Which rare fish would you get?

FutureInterest;291521 wrote: If no money was no object I would still have all the same fish I have now :).

I agree. I buy what I do because I like them, not because of whatever price tag is attached. Most my fish are fairly common, and that's fine with me. Rare fish just don't add any appreciable value to my own tank, and thus I'll never spend that much for a fish.

mojo;291555 wrote: I agree. I buy what I do because I like them, not because of whatever price tag is attached. Most my fish are fairly common, and that's fine with me. Rare fish just don't add any appreciable value to my own tank, and thus I'll never spend that much for a fish.

Agree somewhat. There are some really cool critters that I would love to have also because *I like them* but they're simply unattainable by law or way out of my price range. I never consider buying a fish as an investment and don't base any purchases on monetary value. There are some pretty expensive clownfish, that do nothing at all for me. The gem tang doesn't appeal to me either.

I'd get the Clarion because I think it's the most beautiful angelfish ever and I'd have leafy sea dragons because I think they're just about the coolest critters in the ocean. A cuttlefish tank would be awesome, too.

P.S. -- this is all fantasy and is based on the assumption that collection/environment wouldn't be an issue and that health/care wouldn't be an issue.

Masked Angel Gencanthus personatus
Maybe not as rare as some of the others but extremely beautiful and captive breeding and rearing are taking place already. Maybe I will be able to obtian 1 soon.

ThumbnailsSummary.php
alt="" /></a>

Fish Scales2;291972 wrote: Masked Angel Gencanthus personatus
Maybe not as rare as some of the others but extremely beautiful and captive breeding and rearing are taking place already. Maybe I will be able to obtian 1 soon.

ThumbnailsSummary.php
alt="" /></a>

WAY more rare than some of the others. Waikiki did breed them, but unfortunately, only one offspring survived and it actually jumped from the tank. So, currently there are no captive bred animals alive. There was one collected in Hawaii recently, and it went o Japan and sold fo huge bucks, where its still doing well.

The family of divers that I deal with has a pair that have spawned and he is currently raising several fry, he seems to think he will be successful. Either way I dont think I will be able to fork out $1500 on a fish anytime soon but that is what dreams are made of.

Fish Scales2;291988 wrote: The family of divers that I deal with has a pair that have spawned and he is currently raising several fry, he seems to think he will be successful. Either way I dont think I will be able to fork out $1500 on a fish anytime soon but that is what dreams are made of.

I find that VERY difficult to believe, but I hope you are right. RCT was the only place in Hawaii that I know of that was breeding angels. And I think 1500 is a very conservatively cheap price for what they will be too. PM with the diver you are speaking of.

1 Mimic Octopus! It would have to be a LARGE reef and I would have theatre seating in the well lit "night" modes for people to watch it!

so are these angle fish math wizards or whats the deal here

:lol2:

Fish Scales2;291988 wrote: The family of divers that I deal with has a pair that have spawned and he is currently raising several fry, he seems to think he will be successful. Either way I dont think I will be able to fork out $1500 on a fish anytime soon but that is what dreams are made of.

Hey man, I have still not been able to contact or confirm this, hopefully true, statement. Here is a page on a recent avaiability of a female personatus in Japan. Expected to be around $10,000!!

a>

THose angles are soooo cool! I looked them up I really like the males too. Are the males more or less than the femals?

Simon.Kruger;308576 wrote: Jeremy, where did you get your Gem Tang from? and do you want to sell it?

I got it from a fellow reefer/importer. He got two and sld me one at cost. I am not looking to sell it anytime soon.

twistoflime;308619 wrote: THose angles are soooo cool! I looked them up I really like the males too. Are the males more or less than the femals?

I hate to be pessimistic, but we wont see any stateside for a long while. They will consistantly go to Asia, where they will get big bucks. The males are considerable more expensive, when they are available.

Ready to get your derams stomped too? (smirk) If it were as simple as getting a $50 dive permit, everyone would be doing it. They are a deeper water species, so they are rarely collected. Some of the best divers in Hawaii have gone after them, and come up empty handed.

Back