Build the perfect functional system

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Ok. Let's say money was no object.
Ha!
That considered what would you put on a standard size 120 sps tank to build as much as a bullet proof tank as possible (let's build for sps of course).
This isn't just considering pretty high tech gadgets, but what would you include in the build that would improve husbandry, make your reefing experience less stressful, and improve your viewing / interaction pleasure;)
B

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Imo and my experience, it isn't about how fancy of equipment you have, it's more about how well you take care of your reef. I know guys that's spent fortunes on equipment and still can't keep sps.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BrandonMason;1084414 wrote: Imo and my experience, it isn't about how fancy of equipment you have, it's more about how well you take care of your reef. I know guys that's spent fortunes on equipment and still can't keep sps.

I agree, but just for arguments sake:)

1,000 gallon display, Radium halide lighting, 1,000 gallon refugium, Weekly 100 gallon water changes.
Huge hidden prop pumps or closed loop,

First, start with tank, and overflow. I don't know the best . But here is a start. Maybe someone can chime in the best overlow system. And then go to the nest piece.

Big tank with no filtration that has water constantly being exchanged from the near by ocean. Preferably located in my house somewhere warm and away from other people.

Fishlips;1084446 wrote: First, start with tank, and overflow. I don't know the best . But here is a start. Maybe someone can chime in the best overlow system. And then go to the nest piece.

Ghost overflow

BrandonMason;1084414 wrote: Imo and my experience, it isn't about how fancy of equipment you have, it's more about how well you take care of your reef. I know guys that's spent fortunes on equipment and still can't keep sps.

Perfect discription of me!

Jk I have a birdsnest that is alive :)

I guess this illustrates how much of the hobby is still unknown.
Here's what I mean:
IF we are certain an sps tank can thrive under X conditions then why hasn't a company put together a package to produce X conditions with a checklist "here's what you do on this day"
This would make the only variable the individual animals, however assuming healthy animals were obtained....
I know there are holes in that logic, but there should be SOME merit in the thought...

SnowManSnow;1084465 wrote: I guess this illustrates how much of the hobby is still unknown.
Here's what I mean:
IF we are certain an sps tank can thrive under X conditions then why hasn't a company put together a package to produce X conditions with a checklist "here's what you do on this day"
This would make the only variable the individual animals, however assuming healthy animals were obtained....
I know there are holes in that logic, but there should be SOME merit in the thought...

Companies like triton and zeovit do have these plans.

The thing is that they are expensive and most of the people who need be extra help don rant to pay for it.

LSU_fishFan;1084466 wrote: Companies like triton and zeovit do have these plans.

The thing is that they are expensive and most of the people who need be extra help don rant to pay for it.

And w that auto zeo shaker from avast I'm tempted haha.

The key to success is stability....bottom line. Being able to see when things are not right and taking the correct course of action. My first ever Aquarium of any kind was easily in the top 3 of my region. When I lived in IL. I tested rigorously, and monitored my dosing meticulously.

If you want to see what equipment I am using this go around in my brand new 180g sps tank...follow it under the member tanks section. You will see while I am spending alot...I think it's spending "right" vs extravagant.

For the record last tank was a zeovit tank.....while I think that method can be successful, I find most of it completely overpriced and unnecessary.

The other keys are keeping nutrients in check vs ultra low....by feeding as much good food to your fish as you can while again not allowing nitrate and phosphate to go crazy. Maintain the highest possible bioload your filtration can handle....this will keep your corals healthy and growing like weeds. Only experience with your tank will show you what those limits are....which is where testing and buying the right equipment to maintain without fail.....

You can be successful in this hobby with nearly any method that accomplishes what i said above. The only issue is how much effort you want to personally put in. If you want to keep things more maintenance friendly, you are going to have to shell out significantly more $$. That being said, if you are willing to constantly manually monitor and dose your tank, there is no reason you cant be successful with nothing more than a glass box with some rock in it :).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I would plumb it into a fish room where there was room for a huge sump and refugium, automatic water change system, separate (and also automated) QT and frag systems. Everything possible would be run on a controller. There would be redundancy on every critical system, and a backup generator for the house.

if money is no problem, how about a mari-culture setup outside the house on an ocean front. if we have to confine within the house, I would have it lit using natural light with natural ocean water plumbed from the ocean

hzheng33;1084532 wrote: if money is no problem, how about a mari-culture setup outside the house on an ocean front. if we have to confine within the house, I would have it lit using natural light with natural ocean water plumbed from the ocean

I've toyed with the natural sunlight idea MANY times myself@

Back