Water Change Waste Water

Guys....I hope evee knows salt kills grass. It will damage the soil for a very long time. Ammonia will kill at first but then will act as a fertilizer.

Linda Lee;203547 wrote: Speaking as someone who works for the county's water and sewer service, if you're connected to sewer (and not septic), please put the water down the drain so that it goes into the sewer system and eventually to a sewer treatment/water reclamation facility.

Water tossed outside can impact ground water and storm drains.

I'm shocked to see how many people dump water outside....... Please realize the salt stays in the soil and just builds up.

Please be careful with contaminating ground water and natural reseviors with our wastes from this hobby.

The toilet is really the best place to dump our old water

20 years in this hobby and the idea of dumping saltwater outside never even occured to me, nor did I think people would actually consider that an option. I don't mean to sound Holier Than Thou</em>, but please be responsible when disposing of your waste water.

Linda Lee;203740 wrote: Jeff, you must be talking about your R/O-D/I waste, right?

If you saw my pool right now you would think I put it in the pool! After 7 inches of rain this weekend, a good chuck of my garden washed into my pool (which was crystal clear) it now looks like the Ocmulgee River. I'm thinking about putting in some Large Mouth Bass.

I'm thinking of the kiddie pool idea, except off the ground and with shallow(er) frag tanks..
natural sunlight *might* cause frags to grow like no other if you can keep the water in balance.
Might be a summer project, just for grins. If nothing else, I'll be harvesting cheato. :)
Currently I dump into a creek fed pond in our backyard in hopes of controlling some weeds. Haven't noticed any discoloration or fish loss as yet.
Nearest city sewer is about 8 miles from home, so not too many options. What if anything would reduce the salt content prior to dumping other than simple evaporation?

Hummmm, I agree our hobby probably has a minimal effect on the local eco system, or even the water treatment facilities for that matter. However, I wonder what the GAC does when they perform a 10% WC on their tanks! That must be 600,000-800,00 gallons of waste water!

chicagoman_35;318094 wrote: Hummmm, I agree our hobby probably has a minimal effect on the local eco system, or even the water treatment facilities for that matter. However, I wonder what the GAC does when they perform a 10% WC on their tanks! That must be 600,000-800,00 gallons of waste water!

Please, if you do nothing else today, please read this;

http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/hcd/caulerpa.htm">http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/hcd/caulerpa.htm</a>

It might change your mind on the statment you made above.

It is ecologicly irresponsible to intentionally dump aquacultured fauna and flora (even microscopic as what would be found in waste water) into a natural enviroment.
True, we live far from the coast, but then again we rarely see ecological disasters coming, they usually catch us my surprise.

I have to be honest here...........

I'm both shocked and disheartened by what seems to be so many peoples blase' attitude toward waste water disposal. Granted, you're not releasing a Burmese Python into the Everglades, but on a much smaller scale, you're lack of concern of what you could potentionly be harming concerns and alarms me.

This hobby attracts so many intelligent people. How could such smart people do something so careless as to dump tank water so haphazardly?

Until today, after 20 years in this hobby, I didn't realize so much micro (and macro)fauna and flora ended up anywhere other than the municiple water treatment facility, and the fact that all these incredibly intelligent people just think nothing of it boggles my mind.

This is truly shameful!

I have started to bottle mine as the lastest vitality drink..

Look for it on your grocers shelf under the brand name "Vitalipoop"!

Dakota9;318161 wrote: I have to be honest here...........

I'm both shocked and disheartened by what seems to be so many peoples blase' attitude toward waste water disposal. Granted, you're not releasing a Burmese Python into the Everglades, but on a much smaller scale, you're lack of concern of what you could potentionly be harming concerns and alarms me.

This hobby attracts so many intelligent people. How could such smart people do something so careless as to dump tank water so haphazardly?

Until today, after 20 years in this hobby, I didn't realize so much micro (and macro)fauna and flora ended up anywhere other than the municiple water treatment facility, and the fact that all these incredibly intelligent people just think nothing of it boggles my mind.

This is truly shameful!
Where do you think the water from your toilet goes?
Thats right waste water treatment plant.....guess where the water from your tap comes....thats right the same place! Drink up!

Seedless Reefer;318177 wrote: Where do you think the water from your toilet goes?
Thats right waste water treatment plant.....guess where the water from your tap comes....thats right the same place! Drink up!

I'm very comfortable with this as apposed top wreaking havoc on the enviroment

In fact, that's kinda my point.....

Seedless Reefer;318174 wrote: I have started to bottle mine as the lastest vitality drink..

Look for it on your grocers shelf under the brand name "Vitalipoop"!

So that's why you wanted all those 10 gallon tanks.... I have just been throwing mine outside to try to kill weeds but it isn't working. I'll start using the toilet.

I'm just wondering how the saltwater waste effects a septic tank. That's why I throw it outside into some weeds.

Dakota9;318204 wrote: I'm very comfortable with this as apposed top wreaking havoc on the enviroment
They don't seem to have an issue with salt on the streets up north, and most of the table and rock salt we have access to is mined.. as in from underground.
The quantities of salt and trace elements we are 'dumping' is negligible considering the vast amount of water in the aquifer. We are not dumping mass amounts of phosphates on the soil trying to get food bearing plants to grow and contaminating the water like in the midwest.
If I were closer to a brackish water environment, I'd be concerned with dumping my waste water in a larger body of water for fear of releasing a critter or having a calupera outbreak.
I do appreciate your position, however my research into Source water protection and storm water protection begs to differ.
If you have other documents from which to back up your fears, please share them I'm always looking for knowledge.

Back