winter storm! are you ready?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
With snow and ice possibly forthcoming, it would be wise to formulate a plan to keep your tank going if a power outage occurs.

If you do not own a generator then what is the next best plan? We just need to run a heater and bubbler? Or is a power head required? Could we just put bags of hot water in the tank and swirl it around occasionly? I have a non SPS with small bioload tank so I think I may be able to get by with the simpler method if it is less than 24 hours.

I have a gas water heater but I'm not sure if it still runs without electricity.

SleepyReef;1014739 wrote: If you do not own a generator then what is the next best plan? We just need to run a heater and bubbler? Or is a power head required? Could we just put bags of hot water in the tank and swirl it around occasionly? I have a non SPS with small bioload tank so I think I may be able to get by with the simpler method if it is less than 24 hours.

I have a gas water heater but I'm not sure if it still runs without electricity.

Look into a power inverter and use your car as the generator. Not nearly as efficient but can keep the tank up in an extreme emergency. Just have some extra gas cans nearby. Which reminds me, I need to fill up a couple 5gal cans AND test the generator/inverter I bought before the winter.

I out smarted the masses. Instead of buying Milk, Bread and Eggs, I went straight for the frozen french toast. :) Bunch of panty wastes down here I tell you what!!!!

Most of our utilities are underground in my area so outages are rare, but my plan is to use the car and inverter should i need it.

Allen;1014790 wrote: Be sure that the car is not running in an enclosed garage.

or if you need to/want to run it in the garage you can get a flexible exhaust tube from advanced auto or autozone and attach that to your your muffler and run it our the door. those tubes are meant to be cheap replacements for your exhaust but i see no reason why it couldn't be used in this manner.

underground utilities here as well but that doesn't help if the area feed lines go down so just in case...I have two generators and an inverter available. I have gas hot water (which doesn't require electricity) so if push comes to shove...I can hook the RO/DI up to it and process some water.

About 10 years ago, I lost power for 4 days. I had a 90g mixed reef at the time.

I heated the house with my gas log fireplace, which also kept the tank warm enough. Every hour, I took a pitcher and scooped water out of my tank raised it up high and poured it into the tank, several times(at night, I would just get up once or twice to do this).
This seemed to work fine and I didn't loose anything. Of course, I didn't have any sps, only lps and softies.

I've also heard of people putting drops of peroxide every hour to add oxygen, but I have never had the guts to try that.

Today, I keep a couple of battery operated air bubblers and just hope any power outages(if they occur) don't last too long.

Enough firewood to keep the living room in the mid 70's for us and an automotive "power pod" to keep the circulation pump & heater going for the tank. It can be quick charged off either of our cars in 1 hour.

Or just get lazy and do the pitcher-pour aeration trick... it's worked well enough in the past.

JBDreefs;1014925 wrote: Doesn't look like much is going to happen today.

That's not what GEMA wants you to think...lol

They (local government) boogered EVERYTHING up last year, so now we are going to be hearing that boy cry wolf A LOT...

I finally purchased a generator yesterday. I'm actually more worried about summer storms than winter but I've put it off long enough.

It's getting pretty darn icy in my neck of the woods (buford). Several trees have already snapped and had the power flicker a few times.

OK well..... I'm near the mall of ga ( Hamilton mill). And trees are icy ... So I guess disregard my previous statement

Back