When pigs dive 265gal tank build

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
Just in case your wondering, I'm a big pig fan....:blush:
So I pick up andyn521 265 gallon that was up for sale and ready to start a new build.

Tank : marineland 265gal, dual corner overflows, 84"x24"x30", 400lbs empty, 2520lbs fill with water only and with oak finish trim.

My plans :
* to paint the oak trim to black, although it would not be seen with the canopy and stand trim in place, I just don't like it.
* remote sumps in my garage for more equipment space.

Thanks : Brandon mason and Brandon rueter for helping get this monster moved back to my house.

Opinions and advice is welcome.....maybe;)

I can't wait to see this come together I hope to steal some ideas for my new tank:)
It felt a lot heavier then 400Lbs haha call when you are ready to get that beast on the stand. And by the way it Rueter. C is my middle initial lol.

bcrueter;996712 wrote: I can't wait to see this come together I hope to steal some ideas for my new tank:)
It felt a lot heavier then 400Lbs haha call when you are ready to get that beast on the stand. And by the way it Rueter. C is my middle initial lol.

Ok, ok, I got it fixed, I would call you big bear but don't want to get beaten up....lol.
It felt heavier cause I was closer to the ground and dint have to lift that high.:)

Tank spec update : forgot to mention, tank have starphire front glass, 1" return and 1-1/2" drains through a 1" bulk head.

I started the stand frame today at 9am and was done at 3pm.( just the frame)
Stand is 2"x6" top frame so that there is no sag issue with that weight and the rest is all 2"x4".
Planning on covering it up and making it look pretty at a later day.
I made the stand 35" tall, a little taller than usual cause I don't like bending down to look in, the tank is also going to sit on 1" thick foam.
I'm going to put 1/4" felt pads on the bottom of the stand so it might be able to slide a little easier while the tank is empty and it won't scratch the tile floor if I need to shift it a little.

grouper therapy;996780 wrote: why are you using foam?

It helps the tank sit perfectly level and prevents any pressure points ( if any) from the Stand affecting the bottom of the tank.

The pressure points will be there regardless of the foam. On a tank like yours with a rim I would not recommend foam.

I was planning on high density foam just under the rim only not across the whole tank, so there would be no contact with the glass and that's were the issue lays.
I will change my plans to 1/4" instead of 1" so there is a little cushion but have no room for tilt if any part of the tank is heavier due to rocks etc.

It was great to meet you last week Marlon! I plan on upgrading tank size in the not too distant future so I'll be following along on this one!

BWILLIBY;996957 wrote: It was great to meet you last week Marlon! I plan on upgrading tank size in the not too distant future so I'll be following along on this one!

Nice meeting you too, did you not get my pm on the disc for the camera?
As soon as this 265 gets done, the 120 will be going up for sale if your interested in that size.

So last night I got 6 of my neighbors to come over and give me a hand to get the tank on the frame so I could start to line up plumbing to go through the wall to the garage were the sumps are going to be.
The stand ended up at 35.25" tall with the felt pads on the bottom off the stand and 1/16" high density foam between the bottom of the tank and a top of the stand.
The tank is 31 inches which includes the trim top and bottom, which makes us a total height of 66 1/4 to the top of the tank and she sits perfectly level.

Bcavalli;997146 wrote: I can't wait to see the plumbing for this beast!

So would I, bought a few plumbing parts today but got some more to go before I start punching holds in the wall.

any opinions on setting up the drain and return on this tank, the tank is drilled within the overflows with 2 1" holes each overflow.
* option 1 - standard setup - one drain, one return in each overflow.
* option 2 - 2 drains on one side and 2 return on the other.
* option 3 - 2 drains, 1 emergency drain and 1 return
can't think of any other options, not planning on drilling any other holes in the tank, so this is what i have to work with.
i was thinking i wanted to change the standard setup cause in my opinion the return water flow restricts the top water skim from flowing back into the overflow freely, so if i moved the two return to one side and two drains on the opposite side.
what options does the masses suggest?

Back