Whats up with cap bay?

I'm going to side with Tony on this one. We need to take a breath, and give CBA the benefit of the doubt. There are times that stores can't carry the same amount of livestock and drygoods due to their OWN issues.

I don't think we can make blanket statements like these regardless of the store. CBA is a supporter of the club and deserves some slack. Regardless of the amount of "atta boys" we give the stores it is these types of threads that cause good sponsors from supporting us.

Rob

Hey I can generalize too! Some</em> people in this thread think they are "generalizing" when in fact the topic of this thread is one LFS in particular and everything else in their rant is about that same LFS... So I think its fair to generalize that their critcisms were in fact directed at CBA and possibly their ilk as well.

Anyways, I think its clear they probably didn't know about the flatworms. So there's no duty to warn even by someone</em>'s standards.

As for the whole clam bomb thing, that's another thread where people were bashing CBA and each other. Tony just doesn't want to see this thread end up like that one which is reasonable. Honestly, I'm not sure why CBA remains as a club sponsor, I don't really think they get much out of it and they certainly aren't getting much love from some</em> members.

Well, it was civil. Guess that's gone out the door.

And just for the record, I wasn't singling out CBA and replacing their name with LFS. The only thing that I directed at them was the fact that they have alot of tanks with corals in them that are very nice that they are holding for their launch of their internet site that aren't for sale. I personally don't agree with barring local customers from buying said corals, b/c they are reserved for online buyers. I think more attention and appreciation should go to local customers vs online buyers. But this is in my opinion only.

Everything else I said was a generalization of any LFS and not directed at CBA. I have shopped many a time at CBA and spent ALOT of money there. The only prob I have with them, is what I stated above. I will also continue to shop there, b/c IMO they have the best coral selection around.

Maveri9720;39735 wrote: The only thing that I directed at them was the fact that they have alot of tanks with corals in them that are very nice that they are holding for their launch of their internet site that aren't for sale. I personally don't agree with barring local customers from buying said corals, b/c they are reserved for online buyers. I think more attention and appreciation should go to local customers vs online buyers. But this is in my opinion only..

You have to put yourself in CBA's shoes. I can only guess, but I imagine building an online website from scratch that interfaces with your store to keep track of your inventory is pretty difficult. You have to spend time taking pics of corals and building the webpages. Now if people are constantly buying the corals you're trying to build a website around, then that would result in a lot of wasted time.

Hopefully, after the site is launched and established, anyone (local or online) will be able to buy their goods at CBA. You just have to cut them a little slack in this transition period.

I really hope so. Just wonder how much money they are possibly losing by not selling those corals to prospective and eager buyers?

Hopefully the site will be up soon and this will become a moot point and I can go back to being totally broke by spending all of my money at CBA.:sad:

Just wait until their site goes live and buy it online. Is it really that big of a deal?

It's only a big deal when you drive all the way there, just to see the corals you want to buy aren't for sale and then you drive all the way home empty-handed.

Once the site goes live, hopefully this won't be a problem anymore.

It's disappointing for me and I live 45 mins or so away, it would be devastating for people who live further out, like Macon or north GA. Especially with gas prices nowadays. A few years ago, when gas was around $1.25, I wouldn't have minded, but now I have to keep an eye on gas consumption and try to consolidate trips and eliminate joy rides. It just costs too much now.

Maveri9720;39713 wrote: I feel it's their responsibility to tell any customer buying from an infected tank that there is a possibility their purchase may be infected also and to treat accordingly before putting into a display tank.

I cannot disagree with this in the least; you're right, they should pay attention to their tanks, and if they know, they shoudl tell you. However, they simply can't always know, and it's been my understanding that buying livestock, esp. fish, one should always operate under the old maxim "Caveat emptor", or, "Buyer beware." Sure, we like the places best that give us warnings... I go out of my way to do this at my place of work, but, given my secondary background in biology and animal care/training, this has always been a given for me. Besides, for the experienced or serious reefer, a sign saying "warning, our livestock this week might have 'X', please exercise caution before placing in your tank" would be one thing, but I'd be willing to bet it might just drive off a lot of customers who don't know any better, the less serious or less knowledgeable types (errrrr *cough* freshwater keepers *cough*... really, who can take freshwater seriously :p ), etc.

I wish it were more ideal; that every LFS could examine in close and careful detail every fish and coral and water sample that comes in to the store, be it from suppliers or customer trades, but they just can't. I applaud you for taking better preventative measures than I do, but really, if I had a sign in the front window of my store that said "Warning, any computer leaving this building might be virus infected", I don't think I'd get many customers. Yes, I do my ****edest to prevent this from happening, esp. since we get PAID to clean viruses, etc., off of machines, but you know, it IS possible it could happen and I'd miss it. However, at the same time, whenever I have a suspicion that a computer still ight not be completely clean for some reason, I'll tell the customer as much, too... It's a balancing act, I guess, and a lot depends on the quality and values of ones employees, as much as it is the owners of the business themselves.

