Those of you who order live rock online

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to add 20 lbs of live rock to my current setup. I want natural or aqua-cultured live rock, without the fake purple dyed coraline(preferably covered in real coraline algae). I have never ordered online and am looking for your recommendations!

Also open to local retailers, but preferably on the south side of Atlanta.

To the best of my knowledge natural is gone the way of the dodo bird. They do sell the reef saver that has been in the ocean a while but it’s pricy. If your system is already running why not just add a rock or two and in no time it will match? I’m just a little paranoid of what might come with it given some of my pitfalls.

I love the rock we purchased from Tampa Bay Saltwater. It's not cheap and you WILL get hitchhikers. Some good, some bad, some you won't know are there for a while. If you are able & willing to deal with anything coming in on the rock - it's great and I would highly recommend it.

If you want to buy rock, put it in the tank and not be constantly wondering if something is going to eat your prize coral / clam / fish etc - I'd say stay clear and buy dry rock.

An extreme example.....

This guy - came to me as a hitch hiker on rock from the Gulf of Mexico (Tampa Bay Saltwater) in September of 2016.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 7.06.26 AM.png

He is now approaching a foot long and eats ANYTHING he can fit in his mouth. His home is a 120 gallon tank dedicated strictly to him. He ate every single crab - good & bad - that come in on that rock. I did notice a couple days ago there is still a whelk snail in the tank with him. Not sure how it has survived - but it has. Whelk snails are carnivorous and took out a clam we had FYI.

Here is a video from about a year ago of the same fish. He has grown considerably. Jump ahead to the 7 minute mark to get a good view of him.

@lmm1967
I used to catch toad fish in & around Tampa Bay when I was a kid.
Especially common in the back waters behind the islands around Ft. Desoto park.
The first one I caught with my bare hands, which was about 3-4 inches long, & had no idea what it was.
Thanks for sharing!

@lmm1967
I used to catch toad fish in & around Tampa Bay when I was a kid.
Especially common in the back waters behind the islands around Ft. Desoto park.
The first one I caught with my bare hands, which was about 3-4 inches long, & had no idea what it was.
Thanks for sharing!

I caught one year’s ago (probably about 11 years old) and my dad told me with a straight face it was “a mother in law fish”. Later, when I got the joke it was pretty good. Thinking of it still makes me smile.

@Mom2Many ordered some amazing looking rock from Walt Smith I think. It had tons of coraline if that's what you want.
That's exactly what I want, some good rock with tons of coraline. Doesn't necessarily have to be from the ocean I should say. Trying to increase biodiversity as my system is very controlled.

Here is a video from about a year ago of the same fish. He has grown considerably. Jump ahead to the 7 minute mark to get a good view of him.

That fish looks so cool! It's a shame that he ate everything though!

Back