3D Printer

I ordered an upgrade kit to make this printer capable of printing in 3 colors or materials...

Should be pretty cool, but the parts probably won't be here for a month.

GiulianoM;845378 wrote: I ordered an upgrade kit to make this printer capable of printing in 3 colors or materials...

Should be pretty cool, but the parts probably won't be here for a month.

I saw those the multi extruder kits look pretty cool

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The software they're working on is pretty neat also, you'll be able to print different parts of the model at different layer heights..

GiulianoM;845403 wrote: The software they're working on is pretty neat also, you'll be able to print different parts of the model at different layer heights..

If u don't mind I will share a photo of my reprap thought I would be polite and ask since u started this second obsession... err now that I think about it more this my be my 4th or 5th lol.

I figured out the issue with mine was 2 bad pololu drivers and I put my ramps 1.4 in a oven for 5 minutes right at soilder melting point and that fixed my shorts in my board so after I get the new stepper motors I will be attempting my first prints next week

GiulianoM;845472 wrote: Ah yes, DIY reflow soldering... :)

Pictures are welcome!

Here is mine

845524=43756-uploadfromtaptalk1362756755680.jpg
>
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1362756755680.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

SuperClown;845524 wrote: Here is mine

>
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1362756755680.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Nice!

Have you printed directly on the glass?

You'll want to print a spool holder. :)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49250">http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49250</a>

I need to get myself a bunch of cheap 608 skate bearings.... no idea where I can find any locally, though.

I ordered mine from eBay but if u have a sports authority near or any skate shop should have shielded bearings . My new pololu drivers showed up today to my surprise so hopefully I will be extruding by the weekend.

My first thing I'm going to make is a spool holder and a fan/case for ramps

A few tips:

Isopropyl alcohol or acetone / unscented nail polish remover to clean the glass.

Nozzle should be set to be a piece of paper's thickness away from the bed at Z endstop.

Calibrate that with bed and nozzle hot - they expand when hot. Measure at center and 8 points across the bed - edges and corners.

If the PLA doesn't stick to the glass, try blue painters tape. Sticks almost too well. :)

I'm going to try blue tape with a light coat of bees wax, to see if I can get it to stick and release better...

I have abs I tried printing directly on the glass and I couldn't get abs to stick at all. Then I put blue painters tape on my surface scuffed it with sand paper and that worked better. My prints however are horrible lol I'm really going to have to do some calibrating and try some different configurations until k figure this out.

My first layer doesn't stick without a little encouragement from from me and I also keep getting warping issues

ABS requires high temperatures, and doesn't stick to glass well - some PLA does.

What are your bed and nozzle temps?

Bed is 110 and nozzle is 230 for first layer then 200 for remaining layers its default settings in pronterface

the possibilities are endless. What a cool thing to own. If I had one I would spend all my free time trying to think of items that I need to print, although Im sure that comes much easier when you actually need something and you realize.. hey, I can print that
lol

I got a few other ideas ima try first instead of the kapton tape that stuff is very pricey but if nothing else works out I will go that route.

There is something called abs juice that is a mixture I've also heard of people using a diluted mixture of elmers glue that works well but sounds like a pain and hassle

I got my printer working :D I'm still dialing it in and learning a lot about everything. One issue I was having was vertical steps on z axis I had a aha moment when I stumbled upon a thread that explained setting up steps calculation based off of the thread pitch when I realized since my machine uses 5/16-18 rod instead of metric rod I had to find out the correct number and input it.back into sprinter and upload it to the board. That fixed things instantly then I realized I did not have enough tension on my carrier. Im still tweaking my extrusion amount using extrusion multiplier I almost think I'm extruding too much by like 0.02 percent cause during infill the filament comes out just a bit much.

The other issue I have is my print bed seems to sit lower in the middle then the edges so once I get it level across all 8 points like u recommended its too tall in the middle so I need to make a central brace to get the bed flat

SuperClown;846831 wrote: I got my printer working :D I'm still dialing it in and learning a lot about everything. One issue I was having was vertical steps on z axis I had a aha moment when I stumbled upon a thread that explained setting up steps calculation based off of the thread pitch when I realized since my machine uses 5/16-18 rod instead of metric rod I had to find out the correct number and input it.back into sprinter and upload it to the board. That fixed things instantly then I realized I did not have enough tension on my carrier. Im still tweaking my extrusion amount using extrusion multiplier I almost think I'm extruding too much by like 0.02 percent cause during infill the filament comes out just a bit much.

The other issue I have is my print bed seems to sit lower in the middle then the edges so once I get it level across all 8 points like u recommended its too tall in the middle so I need to make a central brace to get the bed flat

Are you printing on top of the glass plate, or on top of the heatbed PCB?

The glass plate is pretty much guaranteed to be dead flat.

On my reprappro Mendel, the glass plate is clipped to an aluminum plate, which is sandwiched with the heatbed PCB and a MDF insulator board underneath.

I got a 12x12" granite surface plate for checking the flatness of my aluminum, and it's definitely not flat in the corners...

I have a 1/8" plate of aluminum that seems to be flatter, I'm going to try and cut myself a new plate out of it...

I have glass over the print bed I guess I could double check and see if maybe I have slight warp in my rods for my y axis maybe I dunno

Back