As Promised 180 build thread

Seedless Reefer;298295 wrote:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/404/404022/folders/299846/2392532008.JPG" alt="" />

.[/QUOTE]

If you run the water level that high with that skimmer, it is gonna run VERY VERY wet. I know it kinda too late now, but you should have the water level about 2" above the base box, and adjust the rest with the gate valve. It will still skim awesome, just super wet. Watch your salinity, especially when working with a ATO.

what does it matter if run 'wet'? I've always heard this term, just never really knew what it means-what is the disadvantage to running it 'wet' compared to 'dry'?

jmaneyapanda;298518 wrote: If you run the water level that high with that skimmer, it is gonna run VERY VERY wet. I know it kinda too late now, but you should have the water level about 2" above the base box, and adjust the rest with the gate valve. It will still skim awesome, just super wet. Watch your salinity, especially when working with a ATO.

I agree with you. If you look back at the sump build you will see I had built a skimmer stand to raise it 6" but the stand didn't cooperate heightwise.

At that stage I wasn't going to cut down the baffle height. I don't mind wet skim.

IMO, I prefer to skim wet. However, it does remove more saltwater than dry skimming, and as such, if you run an ATO, it will slowly drop you salinity. Or even quickly drop it, based on volume and how wet you're skimming. Some people even do water changes by wet skimming. Just make sure to check you salinity frequently, and adjust.

I just read the build thread. Alot of good stuff and good job on your system guts in the stand.
I think you and linda are so funny. I want an ARC t shirt with you two swaping drive by shots at each other.

I am starting my 200 Gal Marineland build soon and will use this info. Thanks.

Negative.

Waters just running through the skimmer and filters.

Nothing to look at here........move along.

Last night we put most of the rock in the tank.

It's haphazard right now and I'm sure it will be redone a few times.

Took a water sample up to Sal @ Saltwater City.

Trates and trites were 0. Ammonia was a wee bit high. Phosphates were high and calcium was @ 520.

Did a water change when I got home.

I'll hook up the phosban reactor tommorow and test ammonia again and if need be will do another change. Parameters will be monitored daily this week.

Got a return pump today and put it in place.

Fired up the lights one of the halides doesn't work so i'll have to fix that and do some other tweaking but for the most part this build is done.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/404/404022/folders/299846/2395613026.JPG" alt="" />

[IMG]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/404/404022/folders/299846/2395612028.JPG" alt="" />

The lights are very blue. These are 2 Blueline 10000K+ and the VHO actinics.

Hopefully I can work out the 3rd Halide tommorow.

I believe the tank is too blue for me but it's going to remain this way until the bulbs need replacing.

I will post some pics to close out this build once all the aquascaping is complete.

My next DIY thread will be right around the corner with refacing this stand and canopy.

Did a

Hey Loren--some dumb arse put all the cables/wires in the FRONT of the tank! :bash2: Tell them that they go either in the sump or the back of the tank!

pffft-

I'd rather look at rock than a bunch of cables! lol (j/k, buddy-lookin' good!)

Back