time to raid the lfs for yellow tangs

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
found it on R2R.

i know it was restricted before and now it's just harder and harder (insert "that's what she said")

make sure you raid/ransack all the yellow tangs in your local lfs. they will increase in value just like stock and real estate....right?

But when the price comes close enough to a purple tang would someone still pick the yellow?

I did some reading, and the price of our Tangs is all going to the middleman and fish stores, the price paid to collectors before they were banned was tiny just $2.87 per fish. I imagine we may see a price spike a bit with farmed yellow tangs, I doubt we will see them go from the 40-60 dollar range I see in fish stores for last few years to maybe more in the 60-75 dollar range. Other Hawaii fish may disappear from the trade. This is sad because controlled harvesting from the ocean is a lot more environmentally sustainable than farming them considering all the costs of feeding, pumping water, filtering water etc. Basically we are just burning environmentally damaging electricity to preserve a under-exploited and sustainable plentiful resource of wild fish. Certainly some rare fish are best turned over to commercial farming, but yellow tangs don't seem to qualify, populations in Hawaii are not falling.

FishLife_YellowTang.indd (hawaii.edu)

Back