Building T5 Canopy today.

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Wish me luck. I am really good with tools, but unfamiliar with the art of cabinetry. I'm gonna shoot from the hip and try a relatively simple design with a hinge today. The tricky part is making it match the stand I guess. I'm also not well versed with cabinet finishes, so I'm taking the door to HD to try and match the color. Hopefully Murphy is on vacation.

Good luck and lets see some pics along the way. I will be building one for a 75 soon so any ideas will help me out also

Just as he said

Take plenty of pics, i am about to build a T5 Canopy myslef and i would like to see anothers process.

And good luck

be careful out there...your fish wont recognize you with missing fingers.

Put some pics up when you get the canopy on it. I thought it was a great looking tank. I have a router if you need to borrow it. It became my best friend while I was building my stand and canopy.

Well, here it is during the test fit. I have to prime and finish it sometime...

Notice the super low profile. I wanted it to have a very small visual impact. It is also pretty simply designed, but I took cues from the stand so they'd match somewhat. The supports on the back are where the 6 case fans pushing about 180 cfm of cool air onto the lights go. Also I added holes in the top for ventilation and to lighten the top. I am aiming to not need a chiller. I also will probably add a mesh over the top and anywhere that fans do not cover.

Also, these are the first photos I have released of my top secret 140 gal project. Enjoy.

SANY6454.jpg
>
th_SANY6454.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY6453.jpg
>
th_SANY6453.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY6450.jpg
>
th_SANY6450.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY6441.jpg
>
th_SANY6441.jpg
alt="" /></a>
SANY6439.jpg
>
th_SANY6439.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The construction is verrrry light, almost flimsy. I don't mind, since I think the lights will actually strengthen it up a bit. I made it so light so I could keep it minimal in size and so I could add a linear actuator to open the top later if I decided to.

It's made of 1/4" sanded plywood, 1.5"x3/4 high grade pine, and a 6" piece of 2.5"x1/2 high grade pine.

It is held together by waterproof glue, and brads where I could hide them. It also employs a 48" piano hinge.

And that's it for now.

For the future, I am planning on using nylon bolts to secure it to the lip of the tank, and it will be painted with a gloss black paint.

FutureInterest;191622 wrote: That looks very nice! I love the low profile.

Thanks Jin. I hope everything fits ok. It should, but if I ever need to raise the lights up.... well, it ain't happening.

Built-in 3" case fans that I haven't installed yet. I cant decide how many I need. I bought 10, but I may just install 6 or so on each end to see what happens. Did you get my PM Charlie?

Jin and Charlie, how do you have your reflectors mounted in the canopy? Just clipped onto the lights or permanently screwed in?

That looks really good. H.D. has these cabinet hinges that mount on the inside or outside and they are spring loaded. They might be good for your top since it is so lite.

Welll..... it's not that</em> light. But lighter than most. The piano/continuous hinge is helping with structural integrity a lot, too.

I just test fit the lights and fans, and perfect fit. Lights will be about 2-3" off of the water, so hopefully this isn't too close.

Derrick - I keep the reflectors clipped in so I can angle them slightly so as to create an ARC with the entire array.

Looks really good man. Makes me want to get started on mine.
Gonna try a bowfront canopy build:doh:

Back