Water Change Waste Water

jefft;203727 wrote: Runs into my pool or hot tub which ever needs the water.

SERIOUSLY? EEWW We have a 600 gallon hot tub and even though my PC's usually only create about 25-30 gallons of waste water, I would never put it in there:yuk: When I am relaxing in the HT in the evenings I do not want to smell fish! LOL

Sorry I thought you were talking about RO waste, fish waste is used for salad dressing for guest! j/k
Waste goes into the crapper.

jefft;203998 wrote: Sorry I thought you were talking about RO waste, fish waste is used for salad dressing for guest! j/k
Waste goes into the crapper.

Phew! Better :) I could not imagine that in your hot tub. Wow just add intense Heat and woolah - serious smell LOL

Linda Lee;203547 wrote: Speaking as someone who works for the county's water and sewer service, if you're connected to sewer (and not septic), please put the water down the drain so that it goes into the sewer system and eventually to a sewer treatment/water reclamation facility.

Water tossed outside can impact ground water and storm drains.

How might waste water impact a septic system?

A little while ago I learned that my the water coming out of my tank has dihydrogen oxide in it. It was quite a shock to find out and I'm learning about its effects on how wet my hands get, its temperature-based variations and overall effect on salinity. However I've also learned that Cobb County's treatment plant is really good with this stuff so I've been dumping it into the toilet.

davidbgreen;224810 wrote: A little while ago I learned that my the water coming out of my tank has dihydrogen oxide in it.

I think you meant "dihydrogen monoxide".... :)

It's not the water that causes the problems in waste treatment -it's the high salt content that causes problems for the bacteria they use in the waste treatment.

Fortunately, there are enough non-reefers out there that adding a little tank water every once in a while isn't going to throw the entire city out of balance...

dustyedinger;224861 wrote: what's a water change?

That is where you sphion out a percentage of water from your tank and replace it with new salt water. I try and do a 10% change every 2 weeks

I think you meant "dihydrogen monoxide".... :)

yes... that's it!

Do you have any idea of how much of that stuff has gotten into our oceans?

I'm trying to determine if I should pump my water into the bathroom sink behind my tank. I am afraid that it won't go down fast enough and shoot up out through the sink. I was going to run a T pipe into the drain return and pump out the water. What do you guys think?:yes:

Im not recycling it, I wanted to run a pipe from my Iwaki pump to the bathroom drain but am afraid it will come up from the drain onto the bathroom floor instead of going down the drain because of the pump's pressure.

mojo;203414 wrote: Down the drain.

I have thought about making some kind of water reclamation device in my attic, to use the heat to distill the water back out, re-RO it, and then just recycle the water itself, but... maybe one day. Maybe using the heat from the lights would work better... hmm...

I have done this, it turns into one big messy, stinking pool of cyanobacterial brine. It seems to attract all kinds of flying and jumping insects, which just seem to add their nutrient load to the cesespool. Solar energy WILL reduce it down over time, but if it is summer and the humidity is high, it is kinda slow, and if you have it outside, it also seems to attract the dog, grass clippings, and stray golfballs. Then there is the issue of what to do with the resulting salty slurry mixed with the algae that you end up with... ...because it never gets dry like table salt.

I live so far out that there are not any sewer systems here, household wastewater goes into a septic tank, and I'm a bit leary of running the water into the septic tank. At this point, I'm carrying it in a plastic tank in the bed of the truck to a public sewer site and dumping it there. but there has got to be a better answer, 'cuz carrying 50 gallons every two weeks to dump it bites, not to mention getting it up into the truck (even with a pump).

I throw it outside but into my rain barrel for watering plants. I really don't like to waste water so I figured the best use of "waste" water was to water my plants. I also have a freshwater tank that I use it to do water changes with. No RODI but it's still a sediment filtered and dechlorinated by the carbon which is better than tap water.

tdwyatt;225242 wrote: I have done this, it turns into one big messy, stinking pool of cyanobacterial brine. It seems to attract all kinds of flying and jumping insects, which just seem to add their nutrient load to the cesespool. Solar energy WILL reduce it down over time, but if it is summer and the humidity is high, it is kinda slow, and if you have it outside, it also seems to attract the dog, grass clippings, and stray golfballs.

Lol- somehow I can envision all that happening!

Good to see you around here, Tom...

my favorite comment so far was water breaks down to H+ and O2 when it evaporates :)

mine goes in the toilet

Back