Dipping frags in h2o2

declanisadog

Market
Reaction score
I've dipped zoas several times before with good success, but was wondering if anyone has tried any other kind of coral? I have a chalice that I can't seem to kill the algae off the edges of. The tissue has retracted some over the few months I've had it which is giving the algae more space to take hold. I've brushed it off with a toothbrush uncountable times, and it's to the point where I feel like I'm doing more damage brushing it than the peroxide would probably do.

You can try CoralRx as well. Should be a little more on the "mild" side.

There are certain lps and sps that will do well. However, try using a toothbrush to brush on the h2o2 vs an actual dip. A q tip does well too. That way you dont harm the whole coral if it in fact is one that doesnt like those types of baths.

Do Bayer dips kill the plug algae because I know they're much more gentle on the corals than CoralRx which can be hit and miss depending on the coral.

glxtrix;977663 wrote: There are certain lps and sps that will do well. However, try using a toothbrush to brush on the h2o2 vs an actual dip. A q tip does well too. That way you dont harm the whole coral if it in fact is one that doesnt like those types of baths.

I have tried that in the past, but you gave me an idea. I am going to soak a small piece paper towel in peroxide and wrap it around the base so there is minimal contact with the flesh.

tonymission;977669 wrote: Do Bayer dips kill the plug algae because I know they're much more gentle on the corals than CoralRx which can be hit and miss depending on the coral.

The algae is not on the plug. It's on the skeleton of where he flesh is receding, and i havent heard of bayer killing algae.

Not sure if that part will recover then since nuisance algae will only grow on dead tissue. Never had any luck getting that to recover but my experience is hardly gospel

glxtrix;977672 wrote: Bayer insecticide I believe it is.

I know it kills redbugs and the like, but never heard of it working on algae. I'll look into it.

Declanisadog;977674 wrote: I know it kills redbugs and the like, but never heard of it working on algae. I'll look into it.

I don't think it will work on algae. H202 is the way to go.

tonymission;977673 wrote: Not sure if that part will recover then since nuisance algae will only grow on dead tissue. Never had any luck getting that to recover but my experience is hardly gospel

I've had a scoly recover from similar damage, but that's comparing apples to a different kind of apple...

It and a couple of zoa frags are pretty much the only algae in my tank right now, so i feel like if i get it gone, i can keep it away.

that's h2o. h2o2 is hydrogen peroxide, you may have some in your medicine cabinet. Search for the thread on here or RC. Basically get a fresh bottle (it's cheap and full power....dont forget over some time, h2o2 turns into water.) Then you'll dip, or soak, or brush on whatever algae you have. A soak is better, but if you have coral, it's best to keep them out just in case.

glxtrix;977679 wrote: that's h2o. h2o2 is hydrogen peroxide, you may have some in your medicine cabinet. Search for the thread on here or RC. Basically get a fresh bottle (it's cheap and full power....dont forget over some time, h2o2 turns into water.) Then you'll dip, or soak, or brush on whatever algae you have. A soak is better, but if you have coral, it's best to keep them out just in case.

Good advice, thanks. Just have a couple plugs that could use a brushing.

And yeah I'm an idiot. H2o2 is obviously bit water derrrrrr

I decided for the sake of posterity I would just dip the whole frag and see what happened. Dipped it last night and as of this morning, there is not a single strand of algae left on it. Chalice looks the same as it did. I'll keep anyone who cares posted.

For zoas, I had 1 of 2 things happen. 1) everything was fine. 2) the zoas puffed up and looked awful for a few days, but went back to normal. Try making the zoas close up before dipping. That may help.

glxtrix;977890 wrote: For zoas, I had 1 of 2 things happen. 1) everything was fine. 2) the zoas puffed up and looked awful for a few days, but went back to normal. Try making the zoas close up before dipping. That may help.

Were you using straight or diluted peroxide?

Back