Trey's New 115g

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
OK, it's finally time to kick this thing into high gear! :)

After much collaboration with Chris @ Fish Scales, we came up with our final, final plans and the glass will be delivered tomorrow! I'm sure Chris will be adding to this thread since even though it's "my tank" he has taken some ownership as well. Thanks again, Chris, for all of the insight, advice, and time you've spent so far. It was greatly appreciated! To anyone looking for a local builder who will actually guide you through the process and help come up with some innovative ideas, Chris is DA MAN!!

And now you'll have a builder within driving distance to come slap you when you change your mind after it's been built LOL.

The final design was one I think will be pretty unique in the end. I am keeping my existing cabinet, so the dimensions are the same as the old tank. 48x21x25. Why not just go with a standard 120 you ask? Because A. I'm just "different" and B. Those extra three inches protruding into the living room would have caused even more problems with wifey!

We designed a modified Calflo overflow system. Basically, take a standard overflow box, shorten and widen it a bit, and flip it to the outside of the tank. The top of the back glass will be grooved to allow for surface skimming. We wanted to have holes cut into the tank, but things were getting out of hand with that idea! The top glass will be a giant piece of Eurobracing (one continuous piece) that will sit down on the grooves in back and create the "holes" of the overflow.

Two 1" drains will be in the overflow box and will utilize typical Durso style standpipes. The system will have three 3/4" returns. One each on the left and right sides and one located in the middle, lower in the water column. This lower return will allow me to keep the areas behind the rock free from detritus and other gunk build up. The upper returns (left and right) will be on a SCWD and the upper left will be throttled back slightly with a ball valve. This will cause the lower return to also vary slightly in flow rate because of the SCWD. The primary flow for the tank with be the Vortech and my two Tunzes.

OK so when we gonna do the transfer and go to Nuevo Laredo.

I will take photos and post them as the tank is being built. The front and 2 sides will be starfire glass as well. The back will be black and black silicone will be used as well.

IMG_1764.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Here's what $100 of plumbing looks like! And that was WITH the BRS discount.:eek: I already have one return set being used now. It will go into the new tank.

IMG_1765.jpg
alt="" /></a>

$32 of that was spent on this check valve. Since we're (read: I'm) taking a risk with this lower return's location, we're using TWO check valves. One nice one, and one REALLY nice one that can be easily cleaned, etc. This is the REALLY nice one!

IMG_1766.jpg
alt="" /></a>

And this is the nice one. There's a sticker on there about keeping the unit horizontal. Anyone have thoughts on that?

As far as other pics go, we'll have to wait until Chris gets things going. The plan is to move everything this Saturday or Sunday if anyone feels inclined to participate. Food and adult beverages will be provided, of course. Plus, I might can convince my wife to send helpers home with a bottle of vino for later! I live in the West Midtown area, near 10th street and Howell Mill.

molson;352369 wrote: And now you'll have a builder within driving distance to come slap you when you change your mind after it's been built LOL.

Chris may be somewhat small in stature, but he looks scrappy, and I've heard some STORIES!!:eek: I'll try my best not to piss him off...

Fish Scales2;352379 wrote: I will take photos and post them as the tank is being built. The front and 2 sides will be starfire glass as well. The back will be black and black silicone will be used as well.

Jeez, how did I forget the pretty glass! One of the main reasons I'm doing this whole thing. See, Chris always has my back. Black silicone will test Chris's patience, for sure!:mad2:

LeeS;352378 wrote: OK so when we gonna do the transfer and go to Nuevo Laredo.

I'm not sure I can AFFORD Nuevo Laredo anymore! I might cook my own fajitas, but I'm just not sure what kind of time we're looking at. I would hate to be eating too late! I'm going to try and break everything down EARLY in the morning so that basically, all we'll need to do is move the old tank out, pop the new one in and connect plumbing. Then comes the fun part of moving things back IN! I'm open to suggestions on the actual plans for transfer, of course.

I may be scrappy but there is only so much damage a 125lb pipsqueak like me can do. :tongue2: Except for put down some grub and I mean massive amounts.:yes:

The horizontal sticker means that if you are using the valve in the horizontal position, you need to keep that side facing the sky if you want it to work properly.

If you are using the valve vertically, it doesn't matter.

Tyler

Wait what happened to the other tank from Alabama??? I missed something....

Ha! You didn't miss MUCH, James. I rushed into that tank a bit and didn't think through my ultimate goals before ordering it. I still love that tank, but I plan on selling it here in the next weeks or so.

Tyler, thanks for the heads up on that. Do you know if it would be better to use it horizontally? I'm still laying out the plumbing for the next few days, so I can change things (somewhat) as needed. Anyone else on my side of town down for H.B.O?

For moving day, I'm contemplating two scenarios. I would say these depend a bit on when I actually take delivery of the new glass.

A. Move Saturday - this would mean an early start for me and having anyone who is willing to help come over just after lunch. Assuming we can get done in a decent amount of time (yeah right!) then having some burgers and beer afterward. Maybe make a trip down the street for Mexican.

B. Move Sunday - I'm not sure how people feel about doing things away from family on Sunday here. This would allow me to finalize all plumbing, etc. on Saturday and make sure I was really ready for the move. The helpers could either come over late morning and break for a nice lunch with a cold one, OR come over a little later and finish up with an early supper. The Mexican would be out at this point since all the good places I know of over here are closed on Sunday.

I'm leaning towards option B, but beggars can't be choosers. Anyone out there willing to help out, please let me know what works best. With the exception of actually moving the tank, I could do everything alone. But that would SUCK!

I spoke to Chris at Fish Scales earlier. He's taking his camera to work with him so hopefully we'll get a few shots of the glass before it's all assembled. I really can't wait to see this top piece of glass. It's one big piece that's been cut to look like Eurobracing! :) This was his idea and I'm sure it's gonna look pretty sweet.

The glass after I prepped it.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
352983=17300-DSCF0166.jpg
>
352983=17300-DSCF0166.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCF0166.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
352983=17301-DSCF0167.jpg
>
352983=17301-DSCF0167.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCF0167.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Woohooo!!

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Check out the top piece...rounded inside corners, nice beveling...lookin' SWEET!!

I believe Chris was glueing everything up last night. I'l be picking it up on Saturday morning! :) That is, unless he dropped something last night. I imagine I would have been able to hear him curse all the way at my house last night if that would have happened though.

Back