Me, I've never had a bad experience at CBA. Granted, I haven't bought much stock from there like I imagine some of you have, and the one clam I did get from there died, but that was more likely mine or my roommates fault than anything else (he moved it one day... apparently not gently enough, as it died the next day), and I just hate to see one of my favorite stores getting a bad rap, that's all.

CGill311;39739 wrote: You have to put yourself in CBA's shoes. I can only guess, but I imagine building an online website from scratch that interfaces with your store to keep track of your inventory is pretty difficult. You have to spend time taking pics of corals and building the webpages. Now if people are constantly buying the corals you're trying to build a website around, then that would result in a lot of wasted time.

Hopefully, after the site is launched and established, anyone (local or online) will be able to buy their goods at CBA. You just have to cut them a little slack in this transition period.

Exactly my thoughts!

I agree with everything you said. If they know they have a problem, they should inform, if they don't know, then obviously they can't inform anyone.

I haven't had a bad experience with them either, except for the clam PB and everyone was hit with that and it is widespread, so I don't fault CBA, especially since they were nice enough to do a PB with us in the first place.

I'm not posting here to give CBA a bad name or discredit them in any way. I like them and have bought alot of things from them and will continue to in the future. I just disagree with them on one aspect.

Maveri9720;39750 wrote: It's only a big deal when you drive all the way there, just to see the corals you want to buy aren't for sale and then you drive all the way home empty-handed.

Once the site goes live, hopefully this won't be a problem anymore.

It's disappointing for me and I live 45 mins or so away, it would be devastating for people who live further out, like Macon or north GA. Especially with gas prices nowadays. A few years ago, when gas was around $1.25, I wouldn't have minded, but now I have to keep an eye on gas consumption and try to consolidate trips and eliminate joy rides. It just costs too much now.

Exactly the reason I've never been to Poseidon's Reef.

I would definitely recommend going on their customer appreciation night and possibly carpooling. It's worth it.

I am sick of all the politics. God forbid someone talk bad about a sponsor. It is never there fault. It is always everyone elses fault!

tsciarini;39718 wrote: Watching this thread along with others steadily getting out of hand...

Just to make a comment on the people that are dropping bombs about clam health and CBA. <u>This was not an isolated event at CBA.</em></u> I've been in contact with another club, a clam distributor and other boards that have all been experiencing similar issues. Even at SWU, I spoke with Bob Fenner about the general clam heath across the country (and world) and we only started the conversation because he mentioned something about it in his presentation.
(this goes back to my original comment in the disastrous clam thread where I said that there was likely something going on that us non-scientists aren't seeing.)

Anyway... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep your comments in this thread respectful and reasonable. A business has the right to sell or not sell anything they choose. If they were in a black tank that you couldn't see in, would it still be a problem? I'm sure that if they had the space and resources, they would setup seperate systems somewhere else but they only have the room to house so much.

Also, please take in consideration how your comments are representative of the club...

Tony, Please tell us your dressed, please:yuk: :lol2:

Well, I think I need to clearify my point. I hope that people learn the lesson that bad things can come in on ANYTHING we bring in our tanks. You NEED to protect yourself. It is not Cap Bays fault that you get flatworms or Ich in your tank, you know better and you choose to take that risk. I do believe that some LFS sell items they know are at greater risk or come froma tank that is experiencing problems and pass it off to the customer as, "You know better".

So to clearify my point, Shame on you for not being careful about what you put in your tank. And shame on any LFS that sells anything from a tank that they know has a problem without warning the customer.

There, let the hate mail stop! :D

Maveri9720;39735 wrote: I personally don't agree with barring local customers from buying said corals, b/c they are reserved for online buyers. I think more attention and appreciation should go to local customers vs online buyers.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I whole heartily agree. Your locals go through all the trouble driving from places like Macon, Lawrenceville, Augusta and even further should be given the opportunity to buy what ever is displayed. If you don’t want to sell it don’t display it.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>

CGill311;39739 wrote: Now if people are constantly buying the corals you're trying to build a website around, then that would result in a lot of wasted time.
Hopefully, after the site is launched and established, anyone (local or online) will be able to buy their goods at CBA.

People buying products from a store, what a concept! In the mean time let's make people in Illinois happy(they'll pay shipping, but NO SALES TAX) and us locals can go to Petland.

Well, while my first thought was to agree with Cameron on the issue of setting up entries and pics for online sales for every item, and the hassle it would be if people just come and snatch them out of the store and the followup removal of the item from the database...

... The fact remains that they have to do this anyway in regards to the online orders they're going after in the first place, whether it's sold to a customer in the store or a customer in Wisconsin.

As someone involved in both local and on-line markets, I understand wanting to go into business online and expand one's customer base thusly, but if you're going to keep an LFS open, it doesn't make a lot of sense to slight your own local sales in a public walk-in store (that you have to pay rent on anyway) just for some theoretical sales at a later date on-line... It would seem more reasonable to sell the item to the cash-in-hand walk-in customer, and use the profits from said sale to by more items to stock not only to public store, but the private space that is dedicated to online sales as well.

Back