Water Change Waste Water

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Ok so i got to wondering what everyone does with their waste water from water changes. I just throw it off my deck into some woods and i'm starting to see stuff die out there.

I have mine hanging up over a washing machine hook-up I dont use. Drains easily.

I syphon into a bucket, the bucket goes straight down the toilet. and it has plenty of flow capacity to take it as fast as you can dump it

jgilley84;203365 wrote: I syphon into a bucket, the bucket goes straight down the toilet. and it has plenty of flow capacity to take it as fast as you can dump it
Same. If I paying sewer, I'm using sewer!

to the deck.

It used to go into the driveway, which drained into my neighbors back yard. They commented but never put it all together. :whistling:

We dump ours off the back deck which is conveniently located right next to the tank. However, now we have created a huge crater right off the left side of the deck where the water has eroded the soil.

Down the drain.

I have thought about making some kind of water reclamation device in my attic, to use the heat to distill the water back out, re-RO it, and then just recycle the water itself, but... maybe one day. Maybe using the heat from the lights would work better... hmm...

mojo;203414 wrote: Down the drain.

I have thought about making some kind of water reclamation device in my attic, to use the heat to distill the water back out, re-RO it, and then just recycle the water itself, but... maybe one day. Maybe using the heat from the lights would work better... hmm...

i was trying to think of away to do that aswell

mojo;203414 wrote: Down the drain.

sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me!

Is it okay to dump on grass in yard? Its got concentrated chemicals....

Joe

LorenK;203373 wrote: to the deck.

It used to go into the driveway, which drained into my neighbors back yard. They commented but never put it all together. :whistling:
LOL:lol2: Thank you for that, I needed a chuckle today

ares;203462 wrote: I think he'd be using the heat of the attic (from the sun) to distill it, which should remove the salt and most of the dissolved crap. still, Im betting it winds up putting a hurting on your RO membrane.

Can you explain your thinking? Distilled water is actually more pure than RO/DI water, since it's formed from evaporation (and thus the dissociation and recombination of H and O2 molecules). If anything, it'd be more pure from the disillation process than it would from the RO filter...

Mockery;203354 wrote: Ok so i got to wondering what everyone does with their waste water from water changes. I just throw it off my deck into some woods and i'm starting to see stuff die out there.
I dump mine into a huge patch of Poison Ivy - the hose runs right out into it. Sadly the Ivy seems to eat it up... Can't kill it!

ares;203541 wrote: water isnt all that will distill; any ammonia in the water should also evaporate and recondense, not sure what the evaporation points of nitrates are whether they would remain or not. even salt can evaporate... though in incredably small amounts.

Boiling point for ammonia is -28F. I couldn't find the evap point for nitrates. I don't understand how the ammonia will recondense, since it's boiling point is so low, and it's doubtful that you'll supersaturate some kind of distilliation unit with so much ammonia that it'd condense.

Do you have any links or other supporting material?

Also- even if there were trace amounts of ammonia, and even salts (though I'm doubtful that salt can evaporate, since we're WELL below the boiling points at STP), I'm still at a loss as to why this would be more work for an RO unit than tap water....

Of course, all this is acedemic at this point, since it's unlikely I'll be creating a distillation unit in my attic anytime soon...

Speaking as someone who works for the county's water and sewer service, if you're connected to sewer (and not septic), please put the water down the drain so that it goes into the sewer system and eventually to a sewer treatment/water reclamation facility.

Water tossed outside can impact ground water and storm drains.

Here's another one...what about reclaiming water from a dehumidifyer?

Most dehumidifiers use copper tubing throughout. Not only that, but they're hella expensive to run...

Barbara;203629 wrote: I wish! Can you put me on the list to get sewer out here? PLEEEEEEEEEZE! We have to be so careful not to do this or that because you can't put that down the septic tank, blah, blah, blah! In fact, that's why I don't put my saltwater waste down the drain. Somewhere along the way, someone I know supposed that it was bad for the septic tank! Ugh! I mean, we put the absolute nastiest stuff ever created in there (if you know what I mean), so why all the fuss about everything else?

You're right! <u>Don't go down the drain if you have septic</u>. You have a biological balance down there that's treating your waste and chemicals/salt water will definitely screw with that balance. And that *nasty* stuff you put down there (yeah, I know what you mean), is organic and your little critters underground should be taking care of it if you're perking properly.

I specifically mentioned sewer because that's how we treat wastewater to reclaim/recycle it. If you have sewer, definitely use it. Especially if you live in Cobb County where we have excellent and sufficient wastewater treatment facilities and some of the best test results anywhere. What you should NOT be putting into a sewer are oils and fats, since that's killer on a sewer system. Those go in the garbage.

If you pour your wastewater down your driveway, it can go down the street and into stormdrains, where it ends up in our streams, lakes and rivers. Not a good idea.

There's one benefit to being on septic in Cobb County (not sure how it is in Cherokee) and that's cost. My sewer fee is based on how much water I use. Thus if I do a lot of watering outside that doesn't go through my household plumbing, I get charged sewer fee on it anyway. Any water that goes through my water meter has sewer fee attached. And that was a real bummer back before the drought when we were using the inground sprinkler system, bathing four (BIG) dogs regularly, washing cars, etc.

Barbara;203629 wrote: I wish! Can you put me on the list to get sewer out here? PLEEEEEEEEEZE!

P.S. -- How old is your home? If it's older and you've not checked in awhile, sewer may be available to you now, especially if there are newer subdivisions around you.

Sewer systems in the Atlanta metro area are expanding rather rapidly with all of our development growth. Check with your Water & Sewer Authority and ask if it's available for your address. Many prospective homebuyers/homebuilders who come into our offices are surprised to find that sewer is now available where it once wasn't.

Back