Wats wrong with Kole Tang

Beastvo

Market
Reaction score
fe27bab7740ddf06e549875e0585b787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I can help I have questions. He looks extremely stressed based on coloring. Is he alive and breathing and swimming normally? How’s your water quality? How long have you had him? When did the discoloration happen? Change anything on your tank recently?

Before I can help I have questions. He looks extremely stressed based on coloring. Is he breathing and swimming normally? How’s your water quality? How long have you had him? When did the discoloration happen? Change anything on your tank recently?

Everything’s good but I trying to connect the dots and I think that it has to do something with the food... but shortly after this pic he became unresponsive and I made the decision to scope him out before anything bad happens

Everything’s good but I trying to connect the dots and I think that it has to do something with the food... but shortly after this pic he became unresponsive and I made the decision to scope him out before anything bad happens

Ok. RIP Kole. I would double check everything is good so you don’t lose more fish if he was good one hour and dead the next.

But, in your opinion do you think he gotten bit or what cause it looks more than just food change right?

In a hobby with many variations of equipment, methods of husbandry and variables at play we would need more information to make any judgment calls

Was he breathing and swimming normally? How’s your water quality?
Are you dosing anything?
How long have you had him?
When did the discoloration happen?
Change anything on your tank recently?

In a hobby with many variations of equipment, methods of husbandry and variables at play we would need more information to make any judgment calls

Was he breathing and swimming normally? How’s your water quality?
Are you dosing anything?
How long have you had him?
When did the discoloration happen?
Change anything on your tank recently?

1. He was swimming around perfectly about a week ago
2. Water Quality is good, good salinity
3. No dosing
4. 3 months
5. About 2-3 days ago
6. Changed food type from flakes to pellets about a less than a week ago

1. He was swimming around perfectly about a week ago
2. Water Quality is good, good salinity
3. No dosing
4. 3 months
5. About 2-3 days ago
6. Changed food type from flakes to pellets about a less than a week ago

Okay. water temp? Feeding seaweed at all? Last water change? So he’s been declining all week and not acting normal?

Do you quarantine your fish? Whens the last time anything wet was added to your tank like a new fish coral or invert? Any of your fish showing signs of disease like hiding from the light loss of appetite spots or discoloration cloudy eyes ect

What are your water parameters, and how are you testing for them? (Just saying they’re “good” isn’t helpful to find answers). Also, what size tank is he in?

For example, I see your temperature is 76*, what type of thermometer are you using?

Parameters of primary interest:
1) Temp
2) Salinity
3) Ammonia
4) Nitrate

I highly doubt the issue is the food. I’ve seen fish eat and not-eat a lot, and food is rarely the issue. When a fish has died related to food, it’s due to not eating anything for 4-8 weeks straight.

You mentioned switching from flakes to pellets; a very good choice. Pellets are known for being very nutrient-dense, and uneaten ones have the capability to increase your ammonia and nitrates very quickly. The only thing worse than pellets... are flakes. (I think pellets are a great food source, but there’s a correct time and place to use them).

Last edited:
Did you add any new fish recently ? I recently lost about 4 fishes that i had for about a year , after adding a fish . My mistake I didn't quarantine the fish, but I had all of them from the same place , So i took it for granted that it is okay to add without going through the quarantine process, but Big Mistake.

Did you add any new fish recently ? I recently lost about 4 fishes that i had for about a year , after adding a fish . My mistake I didn't quarantine the fish, but I had all of them from the same place , So i took it for granted that it is okay to add without going through the quarantine process, but Big Mistake.

No I haven’t add fish in a decent amount of time... the last fish was a sail fin and that was added close to a month ago

No I haven’t add fish in a decent amount of time... the last fish was a sail fin and that was added close to a month ago

What about other new livestock? Snails, invert's or coral.
Do you run Carbon?
What is the size of the tank?
Beyond the Sailfin, what else is stocked in the tank?
Are any other fish showing any odd signs.
Have you checked for Ammonia?
Have you verified the temp with another thermometer?

I’m very curious as to the parameters and tank size. As with the given information so far, these seem likely to be contributing factors.

Additionally, it seems like a bacterial or fungal infection is present. There are what appears to be 2 small lesions on the side and a tattered pectoral fun.

I’m very curious as to the parameters and tank size. As with the given information so far, these seem likely to be contributing factors.

Additionally, it seems like a bacterial or fungal infection is present. There are what appears to be 2 small lesions on the side and a tattered pectoral fun.

Tank size is 125
Parameter:
Is the bacterial or fungal infection contagious

Yea also the eyes look to be a bit cloudy but that could be the camera flash

It sure looks like there could be Dyno's on the sand, hard to tell from the pic. Bristletooth tangs are constant peckers eating all day. If, and big IF here, if those are Dyno's and the fish ate enough of them it could kill it. It's just too hard to say at this point and trying to figure it out isn't going to do any good unless the other fish are showing symptoms.

It's really hard to figure out these type of problems with a limited amount of data to go off of. We don't know the history of the system, like how old it is, and with partially answered questions it gets kinda frustrating for us as much as it is for the person that lost an animal. I can say most of us here hate to see someone lose any livestock.

Back