Disaster

arbaugh;1023021 wrote: I'm not meaning to jack your thread. Because reading what happened does really suck. But I do have a question for members out there.

So what do you guys have set up for power loss on your tanks? Fish start running out of oxygen what 10 minutes with all the pumps turned off? What happens if your at work and power goes out for 2-3 hours? Or even worse if your home and it's out? Does everyone have a back up generator? There has to be a cheaper answer or even a batteried back up?

a small ups with circ pumps plugged into it is pretty common some people use battery powered air pumps and some use their car with an inverter

arbaugh;1023021 wrote: I'm not meaning to jack your thread. Because reading what happened does really suck. But I do have a question for members out there.

So what do you guys have set up for power loss on your tanks? Fish start running out of oxygen what 10 minutes with all the pumps turned off? What happens if your at work and power goes out for 2-3 hours? Or even worse if your home and it's out? Does everyone have a back up generator? There has to be a cheaper answer or even a batteried back up?

This a cheap option which senses a power loss. I'm sure there is many more brands out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Series-Battery-Operated-Aquarium/dp/B004PBIKHU">Amazon.com : Silent Air® B11 Series Battery Operated Aquarium Air Pumps, Single Outlet, UL Listed : Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g4pnDz8jL.@@AMEPARAM@@41g4pnDz8jL</a>

I have a backup UPS for short down times and a gas generator just in case we have an extended outage.

Came home to a new problem. My water has an orange tint. Not sure if this had some sort of effect on my gfo, or I jarred the reactor somehow last night. Water is getting clearer. All the corals look surprisingly normal, but my fish are clearly suffering. My kole tang looked terrible last night and was dead when I got home. One of my yasha gobies was near the top of the water when I was doing my water change but has since disappeared. My clown and mandarin both are acting normal. The 25 micron filter socks are making a huge difference and I hope to be able to see everything by the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the orange tint could be from the clarity if you added too much. are you using an air stone? if not id throw one in just to be safe because when fish that dont normally hang out near the surface start doing so its usually a sign of low oxygen in the water. you could also point your circ pumps at the surface or if you're using a vortech move it close to the surface so that it sucks a little bit of air here and there

Not using clarity at this point. It's definitely gfo. I've got tons of surface agitation. I actually had to raise my lights a little bit because of all the splashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picoreefguy;1023170 wrote: weird. id pull the gfo till it clears up

Yeah, I don't plan on hooking it back up until I get this all figured out.

I turned the lights on for a brief minute before work today, and other than the layer of crap covering the rocks, sand, and glass, everything looked awesome. I think I'm going to forgo the water change I was planning today, and do a normal size one tomorrow. Later in the week, if I don't feel I need to do it sooner, I am going to pull all my pumps and stuff, and give them all a nice bath. I'll post some pics when I get home tonight. Fingers crossed that more dead fish don't turn up when I get home. Pretty bummed about the kole tang. I was in the process of trying to catch him for my bigger tank when all of this went down.

Ben I didn't read it all but are you exchanging your carbon out every few days? I had an overdose in my 210 which resulted in a white tank. I did water changes every 3 days and changed out carbon and it cleared up in a week. I only suffered 1 limb lost of one of my acros.

BrandonMason;1023175 wrote: Ben I didn't read it all but are you exchanging your carbon out every few days? I had an overdose in my 210 which resulted in a white tank. I did water changes every 3 days and changed out carbon and it cleared up in a week. I only suffered 1 limb lost of one of my acros.

BRS Rox 0.8. Unfortunately I had to take it offline with my GFO, but plan on putting some in both reactor chambers when I get home. Didn't have a chance to clean it out last night.

If you want you can swing by and borrow my carbon reactor, plus I've got a big tub of seacheam carbon you can use.

BrandonMason;1023178 wrote: If you want you can swing by and borrow my carbon reactor, plus I've got a big tub of seacheam carbon you can use.

Thanks a lot for the offer, but I'm good. I wouldn't be able to get out your way, and then swing home to hook it up. Shouldn't take me more than ten minutes to clean mine out and refill it once I get home.

No problem, hope it works out for ya. I'm counting on you to grow me a piece of that bonsai back

BrandonMason;1023181 wrote: No problem, hope it works out for ya. I'm counting on you to grow me a piece of that bonsai back

For sure man. It was looking pretty happy this morning. PE on all my acros has been great throughout all of this, which is crazy because they were what I was most worried about...

So here is how I'm seeing things as they went down.

1. Ben has "disaster" in tank
2. Ben's tank turns white from huge influx of Cal/Alk
3. Ben's corals experience massive growth spurt and everything looks awesome
4. The rest of ARC starts dumping 2 part once a month
5. ???
6. profit

I have a question. To prevent this from happening again I here some are going to have there apex shut down the dp4 dosing pump, after the ph probe detects it getting high. Here is my thought or question.Is it not already going to dump a boat load in buy the time it picks up on it.Or dose it shut it down quickly. If so,will my RKL have the same feature.I was hoping someone can solve the problem with the DP4.That would be the real solution.

Crew;1023218 wrote: So here is how I'm seeing things as they went down.

1. Ben has "disaster" in tank
2. Ben's tank turns white from huge influx of Cal/Alk
3. Ben's corals experience massive growth spurt and everything looks awesome
4. The rest of ARC starts dumping 2 part once a month
5. ???
6. profit

Haha...I'll let you know how that works out...

Fishlips;1023227 wrote: I have a question. To prevent this from happening again I here some are going to have there apex shut down the dp4 dosing pump, after the ph probe detects it getting high. Here is my thought or question.Is it not already going to dump a boat load in buy the time it picks up on it.Or dose it shut it down quickly. If so,will my RKL have the same feature.I was hoping someone can solve the problem with the DP4.That would be the real solution.

I can't really answer this as I don't use a controller (Apex is on my list). I for one am going to only put enough for a few days worth in my dosing containers from now on just to be on the safe side.

Me too,I don't have the dosing pump set up,but i have a RKL.There should be a way to fix this problem. I know some might be saying it cheap and only cost 100.00 or so.That don't mean that it should not work properly.

If you want you can swing by and borrow my carbon reactor, plus I've got a big tub of seacheam carbon you can use.

and this is why this club is super cool ;-)

Sewer Urchin;1023240 wrote: and this is why this club is super cool ;-)

Agreed! I have had people offer everything from water to qt tanks. The well wishes have definitely made this alot easier.

Back