What is your reef temperature?

mine runs 75.5 lights off and up to around 78 with them on 250w mh and dual actnics

Wow......

When I had my big system, I ran a consistant 82 degrees. The corals seemed to like it, and I'd heard that higher temps help to keep parasites at bay.

With my new nano, I'm finding that running higher temps, it's difficult to keep it from spiking occasionlly. so my target it closer to eighty as corals seem to do better at higher temps.

I keep the 72 between 80-81. The 30 has no sump/fuge (YET) will have soon. It goes from 79 night to 81 with lights on. HO T5 about 3 inches above tank. Heater in 30 sucks will be replaced shortly. All corals and fish doing ok. Better in 72 where temp is more stable (much better heater stays within 1 degree) all tanks have digital termometers.

Schwaggs;31032 wrote: Nope, check this out... http://www.naia.com.fj/research/water.html">http://www.naia.com.fj/research/water.html</a> The temps vary from a low of 78 to a high of 85! Of couse, these temp changes happen over weeks, not hours. I do believe daily temp stability is key in our captive systems.[/QUOTE]

guess someone hasn't dove the waters of Belize or Roatan in August - September where the water can be 90 degrees at the surface and 86-88 degrees at 100' below the surface. and you will find some of the most brilliant sps and lps colonies anywhere in the world during those months. I have litterly just hovered over coral beds for 45 minutes just taking in the amazing colors and watching the life darting around the coral heads

Arringar;791589 wrote: My 155 used to run 80-83 and everything was happy with amazing growth. I run my 60 at 75-77 under LEDs and growth is quite a bit slower. Not sure if it is temp/temp swing or the lighting but growth is a lot slower than I'd like.

Hmmm interesting, what type of lights did you run on your 155?

I like it around 77, no higher than 78, ever. I think cooler tanks are more stable and it's easier on the fish. I get that higher temperatures may encourage fast growth, but if you are a capable reefer, your stuff will grow regardless. I've seen crazy successful tanks though anywhere from 76-82, so it's all up to you. But in general, colder temps breed more stability IMO.

I keep mine a 76 (room temp)with a chiller until it gets really stupid hot out. The tank will hunt back and forth between heat and cool if you dont keep the temp gradiant large enough between the heater and chiller. (unless you have a fancy controller).

I have not used a chiller all summer, and my temps have usually been between 78-81, with 81 being towards the end of the photoperiod. This is with 1600 watts of halide light, and 660 watts of VHO Super Actinic light. I keep a fan blowing over the sump that comes on at a temp of 79.5.

I use this made by Marc on a Ranco controller, and my temp never went over 78....stayed between 75-78 with two 400 watt MH over a 90.

My 75 gallon runs from 76-79, at the highest 80 at the end of the photo period. 2, 175 watt MH and Radion LED in center. I've got a fan built into the top of the canopy but when the temp gets 79 a fan kicks on over the sump.
I was just going to order a double fan off ebay for $15.

That's a nice fan, I'm going to take a look for a smaller version.
Ralph ATL;988605 wrote: I use this made by Marc on a Ranco controller, and my temp never went over 78....stayed between 75-78 with two 400 watt MH over a 90.

Good news is my temp will drop at least 2 degrees next week when I change out this "Mag 9" to a quite one 4000. I'll even be able to run the MaxieJet 2500 on my UV and keep temp in check.
I would prefer to keep my temp 78.5 for slower, safer prams.

Back