Disaster

Benjamin,
I have about 50 gallons of saltwater mixed and ready to use if you need any more. bob

Sorry all this happened to you.I tried doing research on other sites.I found only one where using the DP4 dumped 1 gal of cal.He was not sure why,because it all checked out when he tested it.Someone ask if he lost electric. He didn't know.Those who own the Dp4,have you tested it by pulling the plug,or cut off the electric

Ringo®;1022941 wrote: Sucks about the overdose. While it would have been cool of them to accommodate you, I don't think it deserves a FU because they didn't stay open late.

I would have understood if they just said no, but the fed me a BS excuse, so I stand by my original remark.

bobz;1022945 wrote: Benjamin,
I have about 50 gallons of saltwater mixed and ready to use if you need any more. bob

Thanks Bob, but I should be good. I have plenty now. It was just quicker for me to get premixed than mix up as much as i needed.

Fishlips;1022946 wrote: Sorry all this happened to you.I tried doing research on other sites.I found only one where using the DP4 dumped 1 gal of cal.He was not sure why,because it all checked out when he tested it.Someone ask if he lost electric. He didn't know.Those who own the Dp4,have you tested it by pulling the plug,or cut off the electric

When I first got it I unplugged it and plugged it back in several times, and messed around with the settings to make sure everything was saving every time I unplugged it. I honestly still think it is an overall good unit, but fail safes need to be in place in order to avoid a catastrophe. Hind sight is 20/20 though... Another interesting factor is that the Alk pump was off. I had it on at one point, but shut it off a week or so back because I was trying to lower my alk.

Anyway, I'm over it. I can only do my best to salvage what I can and move forward.

I think you might be better off than you think. Most of the calcium and kH are going to precipitate due to the extreme levels. Sure, this isn't an ideal scenario, but your tank being white like that is a good sign. Like others have said, my primary concern would be the pH.

Crew;1022958 wrote: I think you might be better off than you think. Most of the calcium and kH are going to precipitate due to the extreme levels. Sure, this isn't an ideal scenario, but your tank being white like that is a good sign. Like others have said, my primary concern would be the pH.

I don't disagree with you. I took a break from work today and ran home to check on everything, and while it is still super cloudy, all the corals I can see look pretty good. My acros even still had some PE. I'm just going to keep doing pretty big water changes until I can get all my levels down to where I want them.

Swap your filter padding/sock out for something finer to help clear up the snow... but yeah I agree with the others - the precipitate storm you're seeing is probably the main reason why your corals are still alive. Parameters may be somewhat off, but having alk/calc dump in the same time is as close to self-fixing as you can get in these things.

Good luck on the change-out!

The fish store is pretty much my go-to for most supplies as they're really close to work, but 5pm is 5pm for them... nary a minute more even if you're calling stuck at the MARTA intersection within yelling distance. :(
I've had to make a last-minute closing-time run to almost every sponsor at one time or another but MOST others are willing to hold the door open for a non-browsing visit unless there's something really pressing they've got to get to of their own.

BulkRate;1022976 wrote: Swap your filter padding/sock out for something finer to help clear up the snow... but yeah I agree with the others - the precipitate storm you're seeing is probably the main reason why your corals are still alive. Parameters may be somewhat off, but having alk/calc dump in the same time is as close to self-fixing as you can get in these things.

Good luck on the change-out!

The fish store is pretty much my go-to for most supplies as they're really close to work, but 5pm is 5pm for them... nary a minute more even if you're calling stuck at the MARTA intersection within yelling distance. :(
I've had to make a last-minute closing-time run to almost every sponsor at one time or another but MOST others are willing to hold the door open for a non-browsing visit unless there's something really pressing they've got to get to of their own.

It just dawned on me that I have 25micron filter socks at work... my boss saw some on my desk the other day and offered them to me. I didn't think I would have any use for them, but now I do. I have baby socks at the top of the over flow and 200 micron filter socks on the bottom for now. I'm going to switch them out for the finer ones when I get home tonight. I'm going to keep an eye on my PH and dose vinegar to bring it down as prescribed by Mr. Holmes-Farley. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated for anyone who cares.

Figure I'll post a couple recent pics to help track progress:

IMG_2556_zps6lxh6evr.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2557_zpsceb9f8in.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2553_zpstl0oe4bc.jpg
alt="" />

Wow,Maybe i need to do a little over dosing. J/K. Looks like they are doing well.

