Wats wrong with Kole Tang

That’s a ton of fish, and big fish too, for such a new tank.

Im interested in the parameters when @Beastvo gets home. Regardless, my recommendation is going to be to take 10 steps back and slow down.

I agree, I was planning on taking a moment before adding any thing new to the tank to make sure everything is taken control of and would be beneficial for the fish inside the tank and to present a better image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more tangs you put into a small space the higher the aggression will get. It's food related stress with fish that are territorial. Four in a 125 is really pushing it, if not over the top. There are two ways to combat it. Less tangs, which has unfortunately already happened. And feeding them REALLY well, lot's of Nori. The issue with feeding well is dealing with the excess nutrients in the water. If not dealt with will create a whole host of other problems.

The more tangs you put into a small space the higher the aggression will get. It's food related stress with fish that are territorial. Four in a 125 is really pushing it, if not over the top. There are two ways to combat it. Less tangs, which has unfortunately already happened. And feeding them REALLY well, lot's of Nori. The issue with feeding well is dealing with the excess nutrients in the water. If not dealt with will create a whole host of other problems.

I give them seaweed every single day and feed them pellets two times a day... and what is Nori?

I give them seaweed every single day and feed them pellets two times a day... and what is Nori?

Dried seaweed sheets, the type used to make sushi. When I say a lot of nori I mean several quarter sheets placed in multiple different areas of the tank.

@Adam is on point. While it is possible to stock tangs with that density, your skillset isn’t there yet, and your tank can’t handle it yet either. Both you and your tank need time to grow. What you’re trying to accomplish with that stocking is, in my opinion, just barely over the edge of what even experts would do.

I’m not giving you any orders or requests, but I think you need to consider re-homing some (maybe 2-4) fish. Definitely the Dragon Wrasse and Bird Wrasse, if you want to keep your corals. Most likely the Foxface. And maybe 1 of the tangs.

Even if you removed 4 fish, I’m sure many veterans would agree that you’re still being overly aggressive and have too many fish.

Edit: For reference,
4 month old tank, 125 gallons
•1 sailfin Tang
•1 Yellow Tang
•1 bird wrasse
•1 dragon Wrasse

•1 Melanarus Wrasse
•1 Bristletooth Tang
•1 FoxFace
•1 Kole Tang

•1 Anemone
• Corals
...even this is too many fish too fast.

Last edited:
When I had my 210 gallon up and running I had three tangs, all from different genus's. When @ActiveAngel said Zebrasoma, that is a genus. While fish from the same genus may be colored completely different their body design will be very similar, if not identical. Other than the same species the same genus has the highest aggression. You also had two Bristletooth tangs, very likely there was fighting between them too. Now feed them in only one spot and the perfect disaster was created.

I highly recommend this book.

This thread on R2R is also a great resource for Reef Safe Wrasses.

Lastly here's one on Tang Aggression.

Even if you removed 4 fish, I’m sure many veterans would agree that you’re still being overly aggressive and have too many fish.

Edit: For reference,
4 month old tank, 125 gallons
•1 sailfin Tang
•1 Yellow Tang
•1 bird wrasse
•1 dragon Wrasse

•1 Melanarus Wrasse
•1 Bristletooth Tang
•1 FoxFace
•1 Kole Tang

•1 Anemone
• Corals
...even this is too many fish too fast.
i agree thats a lot of fish and big fish for such a new tank when my 150 was 4 months i had 2-3 fish i think i didn't add an anemone til my tank was 10 months and i also in the future you may want to think about setting up a quarantine tank its a pain i know but all it takes is 1 fish with a parasite to wipe out your entire tank

All good advice. How is the anemone doing? If it starts to die you need to remove ASAP and do a couple large water change and run carbon.

Back