Vodka, Vinegar, Sugar (Carbon) Dosing info

Well you made me test it. THANKS! It's a little sweet, but nothing crazy. Wierd after taste. I only add 6 drops of pro skim, and 6 drops of omegas.

Hmm, strange. Glucose and dextrose tastes kinda strange as well, but it is definatly sweet. Of course Elos undoubtable added who knows what in it. But 6 drop equals what, like maybe .3ml? That might be about right in comparable sugar dosing, if you are combining it with vodka/vinegar. AS a stand alone, it is not much, but then again some tanks resopond really well with VERY small doses. I was seeing a difference in just a few days with only like a 1 ml dose in 140 net gallons.

rostato;322862 wrote: Well you made me test it. THANKS! It's a little sweet, but nothing crazy. Wierd after taste. I only add 6 drops of pro skim, and 6 drops of omegas.

Please don't do that again! Crazy! Anyway, thats why we have Christopherjay here.

LOL I just tatsed like a pin drop...no biggy. I drink a lot of water anyway.

Yeah 6 drops is not much at all, but it says to dose 1-3 drops per 26G daily

Shoot, I taste terrible stuff all the time. Antifreeze, motor oil, VSV..yuk. Of course chemically, some of those might not be as bad as beer......mmmm......beer.

Derek_S;322893 wrote: Shoot, I taste terrible stuff all the time. Antifreeze, motor oil, VSV..yuk. Of course chemically, some of those might not be as bad as beer......mmmm......beer.

I must say that was my first intentional tasting of a chemical except for alchohol.

I have dogs, so if I find them into something outside, sometimes I will taste it to be sure it isnt poisonus so I can get tehm to teh vet if needed. I am always afraid of antifreeze leaks at my apartment. SO many crappy cars.

Stupid i know, but I sometimes do it without thinking. I love dem dogs.

Many other times it has fallen in my mouth as I'm turning wrenches. Not intentionally thank God. That would indicate major problems on my part... ha.

Derek_S;322901 wrote: I have dogs, so if I find them into something outside, sometimes I will taste it to be sure it isnt poisonus so I can get tehm to teh vet if needed. I am always afraid of antifreeze leaks at my apartment. SO many crappy cars.

Stupid i know, but I sometimes do it without thinking. I love dem dogs.

Many other times it has fallen in my mouth as I'm turning wrenches. Not intentionally thank God. That would indicate major problems on my part... ha.

Nice, now I have accidentally tasted many things I shouldnt have when working on aircraft while I was in the Air Force.

Anyway, back on track I guess.

I don't mind the taste of anti freeze (hate the after taste, though). I don't drink it but have gotten it in my mouth while working under the truck. Motor oil, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid (YUCK!!!), washer fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid...think that's all the automotive fluids...

Think I may be looking for a new skimmer soon so I can implement the VSV method...

I stoped dosing vodka all toether now. I decided that since I am running a denitrator, gfo, filter socks, and a big skimmer, I may not really be doing much by adding it. I am gonna give it a couple weeks and see what happens.

I also started the Elos Amino addions. 6 drops a day for now. We will see what that does as well.

Yeah, with that denitrifier, you shouldn't use vsv anymore. You should be good to go!

Now you can drink that cheap vodka! I turned mine into Jello Shots last weekend:up:

On topic, I definatly don't think you need VSV with a denitrator. I did not know you were running one.

Well, so far no noticeable difference without VSV.

Actually some corals look a little pale, but not significantly. I'm not really sure what is going on, but I am wondering if there is some mineral deficiency, like potassium. My blues suck on some corals, more of a purple. I'm not really sure what to look for though.

Also no difference due to aminos, but of course it hasnt been a week since I started them. I may bump the dose up a little too since 6 drops may be a little conservative.

<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 12px">Update:</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 12px"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 12px">dosage now:</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 12px">AZ-NO3= 5.ml</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 12px">Vodka = 7.50ml</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial"></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">Well, I'm right at two weeks changing from AZ-NO3 to 80% Vodka. </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">slight changes:</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">1. Less slime</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">2. Millies have longer polyp extension (still very short though)</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">3. Previous Hair algae spots have slight growth. Nothin' to worry about.</span>

OK, it's June 09. update.

I'm dosing 11 mm of Vodka, and my corals have never looked so good. Great growth, Millies looking great, and I'm pissed at myself for using AZ-No3 for so long. I should have made the switch a long time ago. Oh, well. Most people don't realize that their is a difference in the type of carbon dosing. There is.

I heard an argument the other day..................how unnatural to dose vodka? you shouldn't dose vodka, it's just not natural...............

How "natural" is it to use synthetic salt? synthetic sunlight? dow flakes? gfo? corals from different regions of the world placed together? sea life from different regions of the world placed in a glass cage? with fake water flow? So just because you use "live rock from fiji", sand from the Caribbean, tangs from Hawaii, wrasses from africa, corals from the red sea, snails from Mexico, Shrimp from indonesia, tides from tunze, light from Radiums, Brine shrimp from salt lake..................................it's unnatural to add a fuel to boost bacteria that eats nitrates? When was the last time you saw a skimmer diving in Aruba?

Thats a lot of vodka! I stopped at 6ml, with no noticeable negative results. But after the addition of the denitrifier, I wasnt seeing any good results either. I think vodka is actually safer than many people say, they just stress caution to be on the safe side.

I have considered starting again, but my colors are decent (could still be betyter) and my N's and P's are not showing ona n elos test, so I'm not sure. I certainly dont want to over-do it.

here is a good list of questions that I got from zeo site:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
5. Are you using Ozone
6. Are you using UV
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
12. What corals do you keep
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
14. How long has the tank been running?
15. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
16. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
17. Any present problems
18. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
19. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
20. Present dosing, amounts and intervals
21. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
22. Which salt brand do you use

With my new tank, I've been adjusting up and down, with and without vinegar, blah, blah, blah. Right now I'm dosing only Vodka at 18 ml. No amino acids.

My algae and bacteria (cyno) issues have dissipated 99%.

Jeez, 18ml...I dose 1ml in my 24g, lol. I had a cyano bloom recently because I began dosing Vitamin C for some zoas, so I'm upping the VSV a bit again.

Kinda fun playing with chemistry/biology. I swear if you walked into my kitchen on a Friday morning (my day I do tank stuff in the morning), you'd think there was a "lab" in there. Little scales, lots of white powder everywhere, unmarked jugs of clear(ish) liquids, mini vials of more clear liquids. All I'm missing is a bunsen burner.

Back