What's Your Experience at the Expo and What Did You Score?

I was there shortly after 12:00 and only stayed long enough to view the coral booths: maybe an hour.

I know I saw some very nice pieces, so I can't agree with the comment about the lack of LE corals.

I walked away with 5 nice pieces and I didn't spend a fortune for them.

While there, I found a small crowd at each booth.

I walked out feeling pretty good about my purchases and the event. Hopefully, the attendence was steady all day because I hope the venders return.

Thanks to the BOD and all who helped with the event.

Ralph ATL;1033138 wrote: I'll paypal you're ten bucks if you text me your're address you cheap blank...REALLY? are you that shallow?...SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, so were going to personal attacks? Keep it classy:up:.

All I was saying is I didn't feel I should have to pay to have my g/f walk around with me. Now if there would have been food for the members , free coral per member , etc.. I could see having to pay. Did I say I was right or wrong? I said my OPINION.....

Ralph ATL;1033138 wrote: I'll paypal you're ten bucks if you text me your're address you cheap blank...REALLY? are you that shallow?...SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions. the reason behind this thread was to garner everyone's opinion in this year's expo. I want to thank the people in leadership roles for their effort and dedication to the event. I, too, wish that there was a better indication for the directions though. I was wondering around for a bit before finding out the location of the event.

Thoughts:

++++
Thought the speaker (only saw first one - Ken?) was great! Sound was a bit low in room and only like 20 folks in there, but very interesting and cool..

Organized pretty good. No weird messups that I noticed, and all volunteers showed which was great! Stuck to times pretty well.

Nice variety of coral. Diff $$$ for everyone to budget for.

Ton of prizes given away (most on the lower end, but free is free :eek:)

------------
Low attendance. I am kinda glad I didn't have time to do a booth this year. I am sure some made $, but no where near say 3 yr ago..

No "member frags" given out? I thought that was a regular thing (I didn't need any, but my kid was looking forward to it and I hear a few other kids asking about it). Holly was nice enough to give us a frag for helping so that made up for it :eek:)

I think that is about it on the negatives.. went pretty smooth imo.

Thanks to ALL who put it on, speakers, sponsors, etc!!!!

See ya next year (WITH a booth, so you better bring friends!!)

On a little upper note......daddy went home with a leng sy montipora....so I have nothing more to say, bam!

hzheng33;1033150 wrote: marlon, you can post a pic or it didn't happen

Ooh it happened!

She is in the frag tank and I'll get some snap shots in the AM when the lights come on.

I appreciate the feedback. We can learn from what we hear from all of you. That is always a good thing. If I may, I will try to address some of the issues.

1. I was disappointed in the attendance. Especially for the speakers. This years BoD made a commitment early on to encourage higher attendance at club functions. We work hard to find quality subject matter, new venues and good presenters. In the case of today's show, we brought in two of the biggest names in the hobby. One all the way from Hawaii. To see only 15-20 people give up an hour of there time was disappointing to me.

2. Earlier in this thread, comments indicated that the items available were not the best. I personally saw some amazing items. Even Dana Riddle made a point to mention how he saw some amazing specimens, some of which he had never before seen.

3. Will vendors return? To be honest I don't know. The BoD worked for 4 months to convince these vendors to take the risk associated with purchasing a booth, expense of travel and wear and tear on livestock. Some seemed to do OK, others were very disappointed in sales.

4. The Venue and the timing. This was one of the most difficult tasked we faced. I spent an entire month trying to find a venue that would not eat up all available funds for the event, scheduling around spring breaks and last days of school, avoiding conflicts with other regional events that would drain vendors and attendees. It boiled down to today or nothing.

4. Charging admission for spouses and the raffles. An event like this is a very expensive undertaking. More than I would have thought before being tasked with making it happen. The club IS financially sound. However, it is incumbent upon the BoD to be responsible with the club's funds. A certain amount of annual resources are required to find items the members never consider. Such as the insurance that protects the club should an unfortunate occurrence take place at one of these events. We also need to ensure that funds are available to provide a quality experience for all members through out the year. Therefore, some of the expenses surrounding an event of this nature must be raised via means other than just member due.

It is my sincerest hope that everyone who reads this understands that this is meant as an attempt to answer the questions raised in this thread. No more, no less.

Finally, I want to say thank you to the club members who gave of themselves today. Anyone who was there yesterday evening or from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM today would agree. We have a few members who worked their tails to the ground to make this the best possible experience for you, the member. The BoD work hard too, but we signed up for that when we agreed to have our names put on the ballot. The volunteers who worked so hard over the last few days do so with little or no expectation of accolades for their efforts. They did it because they care about the club. In the next day or two, I will post a specially thank you to these individuals but if I tried tonight I would miss someone. My brain is fried.

So let's all look forward to next year. Let's all join together to make it better than this year and each successive year better than the last.

Thanks
Rich

rdnelson99;1033154 wrote: I appreciate the feedback. We can learn from what we hear from all of you. That is always a good thing. If I may, I will try to address some of the issues.

1. I was disappointed in the attendance. Especially for the speakers. This years BoD made a commitment early on to encourage higher attendance at club functions. We work hard to find quality subject matter, new venues and good presenters. In the case of today's show, we brought in two of the biggest names in the hobby. One all the way from Hawaii. To see only 15-20 people give up an hour of there time was disappointing to me.

