Xenia control

lmm1967

Reaction score
I know many reefers like Xenia for its hardiness, flow and even filtering capabilities but are afraid of it spreading.

I’ve been using a very simple method to control it in our tanks that is easy and harmless.

I purchased a bunch of syringes and needles for various tank tasks - if you inject the stalk of the Xenia with very hot fresh water it will wither away over a few hour period of time.

BTW - it works on aiptasia as well but I only do it if a piece gets so big our peppermints won’t touch it.

That’s very helpful data! I wonder if it would work for controlling sprawling Zoas, as well?

Of course, probably a bad idea to try it on Palys :0

The challenge for me has been obtaining needles. Where are you getting them? They are pretty effectively controlled due to IV drug use concerns in my experience...

—Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$15 will get you a lifetime supply.

these even come with the syringe

I’m careful to dispose properly - we happen to have an official sharps container for needles because I give Tish b12 injections once a month.

[QUOTE="RonS, post: 1270361, member: 6098"
The challenge for me has been obtaining needles. Where are you getting them? They are pretty effectively controlled due to IV drug use concerns in my experience...
Ron,
I think they are easily obtainable at Tractor Supply Co. No one is using an insulin (iv drug use) type needle on their farm animals.
Valley Vet Supply may also have them.
Nancy

Be very careful doing that. The stuff can grow from a shredded bit like aptasia and just show up places.

the only sure fire way to contain it is to keep it on a rock surrounded by sand and keep it pruned by removed stalks with tweezers to either be put on plugs and sold or into the toilet. If the rock gets crowded a stalk will just fall off and take root elsewhere.

This method also worths for star polyps.

I’m careful to dispose properly - we happen to have an official sharps container for needles because I give Tish b12 injections once a month.

Ok - every time I open my mouth I look like an idiot. I swear I looked high and low and couldn’t get them anywhere. My search started on Amazon, for crying out loud.

Older and dumber, that’s me : )

Or maybe I was just being cheap and didn’t want to buy a whole carton. Add poor memory to the list

Anyway - thank you! And thank you, @NanCrab - we just got a TSC right up the street from us, so maybe I’ll check
That out!

Ok - every time I open my mouth I look like an idiot. I swear I looked high and low and couldn’t get them anywhere. My search started on Amazon, for crying out loud.

Older and dumber, that’s me : )

Or maybe I was just being cheap and didn’t want to buy a whole carton. Add poor memory to the list

Anyway - thank you! And thank you, @NanCrab - we just got a TSC right up the street from us, so maybe I’ll check
That out!

My God Ron! Don’t be so hard on yourself!!! I’ve asked about things that I couldn’t find and been linked to Amazon more times than I can count!!
Keep asking, we all have the same dumb questions at one time or another! Now I know why my props won’t go near my aptasia- it’s too big!

Lol - thanks : )

But being hard on myself is my super power

Back