What is your reef temperature?

Interesting that it was brought back up. Between the cold weather, the added system volume from my frag tank, and changing out my skimmer to something that uses a lot less electricity, my 500W of heaters have had a hard time keeping up overnight. The other night, the heaters were on all night, and the system still dropped to 75 degrees.

I've added another 500W of heaters, and now it seems to stay stable overnight at 78 degrees...

i am keeping my NPS tank righting now at 77 but i am thinking of dropping it a little bit lower say around 75ish. this is do to the fact the corals come from a great depth then sps.

Wow... My 160g-ish water volume is kept warm by two 200w heaters.

My tank was running between 82-84 steadily. everything was great. i attributed it to the switch to mh lighting. i recently noticed my heater was on in the refugium and it should not have been. come to find out, the heater was turning itself on at random. I am lucky it didn't get too out of control as it was doing this for about 9 months

Mine stays at a nice 82 most the time...It might dip down to 80 at night...Once it dropped to 76 from 82 and killed about 6 frags of Acro...Monti's were just fine....

My temp is at about 78 every morning when the lights go on. 12 hours later, it is at 80 when the lights cut off. So, there is a 2 degree swing per cycle. QUESTION for everyone... is such a swing okay or will I have problems. Right now, I have not yet added any coral but intent to. I have live rock, shrimp, snails, crabs, 2 clowns, and a BTA. Tank is a 34 gallon.

I used to keep mine at 77 but slowly raised it to 80 so My chiller doesnt have to work as hard.It only comes on for around 5-10 minutes every hour or so in the summer months and maybe 5 minutes every hour-15min in the winter months.It came on MUCH more often when I kept it at the lower temp.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic75685-9-1.aspx">http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic75685-9-1.aspx</a>

Eric Borneman:
There are relatively few tropical coral reefs that are in the 70's except perhaps slightly more subtropical ones during winter or those that happen to exist in areas of persistent upwelling or colder currents. Few of the animals, especially corals, are collected from these areas. Temperatures on the reefs where are animals are collected are generally always above 80 and generally below 88. Daily swings of from 0-12 degrees F are not uncommon and can happen several times a day. Temperature is truly not one of the things to worry about in tanks unless you can say what strains of zooxanthellae are present, where the corals were collected from, what species (and thus their environmental sensitivity), synergistic stressors (as corals do well near their upper thermal limits) and to ensure that temperatures do not exceed, say, 90F for extended periods of time. A swing from mid70's to 90 (for example, a heater malfunction) that lasts for a day will probably cause problems for some animals if they are acclimated to a constant temperature. The problems with losing animals from temperature related events is what happens when they die in a closed system and most of the mass tank losses from such events is probably not a direct result of high temps alone. But, I also feel that given the multitiude of things that can go wrong in tanks and the fact that they are tanks withouth the inherent variability of the ocean, that pushing temps to the uppper limit where they might be happiest in the wild may not be ideal in tanks. So, I think 82-84 is right where you have some safety margin in upper thermal limits and within the range where most tropical reef corals and those collected for the trade do best.

Well, after most post with Eric Borneman & Jonathan Bertoni, I have since raised my temp to 82. Sprung & others give it an awesome argument, but common sense says 82 is it!

I target 82 F as the base temperature for my tanks. I haven't seen any reason to go lower for a tropical reef tank. I agree with Eric's analysis. There's a lot of studies in this area, if you want to do some research.

Hobby Experience: 8 years

mysterybox;141689 wrote: http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic75685-9-1.aspx">http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic75685-9-1.aspx</a>

Eric Borneman:
There are relatively few tropical coral reefs that are in the 70's except perhaps slightly more subtropical ones during winter or those that happen to exist in areas of persistent upwelling or colder currents. Few of the animals, especially corals, are collected from these areas. Temperatures on the reefs where are animals are collected are generally always above 80 and generally below 88. Daily swings of from 0-12 degrees F are not uncommon and can happen several times a day. Temperature is truly not one of the things to worry about in tanks unless you can say what strains of zooxanthellae are present, where the corals were collected from, what species (and thus their environmental sensitivity), synergistic stressors (as corals do well near their upper thermal limits) and to ensure that temperatures do not exceed, say, 90F for extended periods of time. A swing from mid70's to 90 (for example, a heater malfunction) that lasts for a day will probably cause problems for some animals if they are acclimated to a constant temperature. The problems with losing animals from temperature related events is what happens when they die in a closed system and most of the mass tank losses from such events is probably not a direct result of high temps alone. But, I also feel that given the multitiude of things that can go wrong in tanks and the fact that they are tanks withouth the inherent variability of the ocean, that pushing temps to the uppper limit where they might be happiest in the wild may not be ideal in tanks. So, I think 82-84 is right where you have some safety margin in upper thermal limits and within the range where most tropical reef corals and those collected for the trade do best.

Well, after most post with Eric Borneman & Jonathan Bertoni, I have since raised my temp to 82. Sprung & others give it an awesome argument, but common sense says 82 is it!

I target 82 F as the base temperature for my tanks. I haven't seen any reason to go lower for a tropical reef tank. I agree with Eric's analysis. There's a lot of studies in this area, if you want to do some research.

Hobby Experience: 8 years[/QUOTE]

but the problem is that if your tank is at 82 and you get a frag from someone who keeps their tank at 72ish that is a big jump so i keep mine in between at 77-78 so there is less of a jump if at all.

if the corals you get are from the wild then keeping our tank that high is reasonable.

Most corals in the natural environment are collected somewhere around 84 degrees. Fish seem to do well in cooler water and believe this is mainly due to the fact the oxygen levels in cooler water are higher. Also, the metabolic rates in cooler water are slower thus less waste is produced. Higher temps do seem to speed up the growth of corals (and likley other tank inhabitants) which is likely a result of the increased metabolic rate.

As for Borneman in his book Aquarium Corals he states the average minimum average of 70F and max of 86F with an average of 82F.

the above reply from Eric Borneman & Jonathan Bertoni was their response to me, when I asked them what temperature should I keep my mostly stony coral mixed reef at. If they shoot for 82, then that's good enough for me.

That number is fine for the ocean (and for tanks really), but there are several advantages to running tanks colder.

running the tank cooler causes its inhabitants' metabolic rates to slow down.

i believe this was THE reason why experts suggest a lower than ocean temperature. also, if i recall correctly, the higher temps assist microalgae proliferation?

Mine runs around 76 to 78......and my 25G sitting next to me is at 72.6 all the time...(no chiller either)

I don't like hot water......corals don't either..

Also...I have talked to Walt Smith personally and all of his corals he says are taken from the 76 degree or cooler water.....So there seems to be a discrepancy in coral collection temperatures.....I don't disagree with Eric B, but I can say that the waters of the Caribbean I dive are below 82 degrees...

and the good corals are in the 77 degree temp range...

Heck the GAI keeps the Tropical tank at the 78 degree range I believe...

Another good thing about low temps..I only have to clean the algae off the glass once a week at best.

Cameron;141797 wrote: Most corals in the natural environment are collected somewhere around 84 degrees.

I agree with Todd here - I've dived a number of places around the world, and I've seen some incredible corals, but never 84 degrees. Sometimes 82, but usually 80 or less...

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/oisst/">http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/oisst/</a>

it looks like around 82.4 to 84 to me.

As a diver....the only thing I see in 84 degree water temps is gorgs and Fire corals....

Back