Declanisadog;1022951 wrote: When I first got it I unplugged it and plugged it back in several times, and messed around with the settings to make sure everything was saving every time I unplugged it. I honestly still think it is an overall good unit, but fail safes need to be in place in order to avoid a catastrophe. Hind sight is 20/20 though... Another interesting factor is that the Alk pump was off. I had it on at one point, but shut it off a week or so back because I was trying to lower my alk.

Anyway, I'm over it. I can only do my best to salvage what I can and move forward.

I have a RKL contoller.If i had the ph probe, will i be able to have an alarm to shut it off

Fishlips;1023001 wrote: Wow,Maybe i need to do a little over dosing. J/K. Looks like they are doing well.

Those are from a couple weeks ago...tank was still too cloudy for pics this morning.

If you don't mind waiting a day you can order fine filter socks from McMaster Carr. I believe they run all the way down to 1 micron and deliver next day. They are the best pricing and quality I've experienced so far.

man that really sucks but you will have every thing back to normal in a week. my buddy had a huge calcium overdose on his system and it took us about a week and 3 or 4 huge water changes to get everything cleared up he moved all his coral to another tank as soon as he found out but they sat in it over the weekend. everything survived and since you had both dump in i think youll be just fine. oh and what alk are you using? if you're using seachems 8.4 then according to them you should have nothing to worry about because they say that no matter how much you put in your tank it wont raise your ph over 8.4. anyway, good luck and keep us updated.

Declanisadog;1023003 wrote: Those are from a couple weeks ago...tank was still too cloudy for pics this morning.

My bad,Hopefully it will turn right back .

Bcavalli;1023005 wrote: If you don't mind waiting a day you can order fine filter socks from McMaster Carr. I believe they run all the way down to 1 micron and deliver next day. They are the best pricing and quality I've experienced so far.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-filter-bags/=wfs23d">http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-filter-bags/=wfs23d</a>[/QUOTE]

I actually order stuff through them all the time. I'm going to stick with the 25 micron for now unless they don't seem to be doing the job. I have a huge bag of them at work for some of our manufacturing equipment.

[QUOTE=][B]Picoreefguy;1023006 wrote:[/B] man that really sucks but you will have every thing back to normal in a week. my buddy had a huge calcium overdose on his system and it took us about a week and 3 or 4 huge water changes to get everything cleared up he moved all his coral to another tank as soon as he found out but they sat in it over the weekend. everything survived and since you had both dump in i think youll be just fine. oh and what alk are you using? if you're using seachems 8.4 then according to them you should have nothing to worry about because they say that no matter how much you put in your tank it wont raise your ph over 8.4. anyway, good luck and keep us updated.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately I was using soda ash. I am actually becoming more and more optimistic, but only time will tell. I have another 20 gallons of saltwater mixed for when I get home. I'm starting to worry about the calcium build up I'm going to have to get rid of. I could already see it on the glass when I went home earlier.

Declanisadog;1023009 wrote:
unfortunately I was using soda ash. I am actually becoming more and more optimistic, but only time will tell. I have another 20 gallons of saltwater mixed for when I get home. I'm starting to worry about the calcium build up I'm going to have to get rid of. I could already see it on the glass when I went home earlier.

as soon as you get everything cleared up id pull all the pumps and circulation pumps you have and give them a light vinegar bath. also use clarity, it'll cause all the snow to clump and stick together and make it easier for your filter socks to catch it.

Picoreefguy;1023010 wrote: as soon as you get everything cleared up id pull all the pumps and circulation pumps you have and give them a light vinegar bath. also use clarity, it'll cause all the snow to clump and stick together and make it easier for your filter socks to catch it.

That's exactly what I planned on. Coincidentally I just did exactly that on friday. lasted a whole two days...

I'm not meaning to jack your thread. Because reading what happened does really suck. But I do have a question for members out there.

So what do you guys have set up for power loss on your tanks? Fish start running out of oxygen what 10 minutes with all the pumps turned off? What happens if your at work and power goes out for 2-3 hours? Or even worse if your home and it's out? Does everyone have a back up generator? There has to be a cheaper answer or even a batteried back up?

Back