Aquascaping pillars

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I am going to making pillars for a 65g I am setting up and plan to use pvc and some type of adhesive. I was wondering which you would recommend to hold the rock together?

Hydraulic cement
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-10-lb-Hydraulic-Water-Stop-Cement-112611/100318494">http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-10-lb-Hydraulic-Water-Stop-Cement-112611/100318494</a>

or
Water Weld Epoxy
[IMG]http://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld-Waterweld-8277/202528473?keyword=waterweld">http://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld-Waterweld-8277/202528473?keyword=waterweld</a>

What are the pros/cons of each?

I would probably drill the rock and use rods. Just to keep things modular.

Ringo®;1015797 wrote: I would probably drill the rock and use rods. Just to keep things modular.

I am drilling and using PVC. I want to use adhesives if I make an arch or some type of overhang.

9a5ef9aa3e7788ae52094fc358307ffc.jpg
alt="" />

7b1f000e4e398f31289e64c1aa559480.jpg
alt="" />

73403e45f73d61755d081f4fbab67c78.jpg
alt="" />

All are held using fiberglass Rods from home Depot

BrandonMason;1015800 wrote:
9a5ef9aa3e7788ae52094fc358307ffc.jpg
alt="" />

7b1f000e4e398f31289e64c1aa559480.jpg
alt="" />

73403e45f73d61755d081f4fbab67c78.jpg
alt="" />

All are held using fiberglass Rods from home Depot

Amazing!!

Can I cut the rod to length?
Is this the rod you used?
a>

Use acrylic rods and black zipties if needed , but if u drill it good its pretty easy to just use rods.
Make sure your base rock is stout enough to hold the others up .
Pvc works ok but requires large holes which will end up costing way more to make and it will probably break rock in the process making 3/4" holes.

Look for acrylic rods from tap plastics online , it only cost 6-8 $ for a 6' stick mailed to the door tile bit from home depot 6$ dont use a whole bit , they take too much of a bite and remove too much + there pretty expensive , kust be sure its diamond edged and not just a masonry bit
I like 3/8" acrylic its plenty strong to hold 40 lbs of rock held together with that size rod

Rodasphoto;1015803 wrote: Amazing!!

Can I cut the rod to length?
Is this the rod you used? http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-48-in-Reflective-Rod-Orange-848638/202051800">http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-48-in-Reflective-Rod-Orange-848638/202051800</a>[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/40600fd0a5517a28f800958e9e01bc06.jpg alt="" />

You can buy these at home depot for under $3 each. It cuts ok with some lineman tools but is cleaner if sawed. Between all my tanks I think I've got 4 rods

I forget what size drill bit I used but it was a snug fit. Too big of a hole and it will wobble.

Fwiw Brandons was the first aqua scape id seen done this way and his tanks inspired my designs twice now.
If its all done well it will disassemble like a puzzle with a little work , making it permanent was a mistake I made my first go around , its not the end of the world but sometimes its needed to remove a whole rock for one reason or another in case something happens I can think of several scenarios .

Tbub1221;1015823 wrote: Fwiw Brandons was the first aqua scape id seen done this way and his tanks inspired my designs twice now.
If its all done well it will disassemble like a puzzle with a little work , making it permanent was a mistake I made my first go around , its not the end of the world but sometimes its needed to remove a whole rock for one reason or another in case something happens I can think of several scenarios .

Good point. There have been times I wanted/needed to take my aquascape apart.

I've used the WaterWeld to hold frags in the rocks. Only downside is that white really stands out. For custom aquascapes I've seen the best results with using the rods. Here is my aquascape using just rocks, no rods, adhesive etc.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1015872=59552-IMG_0347.jpg
>
1015872=59552-IMG_0347.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0347.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I'd strongly recommend using E-Marco-400 mortar from Marco Rocks (it is really a BASF architectural mortar). I used to know the exact brand, but forgot now. Easiest to buy from them unless you are looking for 40-50 lb bags.

I built some very large and natural looking pillars for a 36" tall tank. I had planned to use acrylic rods, but I had some issue of base rock cracking when being drilled. My rock was pretty porous though. No issues drilling more solid rock. If I did it again, I wouldn't waste any time with the acrylic rods. The mortar bonds extremely well and strong - way more than I expected. The only "extra" thing I did was use zip ties to hold the more unbalanced/overhang structures while the mortar setup, then cut the zip ties and removed them once set.

There's some photos of my pillars in my build thread - don't have time to re-post image.

JJ Ocean;1015876 wrote: I'd strongly recommend using E-Marco-400 mortar from Marco Rocks (it is really a BASF architectural mortar). I used to know the exact brand, but forgot now. Easiest to buy from them unless you are looking for 40-50 lb bags.

I built some very large and natural looking pillars for a 36" tall tank. I had planned to use acrylic rods, but I had some issue of base rock cracking when being drilled. My rock was pretty porous though. No issues drilling more solid rock. If I did it again, I wouldn't waste any time with the acrylic rods. The mortar bonds extremely well and strong - way more than I expected. The only "extra" thing I did was use zip ties to hold the more unbalanced/overhang structures while the mortar setup, then cut the zip ties and removed them once set.

There's some photos of my pillars in my build thread - don't have time to re-post image.

I DO!!
IMG_0119_zpsbe7811b7.jpg
alt="" />

Also, you need to update your build thread

JJ Ocean;1015876 wrote: I'd strongly recommend using E-Marco-400 mortar from Marco Rocks (it is really a BASF architectural mortar). I used to know the exact brand, but forgot now. Easiest to buy from them unless you are looking for 40-50 lb bags.

I looked at the E-Marco 400 but do not want to spend that much for cement/mortar and was checking if there were other alternatives. Your aquascape is pretty much the direction I am going for but on a much smaller scale.

Rodasphoto;1015887 wrote: I looked at the E-Marco 400 but do not want to spend that much for cement/mortar and was checking if there were other alternatives.

Understand. The product they are re-selling I believe based on my past research is BASF EMACO R 400 Architectural Mortar mixed with Acryl 60 (acrylic polymer). You might be able to find it cheaper from a supply house - don't know.

BTW - if you happen to go this route, the mix sets up super fast ~10-15 minutes. Have EVERYTHING out, stacked and ready to go BEFORE you mix it. Gets even more expensive when it sets up in your bucket vs. on your rock.

Seems like most of the popular options are listed in your post. Best of luck with the aquascape!

Back