winter storm! are you ready?

SleepyReef;1015105 wrote: I just lost power. Live in North Forsyth county.

Same boat, but mine held out to a little after 9pm. Bought a generator last year for the 2 snowpocalypses but never took it out of the box so I returned it. Regretting that now. Guess I'll try the pitcher approach every couple of hours. And pray. Merlot sounds good, too.

ironmike;1015135 wrote: Same boat, but mine held out to a little after 9pm. Bought a generator last year for the 2 snowpocalypses but never took it out of the box so I returned it. Regretting that now. Guess I'll try the pitcher approach every couple of hours. And pray. Merlot sounds good, too.

Hope all is well and you get power back quickly! In the meantime........cheers!

I heard the transformer blow down the street. Power is out. My battery back up on my mp40s is being tested now. They say 4 hrs. We will see.

My power has been just flickering every now and then as I'm trying to unwind and watch a movie having to go through the whole menu each time, while the comforting tune of tress snapping and collapsing unto the earth in the woods.

Hunkering down and riding it out with a little Merlot!

That's the ticket! I ran out of homebrew last week and didn't get a chance to to go shopping until Sunday... I hate those blue laws.

The freezing rain is what had me worried. At least I got hunkered down with the kids safe and plenty of board games, coloring books and opened the "winter storm activity box". Only down side is my better half went into to work early ( ICU nurse) while the mountain road was still passable to Gainsville, what sucks most of all tomorrow is my birthday and she will be down there :-(

The good news is that I got less then a 1/4 inch of ice, trees usually start to go down between 1/4 to a third of a inch. Power started to flicker a bit around 8ish as well, but never lost it.

I lost power at about 9pm been swapping out bottles of hot water every hour. Definitely need a generator

Luckily I haven't lost power:) but I'm 1 of the only streets in the neighborhood that hasn't lost power.(fingers crossed). And I've already had a tree fall in the backyard. Hopefully no more go down. Hope everyone stays safe and warm

Powers been out for 2 1/2 hours. Been running an 800w inverter off my truck the whole time . One power head, return pump, heater a light and phone chargers and only pulling 300w. So far so good. I have a full tank I guess we'll see how long she can idle for??

Powers been out for three hours. Got 6500w generator kicking. All is well. I'm sure my neighbors are pissed because it's definitely loud.

Did have to run out for more long extension cords, backup gas and beer.

1015173=59457-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424147877.599663.jpg
>
1015173=59457-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424147877.599663.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424147877.599663.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1015173=59456-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424147829.854528.jpg
>
1015173=59456-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424147829.854528.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424147829.854528.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Do any of you with generators have it tied into your house or just plugging directly into it?

Also, I hope everyone up there is safe and doesn't have too much trouble with the weather!

Dapperjman;1015182 wrote: Do any of you with generators have it tied into your house or just plugging directly into it?

Also, I hope everyone up there is safe and doesn't have too much trouble with the weather!

Unfortunately mine is not hooked up to a transfer switch. Just heavy dude power cords connected to big extension cords.

Looking at some houses tomorrow and definitely making sure there's a spot for a nice little Generac whole-home generator.

We had off and on from 5:00 to 9:00 but steady after that. Until 1:30 that is. Been out about 1/2 hour now. I expect as remote as I am it will be morning before we see power again. Or afternoon. LOL

Ugghh yessss power! Now to turn the truck off and every light in my house . About 6hours or so of idling with the inverter hooked up and the fuel tank still reads full. Dang these things sip when there sitting. Hope everyone else powers up soon

nassar0505;1015194 wrote: Ugghh yessss power! Now to turn the truck off and every light in my house . About 6hours or so of idling with the inverter hooked up and the fuel tank still reads full. Dang these things sip when there sitting. Hope everyone else powers up soon

You will have to be sure and drive that thing hard when you do get it out and burn all of that carbon build up off.. Very hard On my the throttle body when idling for long periods of time

I'm out of town but the Apex reported zero outages so we are good here I believe. Dang IP cameras crashed the day before this so that is all I'm operating on for now.

DawgFace;1015209 wrote: I'm out of town but the Apex reported zero outages so we are good here I believe. Dang IP cameras crashed the day before this so that is all I'm operating on for now.

1st world problems lol! :thumbs:

As I mentioned earlier, I finally broke down and bought a generator, but I bought what they had, not necessarily what I truly wanted.

This is as good a time as any to throw this out there, I have been eyeing the propane power generators for a while but they have to be ordered in, I've never seen them on the shelves.

Does anyone have any experience with them vs the typical gas generators? If I make it through the next few days without using the one I bought I may return it and go with a propane set up.

Back