What's Your Experience at the Expo and What Did You Score?

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
so I attended the expo for the first time and I'm glad that I went. too bad that I couldn't get more stuffs and had to leave early. I would like to know what your experience was like? what did you get and how much were them? are the prices fair? were the speeches/speakers enlightening? etc...

on a different note, when I was shopping around I heard that there's lack of attendees/hobbyists. would this year's performance impact next year's list of vendors? when do we get to know about the vendors' feedback and their possible involvement next year?

I had a great time at the expo this year! Won a new pair of Picasso clowns, bought a few frags and enjoyed meeting new people and seeing all the different coral. I also heard the attendance was a little low, around 100 people, versus last years close to 400 attendees. Although, vendors said that business was steady. Compared to last year, there where probably a few less vendors, maybe 3-5 less. But Rich also said he had a few people contact him about booths, but registration had already ended. Hopefully next year, we will have just as many vendors if not more.

hzheng33;1033095 wrote: I also wonder if you get a better deal toward end of the expo since some vendors might not want to haul the livestock that didn't get sold. anyone had that better bargain experience?

+1
I wasn't able to stick around and find out.

My experience:

1) Prices were fair and the range I noted was $10 - $200. Something for everyone.
2) Good selection of corals.
3) Both speakers were interesting and brought a different side to the hobby than I see day-to-day.
4) I thought the attendance was low. Each speaker only drew about 20 attendees.
5) At 5:00 pm one vender asked me to make an offer, Stating "he was just trying to cover gas money".

My concerns:
1) Was traffic & sales enough to have the vendor return in the future?
2) ARC members should have turned out (I was there most of the day and don't believe I saw more than 40 people at one time... I did not count them... just perception.)

My score:
1) Fungia plate coral... purple with green mouth and trim. ($75)
2) Red psammacora ($40)
3) Dragon Skin leptoseris coral ($75)
4) AA War Coral ($20)
5) Doc's Eco Egg Brew and Doc's Eco Supper Eggs ($30)

elFloyd;1033098 wrote: My experience:

1) Prices were fair and the range I noted was $10 - $200. Something for everyone.
2) Good selection of corals.
3) Both speakers were interesting and brought a different side to the hobby than I see day-to-day.
4) I thought the attendance was low. Each speaker only drew about 20 attendees.
5) At 5:00 pm one vender asked me to make an offer, Stating "he was just trying to cover gas money".

My concerns:
1) Was traffic & sales enough to have the vendor return in the future?
2) ARC members should have turned out (I was there most of the day and don't believe I saw more than 40 people at one time... I did not count them... just perception.)

My score:
1) Fungia plate coral... purple with green mouth and trim. ($75)
2) Red psammacora ($40)
3) Dragon Skin leptoseris coral ($75)
4) AA War Coral ($20)
5) Doc's Eco Egg Brew and Doc's Eco Supper Eggs ($30)
when the vendor asked you to make an offer, was it for one or multiple corals?

Nothing specific so I guess just one or any. By then I had already spend my budget, so ended up moving on.

Thought the day was great. Didn't stay long but enjoyed my time. Bought 5 nice pieces thought prices were fair and had a great time. Daughter loved seeing all the different clowns

I've only been to the one in Birmingham but I wasn't impressed especially with a couple of the vendors buying stuff from one of the sponsors and charging double what I could get it from the sponsor for. Wish I could've made it today but life wouldn't allow it :( can't wait to see a pics of all the new corals people got

indecloudzua;1033108 wrote: I've only been to the one in Birmingham but I wasn't impressed especially with a couple of the vendors buying stuff from one of the sponsors and charging double what I could get it from the sponsor for. Wish I could've made it today but life wouldn't allow it :( can't wait to see a pics of all the new corals people got

I think the show is coming to Birmingham tomorrow

Yeah, I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow. Last time was nothing but softies. All you ATL high rollers get all the good stuff

LSU_fishFan;1033109 wrote: I think the show is coming to Birmingham tomorrow

Yes it will be in Birmingham tomorrow.

