Who's first: New Ecotech Pumps

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/ecotech-introduces-a-new-generation-of-vortech-pumps">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/ecotech-introduces-a-new-generation-of-vortech-pumps</a>

[QUOTE=]

<ul>
<li>All new driver included with the VorTech MP10, MP40 and MP60</li>
<li>6+ Available continuous operational modes. The Long Pulse mode has been replaced by a Gyre mode.</li>
<li>Wave Auto Tune, Feed Mode & Night Mode</li>
<li>[B]Up to 90% less motor noise**[/B]</li>
<li>Up to 40% more output**</li>
<li>Dual bearing wet side</li>
<li>Communicates with existing WWD and “w” EcoSmart (ES) pumps</li>
<li>Fully compatible with EcoSmart Live via ReefLink</li>
<li>Compatible with wireless EcoSmart VorTechs</li>
<li>Available as an upgrade for WWD and EcoSmart Drivers</li>
</ul>

* [I]The MP10 and MP60 are essentially the same except for the new QD Driver. The MP40, VorTech's most popular model, will benefit from new wet and dry sides.</em>
** [I]MP40wQD compared to MP40wES</em>[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about it but I am getting the Gyre 130 instead. Picking it up Friday. I looked at it from the point of view that the siliencing should have been done on the original pumps from the beginning. New hobbyists who get this pump will benefit from it greatly though because they ever had to experience the original models. Seems like a great pump though.

Glad to hear it's not just a "quiet" upgrade. Probably not as innovative as anyone was hoping.

Can't see me replacing any of my existing vortechs since I don't have the noise problem that others seem to have. And I definitely don't need more flow. My corals get pissed everytime I clean my drysides because the flow increases and I forget to turn them back down.

It looks like they will have a "Quite Drive" upgrade available shortly for a discounted cost. I would imagine it's just the dry side they are replacing.

The 40wQD will still only be $349 so $50 less than what the regular 40wES was a month or so ago. Competition is working, albeit slowly. I don't really think I need another, but I do want one!

RedStang;1013908 wrote: The 40wQD will still only be $349 so $50 less than what the regular 40wES was a month or so ago. Competition is working, albeit slowly. I don't really think I need another, but I do want one!

I'd love to upgrade but I dont thing it'll be in my budget this time.

90% reduction in motor noise Wow! Those with the already "silent" older ones can use them as active noise cancellation.

It's the "driver" that will be sold to older models for under $100 if you want "silent" and additional performance...

Pretty crazy that it's actually a software change...

Oh yeah baby!! I want but I so don't need!! With (2) mp40 and (2) mp10 in my 90, my fish are already swimming side ways and that's only at 50%. I can't imagine what would happen if these pumps were stronger. Even with 4 vortechs running at 50%, I still can't hear a thing so I don't know what the big deal with noise is. People just need to stop being big babies about it and get over it.

Hnguyen;1014050 wrote: Oh yeah baby!! I want but I so don't need!! With (2) mp40 and (2) mp10 in my 90, my fish are already swimming side ways and that's only at 50%. I can't imagine what would happen if these pumps were stronger. Even with 4 vortechs running at 50%, I still can't hear a thing so I don't know what the big deal with noise is. People just need to stop being big babies about it and get over it.
Doesn't sound like they will have to. I'm sure a company like ecotech spent the time and money to develop, advertise and swap out equipment for a 90% quieter motor be cause there was never an issue with noise!:confused2: Makes perfect sense. People just need to let go of their egos and get real.:D

grouper therapy;1014053 wrote: Doesn't sound like they will have to. I'm sure a company like ecotech spent the time and money to develop, advertise and swap out equipment for a 90% quieter motor be cause there was never an issue with noise!:confused2: Makes perfect sense. People just need to let go of their egos and get real.:D

You should look in the mirror. :fish:

I don't own a vortech, but from what I can tell, it seems that vortech's aren't inherently noisy, they just have a tendency to become unbalanced, and that causes a noise to develop.

Crew;1014056 wrote: I don't own a vortech, but from what I can tell, it seems that vortech's aren't inherently noisy, they just have a tendency to become unbalanced, and that causes a noise to develop.

In my experience, this is true. The only time I typically hear mine is when the rest of my house is dead silent, and they aren't even as loud as my return/skimmer.

grouper therapy;1014053 wrote: Doesn't sound like they will have to. I'm sure a company like ecotech spent the time and money to develop, advertise and swap out equipment for a 90% quieter motor be cause there was never an issue with noise!:confused2: Makes perfect sense. People just need to let go of their egos and get real.:D

Perception is realty. If people talk about them being loud then guys like you continue to perpetuate. Perception effects their sales even if it's half-right. Now there will be nothing anyone can say about anything (besides price but those people aren't the target and that's ok).

Now I will admit that my one mp10 on my 30g gets a little whine when it's cycling to the top of its assigned range. I have a second one I've been too lazy to hook up and then I won't have to max it at 80-90%. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me without enough vortech on their tank and having to really ramp them up.

You SHOULD be able to run these at 100% without them being loud. You can't. So you're right there. The point most defenders make is that its rarely necessary to run them that hard. Folks saying they aren't loud at 50% aren't lying and if you've seen one at 100% you'll laugh because none of your livestock will like that much flow.

Now ask a Gyre user how loud those are at 100%....

Hnguyen;1014054 wrote: You should look in the mirror. :fish:

Too funny

And it's 90% quieter. Quieter than what? He's acting like 90% is such a big number ... Quieter than not very loud at 70%? What's the math on 90% quieter than silent at 50%?

For someone that doesn't want a vortech, he still manages to show up in every vortech thread.

tonymission;1014064 wrote: Too funny

And it's 90% quieter. Quieter than what? He's acting like 90% is such a big number ... Quieter than not very loud at 70%? What's the math on 90% quieter than silent at 50%?

For someone that doesn't want a vortech, he still manages to show up in every vortech thread.

90% quieter than silent at 50% will be 90% quieter than silent..... Can someone check my math?:lol2:

I agree, it seems he makes it a mission to show up at every vortech thread just to dog it. I'm still waiting for that "help!! everyone grab a bucket, I have a leak" thread from him.:sad:

I'm extremely happy with my 4 vortechs moving water in my tank even if they look like turds. At 50% they are dead silent and my LPS are always sideways. I might have to dial it down to 40% or less.

Back