's basically completely hollow. Not even any insulation around the stack piping. That's wall insulation.

Good start lol

jrhunter0000;1080302 wrote: Good start lol

Well, some of the bricks on the façade were loose anyway...

I'll see if I can get up into the attic in a few days... If the roof joists go into the chimney space, I think I could have a chance of removing the chimney easily.

GiulianoM;1080307 wrote: Well, some of the bricks on the façade were loose anyway...

I'll see if I can get up into the attic in a few days... If the roof joists go into the chimney space, I think I could have a chance of removing the chimney easily.
I'd almost guarantee they don't. No biggie though just sister some on to the side.

grouper therapy;1080311 wrote: I'd almost guarantee they don't. No biggie though just sister some on to the side.

Do they chop the ends off of prefab trusses?

GiulianoM;1080307 wrote: Well, some of the bricks on the façade were loose anyway...

Joist or rafters or both?

Back