Yet another MH bulb question.

Hmmm... good point, I forgot about that :). I'm going to go play with the nipple to see if it makes a difference.

glxtrix;231660 wrote: Another thing to think of that I know some of the people on RC were commenting about when we were testing these....make sure the nipple on the bulb is facing up. If it's down or sideways it may effect the PAR....granted not a lot, but it will reduce it some.

I was told to keep the nipple between the 10 and 2 o'clock position to keep the color rendition of the bulb true. Someone said that was actually a vent of some kind.
Dave

The nipple position will have ZERO affect on the colouration. It was actually tested and the results published in Reefkeeping magazine. I'm sure it'll be easy to look up on RC.

Now, if there is nipple stimulation, there could be some color effect.....but that's another thing. Personally never heard of the coloring thing on any of the RC talks about these (though not doubting it). But as Raj pointed out, I guess it's irrelevant.

I was told this by the Vendor I purchased my setups from. He is basically the go to guy for Coralvue products on Reef Central. Anyways, I can't say it is true or not. Just told so by someone who uses them on his own tank and sells a ton of them on the net.
Dave

well between 10 and 2 is basically noon...which is nipple up :) Perhaps he was just stating that for the obvious reasons of PAR change...and sure I would guess it could alter the color.

Hi Lee,
He was specific about the color rendition. PAR was not mentioned. Maybe just hersay or misinformation, but that is what he said.

BTW, the Starry Night, unknown, and the other frag I got from you are doing great.
Dave

Awesome Dave glad to hear. Interesting about the color rendition whether it's true or not. I think I know who you're talking about, perhaps I'll do a general asking question to him.

Yea, let me know what you hear. I don't think I heard wrong, but maybe I did.
Dave

I'm sure you didn't hear incorrectly, Dave. The information is just not valid; it's an old wives tale. There is no logical reason why it would even work, but it's a popular myth. People swear by it though and I guess it doesn't hurt to do (afterall, it's free!!).

I've tested it myself (easy since I have 4 bulbs at a time) and it made no difference (in par or visible colour difference).

Actually, it is said that the liquid metal inside the nipple will pool in the nipple if it is below horizon, and wont excite properly. Whether this is true or not, I dont know, but it makes sense to me. If the nipple is upward, it excites easily, like Raj's mom at the livestock pavilion at the state fair.

That sounds logical. It may not make a significant enough difference on all bulbs but it might for some... No harm in doing it either :).

lol:lol2:

jmaneyapanda;231876 wrote: Actually, it is said that the liquid metal inside the nipple will pool in the nipple if it is below horizon, and wont excite properly. Whether this is true or not, I dont know, but it makes sense to me. If the nipple is upward, it excites easily, like Raj's mom at the livestock pavilion at the state fair.

FWIW Jin, I ordered some new 12K reefluxes, as well as some 10K reefluxes to test. I havent received the 10s yet, but I have a feeling I may like them more.

FWIW, same guy told me that using the dimmer on the CoralVue ballasts, while decreasing the wattage, really alters the rendition. I played with the dimmers on my CV ballasts and it blues them up to dim them.
Dave

Acroholic;231890 wrote: FWIW, same guy told me that using the dimmer on the CoralVue ballasts, while decreasing the wattage, really alters the rendition. I played with the dimmers on my CV ballasts and it blues them up to dim them.
Dave
Was it Mike at reef specialty?

Here is a thread from Reef Central talking the same stuff about the nipple position, only this was referenced back to David, the owner of CoralVue.

showthread.php

The "nipple" is simply the entry point for when they inject the halides in to the arc tube. It has no bearing on anything other than being a "belly button" for the bulb.

Back