What's Your Experience at the Expo and What Did You Score?

Russ-IV;1033995 wrote: Why stop there? I used both....

funny thing is you think i am joking. (all joking aside i used dr tim's so ammonia spiked to .1, and nitrite has been hanging around .25 for 3 days, 5ppm nitrate)

This is even worse.... my lighting and mp40s dont arrive til friday. goni and alveopora are in the sump with a 5000k light

No offense, but why would you do that to a living animal?

Bcavalli;1033999 wrote: No offense, but why would you do that to a living animal?

Not my first tank....

.1 ppm ammonia spike and .25 nitrite isnt going to do anything. Now if i start seeing 1ppm, its time to QT and let things settle.

I have cycled over 15+ tanks (I have 11 now) I would never take that chance with one of my animals, it is a risk! Holley

Russ-IV;1034001 wrote: Not my first tank....

.1 ppm ammonia spike and .25 nitrite isnt going to do anything. Now if i start seeing 1ppm, its time to QT and let things settle.

Raz0945;1034003 wrote: I have cycled over 15+ tanks (I have 11 now) I would never take that chance with one of my animals, it is a risk! Holley

Out of all those tanks.... may i ask how many you used live rock and added fish immediately?

I have used live rock and sand on all of them except 3. I have also used good bacteria on all of them. I test a new tank about every 4 or 5 days and I have had ammonia on the 3rd week. It can be a risk to your animals, I'm not willing to take that risk when a little patience will insure their health. Holley

Raz0945;1034010 wrote: I have used live rock and sand on all of them except 3. I have also used good bacteria on all of them. I test a new tank about every 4 or 5 days and I have had ammonia on the 3rd week. It can be a risk to your animals, I'm not willing to take that risk when a little patience will insure their health. Holley

good advice. i would say the same so dont get me wrong.
Point i was trying to make is, generally live rock will give a mini cycle comparable to the one im experiencing.

The reason it happened was because the expo was a one time thing, and the people i purchased from were in the midwest & north east. I did NOT want to do it either. However i did take a risk and I believe with good husbandry, they will do fine. (except the goniopora which has always been hit or miss)

Raz0945;1034010 wrote: I have used live rock and sand on all of them except 3. I have also used good bacteria on all of them. I test a new tank about every 4 or 5 days and I have had ammonia on the 3rd week. It can be a risk to your animals, I'm not willing to take that risk when a little patience will insure their health. Holley

I just re-read your post after getting settled down here at the house and im kind of amazed....

Most cycles last 4 weeks.... 6 if you abuse without bacteria.

How can you tell me you have done over 15 tanks and have ammonia after 3 weeks? I'm not trying to troll you. But you defy the laws of even newbs cycling new tanks.

I set my tank up mother's day... I have had 0 ammonia for 3 days. This is with 2 clowns, yellow tang, regal tang, wrasse, 2 clowns, BTA, and 2 LPS., and my canary in the coal mine (skunk cleaner).

I've set some hard to cycle tanks, but NEVER has one gone more than 3-4 days with ammonia. Maybe the bacteria in a bottle stuff has spoiled me a bit too much. I am glad you play it safe... but wow... 3 weeks with ammonia using bacteria and live rock?

gimme a break

without bacteria heterotrophs eat the organics on the surface... usually 2-5 days. (the white bacteria cloud)
ammonia is produced by them dying and it starts after the 7-14 day mark (from setup)
nitrite last 2 weeks afterward
month to 6 weeks with a sterile tank

Russ-IV;1034047 wrote: How can you tell me you have done over 15 tanks and have ammonia after 3 weeks? I'm not trying to troll you. But you defy the laws of even newbs cycling new tanks.

I set my tank up mother's day... I have had 0 ammonia for 3 days. This is with 2 clowns, yellow tang, regal tang, wrasse, 2 clowns, BTA, and 2 LPS., and my canary in the coal mine (skunk cleaner).

I've set some hard to cycle tanks, but NEVER has one gone more than 3-4 days with ammonia. Maybe the bacteria in a bottle stuff has spoiled me a bit too much. I am glad you play it safe... but wow... 3 weeks with ammonia using bacteria and live rock?

gimme a break

Russ, I really thought you were joking but I am shocked that you would cycle wall those live animals. I do not use bacteria in a bottle and similar to Holley I see ammonia for several weeks. One thing a lot of us on the forum talk about is patience when setting up and stocking a new tank, nothing good can ever come from moving too fast (especially with folks new to the hobby).

dball711;1034061 wrote: Russ, I really thought you were joking but I am shocked that you would cycle wall those live animals. I do not use bacteria in a bottle and similar to Holley I see ammonia for several weeks. One thing a lot of us on the forum talk about is patience when setting up and stocking a new tank, nothing good can ever come from moving too fast (especially with folks new to the hobby).

Think this says it all

While i agree with your premise and others should learn the slow way.... at no time were any of my parameters of concern for those animals. Instead of using time (which makes no point to the fish) i would have used(do use) the toxicity of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Which i am sure the fish DO CARE about :)

Russ-IV;1034001 wrote: Not my first tank....

:wow2:

.1ppm ammonia over 3 days = A-OK!?

While on the low end of the spectrum only I'd the high is death and low is eyes, gill and organ damage and near death. I'd be completely surprised if day 4 or 5 doesn't prove the end for those occupants.

Spike;1033951 wrote: I suggest we go old school. Just like past frag events before the expo. Fragging demo followed by free frag give aways. I do not remember much complaining back then. Also invite non commercial members and ARC sponsors only to participate with booths. If Steve Tyree wants to do a seperate visit with coral vendors at his preferred location and time so be it. I am sure he would invite the club to participate and welcome promotion of the event along with the club. We use to draw 4-500 people to such event.

We always had a huge turnout, mostly due to the free frags.

We also had it earlier in the year, when there isn't as much going on (maybe other than basketball).

Rit, it was great chatting with you this afternoon. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Atlanta Aquarium;1033704 wrote: Yes, I'm in a better position to help the club these days. I am willing to help anyway I can.

Rit-
As a member of last year's administration I have to apologize for the lack of communication. I wish I had known about some things when they were happening. We had a tough year.

Unfortunately we can't go back and do a better job but we can always do a better job moving forward, and you know I'm available and willing to work with you anyway I can. hopefully I will be stopping by in less of a hurry more now that I have a tank again and we can talk, or give me a call anytime.

Atlanta Aquarium;1034501 wrote: Hi Rich! I was nice to finally to get to meet and chatted with you yesterday. Thank you for stopping by. Sorry I couldn't be more relax to chat. LOL Yesterday was another crazy day.

Thanks Josh, I'll see you soon.

I'll be out to see you this weekend, need some sale and want to get things in motion for a frag of the Phoenix monti...

I ment to mention this a few weeks ago but forgot so anyway , I got a mailer advertising fragapalooza 2015 with a bulb I ordered the other week , I think a mailing advertisements would be a good investment to give away to our sponsors to put in there mail orders , also a nice paper advertisement sitting by the cash register or front door or even put in the bag with a receipt would be a good way to spread the word locally in store .
I meet people all the time that aren't ARC members or forum users so there is definitely a market other than ARC .

Back