When pigs dive 265gal tank build

You could have 1 drain and one emergency on both sides and just bring the returns thru the canopy

BrandonMason;997260 wrote: You could have 1 drain and one emergency on both sides and just bring the returns thru the canopy
that is an option but i don't want to run plumbing up the back of the tank and trough the canopy, looking for a clean finish and want to use the stock holes for what ever options.

If it were me, I would bring the returns over the back . Using one side as only a return will possibly have an issue with stagnant water in the overflow chamber?

How much flow are you planning? you may wind up with a noisy stand pipe if the flow is significant?

You are already planning to cut holes in the wall. Can you run the return plumbing through the wall also? Could look very clean if done right? Of course, the ability to detect leaks could pose problems.

Ok so I might have just been over thinking the whole thing, since the 120 is plumbed up standard and runs quite and perfect, I decided to do the same on this build.
Never had any issues with the drains on the 120 and since there is a union on just about every fitting on this build won't be hard to take apart to do any cleaning or clearing clogs if any did happen.
Like the idea on the herbie, but coming in over the tank is just not my thing.
Wanted to keep it clean and tight with out getting to elaborate, sometimes less is more, that being said i got the two returns plumbed in and through the wall and into the garage.
I also dry fit the drains and got them in the garage too but I have to buy 2 more 1" valves to cut in on the drain lines.

What are your plans for cooling the tank in the summer with the sump in the garage or keeping it warm when its weather like today?

Plans for return : 2 - jebao dc12000, one for each return, like the idea on the dc controllable speed and low heat and don't like external pumps, I know they have more power but also have more potential for leaks.
Wanted to keep it all contained in the sump if I did have any pump leak issues.
Here is the return plumbing under the tank.

BrandonMason;997396 wrote: What are your plans for cooling the tank in the summer with the sump in the garage or keeping it warm when its weather like today?

Well the garage door is insulated and I have a built in 2000watt 220v wall heater in the garage for the winter that keeps me warm while I'm working in there and the tank is going to have 2 -250 watt heater and a 450 watt digital heater in back up mode.
I do have to replace my weather strip above the garage door that let's a little air in, but not too bad.
As for cooling, I have time to look for a big chiller.

BrandonMason;997396 wrote: What are your plans for cooling the tank in the summer with the sump in the garage or keeping it warm when its weather like today?

Well the garage door is insulated and I have a built in 2000watt 220v wall heater in the garage for the winter that keeps me warm while I'm working in there and the tank is going to have 2 -250 watt heater and a 450 watt digital heater in back up mode.
I do have to replace my weather strip above the garage door that let's a little air in, but not too bad.
As for cooling, I have time to look for a big chiller.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
997418=57561-image.jpg
>
997418=57561-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I don't remember your garage ever being THAT hot, I expect you can get evap to do most of your cooling for you

MYREEFCLUB0070;997408 wrote: Plans for return : 2 - jebao dc12000, one for each return, like the idea on the dc controllable speed and low heat and don't like external pumps, I know they have more power but also have more potential for leaks.
Wanted to keep it all contained in the sump if I did have any pump leak issues.
Here is the return plumbing under the tank.

It's really looking good Marlon!

NorthGaHillbilly;997420 wrote: I don't remember your garage ever being THAT hot, I expect you can get evap to do most of your cooling for you

I don't think it's really going to that bad but if I wait till summer the cost of one is only going to go up.
Never really needed a chiller before but it's better to have and not need.

In my opinion I would go with the double herbie. One for each overflow, dead silent and 2 emergency drains. Running the returns over the back would be very easy and completely hidden by a canopy.

2 emergency drains are a huge plus and at full siphon you can get some great turnover on flow. Just my 2 cent.

Looking great! I have seen tons of different styles but I don't see anything wrong with the dersos. If it ain't broke why fix it?

Update :
Picked up a 125gal non drilled tank yesterday to use as the sump, got to get a few pieces of glass cut to use as baffles and it would be ready to go, also got the sump stand framed and plyed today.
Sump is in place, a few plumbing issues to address and looking forward to mixing 200 plus gallons of saltwater in the next few days, I'm going to pump over about 80gals or so from the 120 tank.

Sump will be running about 75 gallon of water and that is with displacement of skimmer etc.

Back