Ataptasia...file fish, peppermint, or Ataptasia X

saltwaterwannabe

Market
Reaction score
There is a wealth of info abiut ataptasia on the web...sp much that I cannot choose what way to go for treating my recent outbreak. I have 8 that I can find. I have read that peppermint shrimp and file fish do well. I have also read that butterfly fish do well but are more challenging with a reeftank. One of the local lfs suggested Ataptasia X, but it sounds like some of the ataptasia would still be around based on reading online. What have you used successfully to treat or rid a tank of ataptasia?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Peps work great.. but won't eat the bigger ones. I just got some aptasia x and will be using it when I get home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Copper banded butterfly worked for me. Pepermints didn't eat them and they grew back with aptasia x.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Peps continue to work great for me but after the aptaisa's all gone you'll need to feed them. Occasionally, I've caught them eating my soft corals.

I'd check with local sponsors first and then the last resort would be Amazon.

I picked up Aptasia X today. After starting treatment, I found many more. One of my snails actually had one attached, guess that sucker spread em even faster. I stopped counting at 25 when I was treating. Some of them withdrew before I could get close enough due to the shakiness of my hand in a few difficult to reach spots. Does it still work if it the aptasia does not visibly eat the Aptasia X but is covered before it completely withdrawls?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Should still melt them away, sounds like you will need to do a couple treatments that's for sure.

I've tried those chemicals in the past and have only had very short term success. For me, not only did the aptasia grow back but they grew back in the exact same spot and most of the time they came back with a friend. Sadly, I predict the same for you.

For me the only thing that works on a continuous basis are the pep shrimp I maintain.

Give us an update in about a month. LOl

its way beyond a month since i first treated it with aptasia x, more like 6+ months and I never seen them return. You have to fully cover the entire head of it with it. I had like 6, now zero, so i'm stuck with a full bottle of it...

PutEmUp;1083179 wrote: I've tried those chemicals in the past and have only had very short term success. For me, not only did the aptasia grow back but they grew back in the exact same spot and most of the time they came back with a friend. Sadly, I predict the same for you.

For me the only thing that works on a continuous basis are the pep shrimp I maintain.

Give us an update in about a month. LOl

Kalk paste is another valid option if the population isn't out of control.

Ringo®;1083325 wrote: Kalk paste is another valid option if the population isn't out of control.

Yea buddy , I use kalk past on green palys when they get too close to my sps , I also have a few hungry peppermint shrimp and I haven't seen the first aiptasia in months since I added them

I had a fair amount of aiptasia in my 80 gallon a while back and 6 peppermints took care of all of them. Then recently, I saw a peppermint attacking a torch that ended up dying afterwards.. so I got rid of the peppermints. I've also used Aiptasia X and it seems to work well too.

Tried almost everything. They are a nightmare.

-Peppermints didnt do the job. tried twice.
-aptasia-x and kalk paste arnt enough.
-Super glue and epoxy plugs work but you have to keep at it forever and you cant get them all.
-Just got some aptasia filefish...so far they have only eaten my xenia. We'll see what happens when they finish it off.

I've always used pep, and injected lemon juice if they got too big. Even some kalk works too!

So far my aptasia cound is way down, but with 2 treatments I still see a couple the next day. Some I may be missing, but 2 attached to my glass that was just cleaned Monday, so they are definitely new. Going to treat again and see if the kids can spot any I am missi g

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back