When pigs dive 265gal tank build

NorthGaHillbilly;998431 wrote: Lovin it man, what skimmer are you going with?

I'll be running a reef dynamic for a little bit until I can pick up a reef octopus 5000.
Main tank 265gal, sump approximately 75-80gal and going to be adding a frag tank and a refugium to the system soon after she's up and running.

Today's progress after work :
Got the valves in on the drains, got the return check valves in, got one of the return pumps plumbed in and pumped in 16 gallons of RO water into the main tank to start the load and leak test.
So far so good.

What's the gap between the top of sump and table top? Is the skimmer going to fit?

BrandonMason;998650 wrote: What's the gap between the top of sump and table top? Is the skimmer going to fit?

Man, way to rain on my parade....lol
It's 8", guess it all depends on the skimmer at this point.

Check valves.

MYREEFCLUB0070;998654 wrote: Man, way to rain on my parade....lol
It's 8", guess it all depends on the skimmer at this point.

Check valves.

Instead of redoing the stand I would do a hinged top where the skimmer would go. This would result in smaller fug and frag tank

Ok here is a loop, I'm going to fill with RO water incase there is an issue and I have to drain, I don't waste salt ( I'll mix in the tank ), so I was checking water volume and this is what I came up with :
* the tank is a marineland 84"x24"x30" which is sold as a 265gal.
* the inside of the tank is 83.5"x22"x29" which works out to be 230gal
So I lost 35 gallons based on trim and glass thickness which is no big deal, good thing I checked.
Now it works out to be approximately 8 gallons per inche of water in this tank and would take 9 cups of salt per 20gallons to get me 1.025 salinity, which would be 103.5 cups of salt to convert this RO to saltwater.

BrandonMason;998655 wrote: Instead of redoing the stand I would do a hinged top where the skimmer would go. This would result in smaller fug and frag tank
I was thinking on this on my way home and came up with the same idea, glad i wasnt thinking crazy. Most any big skimmer would have a hard time fitting in without access from above

Looking good marlon .Following your build! Can't wait to see complete of your tank.

88 gallons and holding, working my way up slowly, load and leak test going well so far.
Working on the sump while the turkey is in the oven, update on that a little later.

Here is a glimps of the big picture, move from one tank to the other.
Not far to go but a lot of getting wet, still can't wait.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
999068=57765-image.jpg
>
999068=57765-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Today's update:
Got the water level in the main tank up to 190 gallons, still have to build a sock holder for the sump and started to leak and load test the sump.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1000910 wrote: It's only like taking forever, but we are getting some rock work done!
Now thats a scape man! I REALLY like that. Ima have to come see this in person soon.

NorthGaHillbilly;1000942 wrote: Now thats a scape man! I REALLY like that. Ima have to come see this in person soon.

It will look better in the tank and that's only half, I want to use all or as much of the live rock from the other tank but have to wait for this tank to cycle a bit.

Back