Tiny pumps in!

haninja;112050 <span style="font-family: Verdana;">I would be interested to see if anybody tried putting them on a wave maker. IMHO they would fail miserably…</span> <span style="font-family: Verdana;">.</span>[/QUOTE said:
Right on... Don't try... sounds like nothings has changed... If you get a 6mos worth out of a 5$ pump I would say you are ahead, unfortunatly I paid more than that...

There is a simple lil trick in getting cheap suction cups to stick to the walls...

You simply apply a small dab of silicone to the inside of the cup and then press it against the glass. It should work like a charm. Allow some time for it to cure before you turn it on of course.

Anything this cheap is likely prone to failure, but powerheads aren't a complicated engineering feat so I wouldn't be suprised to see these last a while. Time will tell on these, but I know the aqualifter and even the MJs are quality cheap goods IMO.

dawgdude;109183 wrote: AC pumps start the correct direction half the time because it is alternating current.

They will rotate the same direction every time. It depends on how its windings are connected to determine which direction it rotates. I have rewound many AC motors in my Navy days and they always started the same way.

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I’ve been running these pumps in my 46g bowfront for about 2 weeks now and here is my impression:</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">What I like</span>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">They are small and throw a nice flow for their size. Being that small gives a lot of placement options. I have 4 of them, 2 close to the top of the tank and 2 halfway down. </span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">They run off external wall adapter which helps reduce the size and heat. </span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Gate valve and rotating nozzle helps directing the flow. </span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Black plastic - they bland with the background (if you have a black painted back).</span></li>
</ul><span style="font-family: Verdana;">What I don’t like</span>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Terrible suction cups. Almost every day I have my hands in the tank to reattach one of them. I didn’t want to use the silicon method because of the next point.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">3 out of 4 would not start after power outage… the way to get them to restart is physically take them out (while running) and put them back. Apparently, the contact with air stirs something inside that makes them go again. It takes a few tries to make them go. Forget about putting them on a wave maker.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">One of the wall adapters got so hot that the plastic casing started melting… and it smelled. Good thing I was able to catch it on time. I don’t even want to think about what could have happened if that adapter got any hotter.</span></li>
</ul><span style="font-family: Verdana;">On a personal note, I did communicate my dissatisfaction to Miguel from fragglereef, especially the fact that two of the pumps appeared to be damaged during shipping. I was issued a refund for the damaged pumps. </span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">In conclusion, I’ll be removing all of them and putting back my trusty seio. </span>

These were great when i was changing tank, great little pump to just have some circulation...... I def. would not suggest these for a display tank, but great small pump for coolers while traveling....

They are awesome for mixing water in my 7g jugs.

I noticed one of them got stuck...had to run it in vinegar.

Raj forget about the little pumps, you need to put your scuba gear on and get in that big tank of yours and start cleaning. Now wouldn't that be fun?

BroncoXpress;117593 wrote: Raj forget about the little pumps, you need to put your scuba gear on and get in that big tank of yours and start cleaning. Now wouldn't that be fun?

:D All except the cleaning part!

haninja;117401 wrote: <span style="font-family: Verdana;">I’ve been running these pumps in my 46g bowfront for about 2 weeks now and here is my impression:</span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">What I like</span>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">They are small and throw a nice flow for their size. Being that small gives a lot of placement options. I have 4 of them, 2 close to the top of the tank and 2 halfway down. </span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">They run off external wall adapter which helps reduce the size and heat. </span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Gate valve and rotating nozzle helps directing the flow. </span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Black plastic - they bland with the background (if you have a black painted back).</span></li>
</ul><span style="font-family: Verdana;">What I don’t like</span>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Terrible suction cups. Almost every day I have my hands in the tank to reattach one of them. I didn’t want to use the silicon method because of the next point.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">3 out of 4 would not start after power outage… the way to get them to restart is physically take them out (while running) and put them back. Apparently, the contact with air stirs something inside that makes them go again. It takes a few tries to make them go. Forget about putting them on a wave maker.</span></li>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;">One of the wall adapters got so hot that the plastic casing started melting… and it smelled. Good thing I was able to catch it on time. I don’t even want to think about what could have happened if that adapter got any hotter.</span></li>
</ul><span style="font-family: Verdana;">On a personal note, I did communicate my dissatisfaction to Miguel from fragglereef, especially the fact that two of the pumps appeared to be damaged during shipping. I was issued a refund for the damaged pumps. </span>

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">In conclusion, I’ll be removing all of them and putting back my trusty seio. </span>

See, people can call me a pessimist all day long, but this is EXACTLY what I am trying to avoid in buying no-name cheap things like this. I had mentioned in a previous post that the worst case scenario was that these pumps might dump current into the water. I want to revise my comment. Worst case scenario, this $5 pump will start on fire at the wall transformer, and burn down your house. Not ever worth it in my book.

I was wondering when that "I told you so" was coming. ;)

I am still sticking by my guns on this. The Hydor Koralias when they first came out could have killed or injured someone with that electricity leak and the Tunze NanoStreams have killed at least one of my corals due to faulty clamps and that product is neither cheap nor from an offbrand manufactorer. Any new product is likely going to have its share of problems, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't test them out and try and keep an open mind.

Cameron;117719 wrote: I was wondering when that "I told you so" was coming. ;)

I am still sticking by my guns on this. The Hydor Koralias when they first came out could have killed or injured someone with that electricity leak and the Tunze NanoStreams have killed at least one of my corals due to faulty clamps and that product is neither cheap nor from an offbrand manufactorer. Any new product is likely going to have its share of problems, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't test them out and try and keep an open mind.

Fair enough. But, the next person that calls me a pessismist is going to get kicked in the throat.

jmaneyapanda;117736 wrote: Fair enough. But, the next person that calls me a pessismist is going to get kicked in the throat.

How about calling you a pessimist? :eek: Same kick or jack slapped?:D :tongue:

So far all of my pumps work just fine. They all restart after losing power without any problems.

came in today. I have 2 of the 4 running in my RO tank. Seem to be pretty cool little guys so far. No issues on packaging or startup after power loss or exposure to some air. AC adaptors are a little warm so I'll keep an eye on them for a while.

I have 4 of these pumps that I purchased and never used, they are still in the packaging they came in. Is anybody else's pumps still working?

Should I just trash these? Anyboy's house burn down because of them?

If anyone wants to part with one of these, I'm interested...and I'll be at the meeting.

John

Back