2. Earlier in this thread, comments indicated that the items available were not the best. I personally saw some amazing items. Even Dana Riddle made a point to mention how he saw some amazing specimens, some of which he had never before seen.

3. Will vendors return? To be honest I don't know. The BoD worked for 4 months to convince these vendors to take the risk associated with purchasing a booth, expense of travel and wear and tear on livestock. Some seemed to do OK, others were very disappointed in sales.

4. The Venue and the timing. This was one of the most difficult tasked we faced. I spent an entire month trying to find a venue that would not eat up all available funds for the event, scheduling around spring breaks and last days of school, avoiding conflicts with other regional events that would drain vendors and attendees. It boiled down to today or nothing.

4. Charging admission for spouses and the raffles. An event like this is a very expensive undertaking. More than I would have thought before being tasked with making it happen. The club IS financially sound. However, it is incumbent upon the BoD to be responsible with the club's funds. A certain amount of annual resources are required to find items the members never consider. Such as the insurance that protects the club should an unfortunate occurrence take place at one of these events. We also need to ensure that funds are available to provide a quality experience for all members through out the year. Therefore, some of the expenses surrounding an event of this nature must be raised via means other than just member due.

It is my sincerest hope that everyone who reads this understands that this is meant as an attempt to answer the questions raised in this thread. No more, no less.

Finally, I want to say thank you to the club members who gave of themselves today. Anyone who was there yesterday evening or from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM today would agree. We have a few members who worked their tails to the ground to make this the best possible experience for you, the member. The BoD work hard too, but we signed up for that when we agreed to have our names put on the ballot. The volunteers who worked so hard over the last few days do so with little or no expectation of accolades for their efforts. They did it because they care about the club. In the next day or two, I will post a specially thank you to these individuals but if I tried tonight I would miss someone. My brain is fried.

So let's all look forward to next year. Let's all join together to make it better than this year and each successive year better than the last.

Thanks
Rich

Bravo!

MYREEFCLUB0070;1033149 wrote: On a little upper note......daddy went home with a leng sy montipora....so I have nothing more to say, bam!
Hey Marlon, didnt you say you would hold on to my leng sy montipora for a couple months and let it grow out?;)
rdnelson99;1033154 wrote: I appreciate the feedback. We can learn from what we hear from all of you. That is always a good thing. If I may, I will try to address some of the issues.

Thanks
Rich
Rich, I know you have put a lot of time into this expo with little time for breaks. Get some rest and thank you for the time you and the rest of the BoD have put into everything.

Great job everyone! I know everyone appreciates everything the Bod and the volunteers did to make this happen.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1033149 wrote: On a little upper note......daddy went home with a leng sy montipora....so I have nothing more to say, bam!

Uhhhh... I think I consider ME the daddy and you more of the mommy??? :eek:)

It is in 2 good hands and we plan on NOT killing it lol!

- it was lost but now is found. We are 2 of a VERY few who have the legit actual coral. It is really a fascinating story and you should check it out on reeffarmers..

hzheng33;1033095 wrote: I also wonder if you get a better deal toward end of the expo since some vendors might not want to haul the livestock that didn't get sold. anyone had that better bargain experience?
I nabbed a few last minute deals , ppl dont want to drag it home , I got a chalice frag 1/2 price about 5:30.
I believe my favorite part of the day was seeing all my friends Wile I was doing my other favorite thing (looking at coral)

Tbub1221;1033185 wrote:
I believe my favorite part of the day was seeing all my friends Wile I was doing my other favorite thing (looking at coral)

Everyone has their own reasons for attending and expectations of what they want out of the event. This statement speaks for me as well. To me, it is all about the friends I have made and the friends I continue to make. Not counting the months of preparation, I spent 19 hours over the course of Friday and Saturday totally dedicated to this event. Want to know what kind of goodies I brought home? Not a thing. Not one coral, not one door prize. Yet I had a fantastic time and I would do it all over again.

I thought the event was a mixed bag but was worth attending.
I paid for my wife and thought it was completely fair for the event's hosts. Its a bit of cheddar to host these kinds of events and the $10 was more than fair.

The good: Saw some pieces i had never seen before and bought them at a fair price. (although my wife haggled for a bright red anomene with clowns hosting for a killer deal)
In the end $300ish spent within an hour.

The ok: Saw a few stations where people were trying to offload their regular bargain lfs pieces. While i guess its something for everyone, my money went toward the stuff i havent seen at my lfs.

these are my experiences only and why i went. overall it was a great event and i will attend next year.

I'm still upset I had to miss but I did get to attend a beautiful friends wedding in Sarasota.

1mbrews8;1033167 wrote: Uhhhh... I think I consider ME the daddy and you more of the mommy??? :eek:)

It is in 2 good hands and we plan on NOT killing it lol!

- it was lost but now is found. We are 2 of a VERY few who have the legit actual coral. It is really a fascinating story and you should check it out on reeffarmers..

Lol, not so sure about the mommy roll.
For future investors and to verify its the genuine monti, myself and mike shared the cost of the piece and mr. Steve tyree himself fragged it in half.
Looking forward to some good growth and can wait to see what she ends up looking like.

Funny about the Leng Sy cap. I keep trying to kill all mine off. A stray frag grows right up through the middle of my Rasta colony. And I keep whacking it down. And yes, it's the real deal. I brought some to a meeting a few years back when Leng Sy was a speaker. I showed him and he confirmed it. Like any coral, it will only look like the awesome pics you see if you provide the flow and lighting it prefers.

Back