3D Printer

In the mid to late 70s, there was a public campany called Solid Photography. I don't what happened to them, but this was there gig.

saltbubbles;844103 wrote: Just saw a report on Fox 5 about 3D printers and guess who starred in it?

YAY!

I have to check and see if its on their web site...

Here you go.
a>

GiulianoM;844148 wrote: What ears?

The part I was printing was an upgraded part for the 3D printer...

Watch the video all the way through. At the end, they are using living human tissue to print replacement ears.

Ripped Tide;844153 wrote: Watch the video all the way through. At the end, they are using living human tissue to print replacement ears.

Oh, right...

What they did in earlier experiments was to 3D-Print a structure out of liquid sugar, and then grow tissue on top of that from stem cells.

The example I saw was for veins, which they grew on a 3D printed sugar structure... then the dissolve the sugar, and you got living tissue.

That is cool stuff!

(of course they had to bring up printing guns lol)

1mbrews8;844159 wrote: That is cool stuff!

(of course they had to bring up printing guns lol)

Of course they did... it's the first thing the media jumps to when covering 3D Printing.

The thing is, while you can print a Lower Receiver just like you can mill one out of a block of aluminum, I believe you still need a gunsmithing (?) license from the ATF to manufacture one.

They consider the LR part of a "working gun", and therefore it's regulated.

The other parts - the stock, sights, etc, are considered accessories and don't require a license (I think).

Now, if it were me and I was a gun owner, I'd rather have a piece milled out of aluminum than 3D Printed out of plastic...

Oh wait.... You can make gun parts. This changes everything!

I like the frag plugs, at least they debuted on TV.

Csi New York had An episode of a guy that made a working gun with it. But when it was fired the second or third time it blew up in hi a hand or something. Don't suggest making gun parts with it.

Abs smells worse then pla. You have to know what ur working with some plastics put off 0% toxic fumes until heated way past the needed melting point for 3d printing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, PLA doesn't really smell much at all at melting temperature (185-205C), only a little like pancakes - its mostly based on starch and other plant-based materials.

ABS melts at a much higher temperature, 230-250C and produces toxic gases because it's based on petroleum. Usually needs to be ventilated otherwise it stinks up the place.

Can you take a CAD file and input it into the printer? If not what files or file type does it require?

The usual file type is a STL file, basically a 3D mesh of triangles representing the shape of an object.

A straight 2D DXF won't work... :)

GiulianoM;845156 wrote: The usual file type is a STL file, basically a 3D mesh of triangles representing the shape of an object.

A straight 2D DXF won't work... :)

Well inventor has a nifty feature where I can export my typical CAD file to a STL file.

I used this program years ago while in R&D. It was the only thing around that would convert raster to vector formats. I could then scan objects and import them into a CAD program.

I haven't looked over the features to see if .STL files are supported or not. In any case, you might find other uses.

Fwiw-
It used to be my 'Swiss army knife' program, and often enabled me to leave our engineers shaking their heads.

At the time they used $100k Intergraph workstations. Using this, Visio and a copy of AutoCAD I could run circles around them on a high end pc. I found great irony in it all.

a>

Back