Attendance seemed lower this year than it was last year however there were a number of other events in the area.....many High School Graduations and the State Baseball playoffs were going on today. I'm sure there were plenty of others including college graduations that distracted people. If it had rained as originally forecasted, the attendance may have been higher.

I really thought that this years even was operationally sound, greatly promoted, had the draw of freebies & raffles, and 2 great speakers! OMG!

This is why the ATL lost 2 pro hockey teams since I have been here! 1980.

IMHO.

Anyway, I had a great time! Thanks for everyone that contributed, from the speakers, the sponsors, & the people that showed up!

I would like to personally THANK the leadership that spent hours upon hours of THEIR personal time making this event happen!

THANK YOU!

Ralph ATL;1033117 wrote: I really thought that this years even was operationally sound, greatly promoted, had the draw of freebies & raffles, and 2 great speakers! OMG!

IMHO.

Anyway, I had a great time! Thanks for everyone that contributed, from the speakers, the sponsors, & the people that showed up!

I would like to personally THANK the leadership that spent hours upon hours of THEIR personal time making this event happen!

THANK YOU!

+1
:thumbs:

Ralph ATL;1033117 wrote: I really thought that this years evet was operationally sound, greatly promoted, had the draw of freebies & raffles, and 2 great speakers! OMG!

(LACK OF PARTICIPATION)

IMHO.

THANK YOU!

yupppers

Here is my feelings on the matter. All and all I was actually disappointed. I was expecting a huge event with lots of "LE coral" and that just wasn't the case. I ended up spending more on the entry for my girlfriend and gas than I did at the event simply because the coral offered seemed to be mostly common corals. Maybe it was because I was new to the hobby , but I remember 2 or 3 years ago when I went to the expo , I was amazed at the verity of corals. This year it just wasn't there for me. I feel I could have took a trip to Rits and saw a lot more corals. Anyways here were some of the concerns for me.

1. I shouldn't have to pay $10 to allow my significant other get it. I pay $30 a year and I believe the club as a whole has plenty of money to allow each member a single "guest entry" at each event.

2. I do not like that you can buy raffle tickets for all the raffles. It then becomes a who has the most money game. I believe if you want to allow ticket purchase for prizes , it should be separate from the ARC members raffles. I like things being random, not who spent the most money.

Now this post isn't meant to be a Debby Downer post, I just wanted to let you guys know my honest opinion so that we can better the club.

My first time at this event. Although I enjoyed myself, overall the event was smaller than I thought it would be and the crowd was small.

Personally I found it very hard to find the event. Outside no signs were present. I met a lot of people outside wandering around asking each other if they knew where it was being held. We were all lost. I am sure some gave up.

Only signs was for something called auction.com and nothing indicating the reef show

As for vendors. Overall I thought prices were fair - but I also felt I could get the same from the local stores - no amazing deals

One lesson I learnt - if you spot something by it. I saw something I really liked from reef shack and by the time I walked around and came back for it, it was gone :(

mattgee87;1033135 wrote: Here is my feelings on the matter. All and all I was actually disappointed. I was expecting a huge event with lots of "LE coral" and that just wasn't the case. I ended up spending more on the entry for my girlfriend and gas than I did at the event simply because the coral offered seemed to be mostly common corals. Maybe it was because I was new to the hobby , but I remember 2 or 3 years ago when I went to the expo , I was amazed at the verity of corals. This year it just wasn't there for me. I feel I could have took a trip to Rits and saw a lot more corals. Anyways here were some of the concerns for me.

1. I shouldn't have to pay $10 to allow my significant other get it. I pay $30 a year and I believe the club as a whole has plenty of money to allow each member a single "guest entry" at each event.

2. I do not like that you can buy raffle tickets for all the raffles. It then becomes a who has the most money game. I believe if you want to allow ticket purchase for prizes , it should be separate from the ARC members raffles. I like things being random, not who spent the most money.

Now this post isn't meant to be a Debby Downer post, I just wanted to let you guys know my honest opinion so that we can better the club.

I'll paypal you're ten bucks if you text me your're address you cheap blank...REALLY? are you that shallow?...SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back