What is this beown dust

Going to vacuum the sump and a bit of the top layer....

I was just telling where I read it

You will need a shop vac or something to vacuum the sump. A siphon won't work.

Unfortunately the Internet is loaded with erroneous and 'mythinformation'.

You have seen firsthand how mulm can accumulate if you don't vacuum.

Jenn

In my experience, the vaccum is possibly the most beneficial thing one can do for their tank, short of the actual water change, itself.

It pulls out a lot of poop and other settled stuff that is polluting the water. Take your time with it and get good at it. The more poop you can pull out, the less poop in your tank, and the cleaner the tank is.

Yes, it sounds like "duh" simplicity. But you're right... There are many who don't vaccum, and justify it some way. Vacuuming is a pain in the butt. If it were as "Kum Ba Ya" feel good like feeding is, then everyone would do it.

When we poop, gravity removes the vast majority away from our bodies. It can be nasty, but if we don't physically wipe and remove the rest, bad things happen.

Vacuuming is kinda like wiping the tank.

Generalky speaking, I suck sand up at full speed up to a point of the siphon bell and then squeeze the line shut to allow the sand to fall. The detritus stays suspended for the most part. Then I open back up to suck the detritus out.

That's the basics to it. There are a lot of variations that you can play around with.

Hope this helps!

Miami Dolfan;999647 wrote: How do I vacuum without taking most of the sand with it??

When I had fine sand, I would pink the hose a bit to slow down the flow and let the sand fall out while the junk would remain suspended in the water column.

I have to agree with both of you. I have read alot about not stiring up the sand. There is alot of benificial bacteria living in the sand and i can see you not wanting to suck them out but on the other side with the topic leaving it alone to long you will get the "swamp gas"effect. that will be bad. I clean what i can in my tank but atleast half my sand is under rocks....

bcrueter;999657 wrote: I have to agree with both of you. I have read alot about not stiring up the sand. There is alot of benificial bacteria living in the sand and i can see you not wanting to suck them out but on the other side with the topic leaving it alone to long you will get the "swamp gas"effect. that will be bad. I clean what i can in my tank but atleast half my sand is under rocks....

I suspect that the bulk of the beneficial bacteria will remain attached to the surface area of the Rock and sand while the yeah won't. In addition, when don in moderation, I believe any BB that would be lost would quickly be replenished via reproduction. Just my opinion.

Crimp the hose to control flow. Lighter poop goes up, sand goes back down.

The bacteria live ON the sand, the only ones you'll lose are attached to the bit of sand you will inevitably lose.

Arthropods (amphipods/copepods) will avoid the siphon too. If you think you're sucking them up, wait for your waste water to settle and try to see any. Chances are, you won't.

I always suggest putting rock on bare glass, then add sand. For one, you won't have an avalanche caused by a tunneling creature digging out the foundation from under the rocks, and crap won't get trapped in sand compressed by rocks. Yes, a bit of detritus will inevitably get there, cleaning substrate is not an exact science, but if you can get most of it out, that's a plus.

No matter how careful you are, you aren't going to get all of it. If you can get most of it, you're doing it right.

Jenn

Cleaned up the sump tonight with my wet vac...took the pump skimmer and refugium all out. The bottom looked like mud, I was thinking this was just sand from the rocks. I also vacuumed about one quarter of the tank. Certain sections we're clear while others were brown. It does not look like my sand was that dirty but the water was brown that is a first. I will continue to vacuum little by little.

Just a follow up. Tested all of the params this weekend, 1 week after the "major" clean out and the phosphate, nitrate are at zero.

Calcium is around 420 - 440
dKH about 11

Thanks

Is there anything else I should be testing? I I have a AP I testers kit, it comes with the usual phosphate , calcium, nirate, but no magnesium.

API test kits are crap, BTW.

Parameters vital to live support:

Temperature
Specific Gravity
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Any problems with the above are life-threatening.

Parameters that should be monitored/adjusted for coral health:

Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium

If any of those last 3 are out of whack, usually they won't directly kill something but they will make corals 'unhappy' and impede growth. If they are REALLY out of whack I suppose they can kill (low/high alk in particular).

So I noticed the tank being a bit cloudy so I tested the ammonia out of hunch and it was off the charts high. I did a 10g water change, changed out the carbon, and turned the skimmer up a bit. I made another batch of 15g salt for tonights change, but do u think the vacuuming led to this?

This am the ammonia is very low, almost too low for what it was yesterday, but the skimmer cup is nearly full and I did not tweak it that much for the cup to fill up in one day

You had tons of stuff built up in you substrate. You have released some of it into the water column. Doesn't surprise me that you see an ammonia spike or that you skimmer is going crazy. But, both are good things if managed correctly. Means you are removing nasty stuff from your system. JMO.

What was the ammonia reading? Again, those API test kits are iffy at best.

If you do seriously suspect ammonia, use some Seachem Prime to bind it up until it can process.

The fish were also very lethargic yesterday, thats when I really started to notice.. Actually the kids told me "Dory is sleeping"

So yesterday about 1pm the api ammonia test was 2-4mg/l (depends on how I read the green, but it was a dark green.

Today, the fish are back to themselves, and the test I just did is between .25 and .5 mg/l again, depends on how I read the color card.

The cloudiness, haze has gone away.

"Dory" is back to herself and swimming around. Scary for sure and I think I have made it thru the high spike but should I change out another 15g today?

Also, isnt it strange how one moment the ammonia level was 0, then off the charts, now its almost back to normal? All live stock is accounted for.

I did nothing I normally do not due, but I did add 15 snails to a 65g display, with 20g sump on Friday Night. NO water, just picked them out of the back and dropped them in

Thanks!

Yes, it's not normal for a huge spike and then nearly nothing the next day.

Back