Disaster

Fishlips;1023235 wrote: Me too,I don't have the dosing pump set up,but i have a RKL.There should be a way to fix this problem. I know some might be saying it cheap and only cost 100.00 or so.That don't mean that it should not work properly.

I have an apex (and 2 doser's in the mail, don't tell the wife).

I can't speak on a RKL, but my pH probe refreshes pretty rapidly, maybe every 10 seconds? Dosing pumps are (usually) pretty slow with how they add whatever it is you've set up. Unless your dosing pump is dumping at a pretty rapid pace, the apex (or RKL) would be able to shut it down before anything crazy happened.

The dosing pumps that I have coming dump about 1 ml per minute, so it would get shut off well before anything got out of hand.

Fishlips;1023227 wrote: I have a question. To prevent this from happening again I here some are going to have there apex shut down the dp4 dosing pump, after the ph probe detects it getting high. Here is my thought or question.Is it not already going to dump a boat load in buy the time it picks up on it.Or dose it shut it down quickly. If so,will my RKL have the same feature.I was hoping someone can solve the problem with the DP4.That would be the real solution.

I have my Jaebo Doser connected to my Apex. I dose into my bubble trap just before my return chamber. My pH meter sits in the return chamber next to my pump and will shut the Doser down if my pH meter reads over 8.5 for more than 2 minutes. It was the only way I could think of to put in a failsafe with an independent Doser.

Thanks guys,Will check and see if my RKL will do the same.If so,I will order a ph probe. I just got done ordering few things.My wife going to have a kitten.

Fishlips;1023255 wrote: Thanks guys,Will check and see if my RKL will do the same.If so,I will order a ph probe. I just got done ordering few things.My wife going to have a kitten.

Your RKL will work with the pH probe. It's never fun explaining that to the wife. Lol

Fishlips;1023227 wrote: I have a question. To prevent this from happening again I here some are going to have there apex shut down the dp4 dosing pump, after the ph probe detects it getting high. Here is my thought or question.Is it not already going to dump a boat load in buy the time it picks up on it.Or dose it shut it down quickly. If so,will my RKL have the same feature.I was hoping someone can solve the problem with the DP4.That would be the real solution.

I am thinking going another direction I just haven't had time to ask the question on the Apex forum. My thoughts are..... Upon lose of power, dosing pump outlet goes to "Set Off" & "Fallback Off". Upon restoration of power to the Apex, there is a time delay of 5 minutes before the dosing outlet turns back on. This would allow power to stabilize before restoring power to the sensitive electronics of the dosing pump. If it worked, it could be carried forward to other equipment as well.

This is good info.I thought between all you reef addicts, there would be some good suggestions.

rdnelson99;1023328 wrote: I am thinking going another direction I just haven't had time to ask the question on the Apex forum. My thoughts are..... Upon lose of power, dosing pump outlet goes to "Set Off" & "Fallback Off". Upon restoration of power to the Apex, there is a time delay of 5 minutes before the dosing outlet turns back on. This would allow power to stabilize before restoring power to the sensitive electronics of the dosing pump. If it worked, it could be carried forward to other equipment as well.

Sounds pretty good Rich but why not use both statements?

rdnelson99;1023328 said:
I am thinking going another direction I just haven't had time to ask the question on the Apex forum. My thoughts are..... Upon lose of power, dosing pump outlet goes to "Set Off" & "Fallback Off". Upon restoration of power to the Apex, there is a time delay of 5 minutes before the dosing outlet turns back on. This would allow power to stabilize before restoring power to the sensitive electronics of the dosing pump. If it worked, it could be carried forward to other equipment as well.[/QU

The only issue with Fallback OFF is that you will miss the dosing that would have occurred during an outage. Not a big deal and an adjustment could be made manually to compensate for the loss.

Missing one dosing seems like a better alternative to weeks supply all at once tho.

EcoReefGuy;1023544 wrote: Missing one dosing seems like a better alternative to weeks supply all at once tho.

Sure does! Just something to keep in mind when it does happen.

Update: most everything looks ok. A lot of my acros are looking a little bleached but still have good pe. My pink lemonade is pretty much white. Only dead coral so far is my bahama mama chalice :(. Red dragon has some stn going on but I am going to clip it and glue it if it spreads. Only fish loss is the tang and possibly one of my yasha gobies. I'll try to get some pics of time permits. I'm pretty sure the worst is over but am definitely keeping an eye on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e1fa99f0d2f0bf013b5a66b8aa63b1b1.jpg
alt="" />
b87f903ad0d948faf52273350f7b392f.jpg
alt="" />
9e23f7308a2e1f09853754c0f061daa5.jpg
alt="" />
194ebc31cc8f775074bbcf8a0bcf600e.jpg
alt="" />
6af5bc920cdec70e70580678288e7227.jpg
alt="" />

Great to hear Ben and tank picks are awesome, except the stn on that never forgiving Red Dragon!

Now you need to update your Avatar. That little darlin must be walking and talking!

Camellia;1023576 wrote: Great to hear Ben and tank picks are awesome, except the stn on that never forgiving Red Dragon!

Funnily the dragon has always done well for me. I accidentally break pieces off constantly, and they always grow back. It would be triple that size if I wasn't so careless. I'm prob going to frag a piece for my work tank just in case it decides to die on me.

Camellia;1023576 wrote: Now you need to update your Avatar. That little darlin must be walking and talking!
The kid is definitely walking, not quite talking yet. He says a few words but it's mostly just gibberish.

Good news!!! All of my parameters are back in line. my alk is actually down lower than it was before this happened.

Alk-8.1
Cal-440
Ph-8.4
Mag-1280

I hooked the doser back up last night for vodka only, and will add about 100ml of each to the dosing containers of the other tonight (about 3.5 days worth, not enough to really hurt anything). I put it on a surge protector, and had already been planning on getting an apex in the coming months. This may expedite that purchase...

Also, STN on the red dragon stopped without any intervention from me, and the pink lemonade (the worst looking of all) is starting to have it's normal awesome PE. Only one coral death and one fish death.

Back