Water Change Waste Water

Wow. Digging up the old ones with Dakota's blatant misspellings.

I have to say, water breaks its hydrogen bonds when it goes from a liquid to a gas(vapor), not covalent. So it is still H20 as a vapor. Just bothered me as a chemistry major.

Is it okay to dump on grass in yard? Its got concentrated chemicals....

As a former golf course assistant and landscaper I would avoid dumping saltwater in the grass. Most grass species would eventually be stressed, or die by the build up of salts in the plant. Many golf course superintendents of courses near the ocean struggle with this all the time. Some species are better suited to this but the basic bermuda,zoysia, and fescue varieties won't tolerate it.

Dartfrog;469919 wrote: As a former golf course assistant and landscaper I would avoid dumping saltwater in the grass. Most grass species would eventually be stressed, or die by the build up of salts in the plant. Many golf course superintendents of courses near the ocean struggle with this all the time. Some species are better suited to this but the basic bermuda,zoysia, and fescue varieties won't tolerate it.

And thats why I dump it my neighbors yard :D

psh, why waste it by throwing it out side, sell it on craigslist , or do what i do ,use it for drinking water it taste so much like the ocean it's like you are there

Used to dump it in the toilet, when I had sewer. Now that I'm on a septic tank it goes in the driveway. Maybe it will kill weeds. Cheaper than Roundup.

I do have some concerns about dumping it outside. Could bring it to work and dump it down the drain here. Getting an RO/DI unit so I can stop hauling water, now I'm back to hauling water again. Can't win for losing.

oldschool52;318273 wrote: I'm just wondering how the saltwater waste effects a septic tank. That's why I throw it outside into some weeds.

For those of us on septic system we don't have much choice but to dump it outside. The salt buildup in a septic system will disrupt the bacteria cycle of the septic system and result in eventual failure.

I don't mean to sound irrisponsible but when I look around and see all of the empty salt buckets in my basement I understand the volume of salt that is thrown out. For me it is distributed in a drainage ditch behind my house.

If there was a better way I would go for it but I can't see sacrificing my septic system for the hobby. The only thing we can do is try not to impact neighbors or nearby streams.

Try calling your water dept and complaining that their water is contaminated with Dihydrogen Monoxide! Works best at small plants. Someone called one of the former operators I was working with, and he called the boss to "alert" him about that. I about fell out of my chair when I overheard him on the phone. He looked kinda dumb after that.
I agree with not contaminating the ground around where you live and the neighborhood environment. I grew up with enough rednecks that would change their oil in the ditch. I guess my best effort would be to bring it to work and dump it down the drain there so it can be treated. Keep my cohorts at the wastewater plant busy. Here I am back to hauling water again. At least it won't be all the topoff water my reef goes thru.

I wonder if you could use it to melt the driveway when it ices over or after it snowed. I know salt water freezes at a way lower temp.

I've thought about doing that several times but haven't. It seems like it would work but I've always worried about it refreezing and making matters worse.

RaisedOnNintendo;609638 wrote: I wonder if you could use it to melt the driveway when it ices over or after it snowed. I know salt water freezes at a way lower temp.

You can NOT:

The freezing point of seawater depends upon it's salinity,
which is the amount of salt that it contains. Open ocean seawater
has a salinity of about 35 (no units are used for salinity
anymore, although you may see it called o/oo which means
parts per thousand or psu, which means practical salinity units.
Neither usage is now considered correct).

Anyway, fresh water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius and 35 water freezes
at about <span style="color: red;">-2 degrees C</span>. The decrease is linear so that water with a salinity of 17 freezes at about -1 degree C.

Just read my post above.

I highlighted in in <span style="color: red;"><u>RED</u></em></span>

So it looks like average ocean water will freeze at 28.4 Fahrenheit I looked it up on NOAA.gov. We would need to add icemelt or alot of salt to the mix for it to have any affect.

I throw mine out the back door in the same general area every time. It keeps the weeds and grass out.

mine is hooked up close to my washer. I just run the waste tube over to where the washer drains through the wall and be done with it.

THOUGHT.. if you have a garden the slightly more dirty waster may be of use for irrigation :)

B

oh.. sorry .. i thought it was about the RODI waste line water.. my bad.

my water change water goes down the drain. yes we have septic. NO it has never caused issue.

B

Back