DIY denitrator - anyone build one?

Not sure. I can tell you what it is for the Maxijet 900. I've got one of those...give me a couple of minutes.

Inlet is 3/4".
Output is 1/2".

At least it is on the 900. Seems to me, that's all we need for this isn't it? Unless you were making a far larger one, I would guess.

Oil_Fan;390093 wrote: Inlet is 3/4".
Output is 1/2".

At least it is on the 900. Seems to me, that's all we need for this isn't it? Unless you were making a far larger one, I would guess.
I think that is plenty big. Thanks

That is the powerhead that is recommended on the build page and I think you have to drill out the cpvc for one of the connections. I also have some glue and primer I can bring but are smaller cans but almost full.
Grouper, the builder has also updated his build on RC and made some updates that are probably cheaper in pvc (different style top) I can send you some photos but just shoot me a pm with you email address and will send you the photos (Don't know how to pm and attach photos). Instead of cutting out and drilling a round piece of plastic for media base on inside of reactor the new design uses a 3" shower drain that slips inside the 4" pvc nicely and it already has holes in top.
Didn't know if you had a different design thought up or were going to kinda copy this one.

I also have the pvc primer and glue that I can bring if needed. Or are we going the route of using 2 phosban reactors?

Oil_Fan;390129 wrote: I also have the pvc primer and glue that I can bring if needed. Or are we going the route of using 2 phosban reactors?
was not planning on it Terrry as I know nothing about that style was planning on a single chamber design from pvc.

That's cool. The only reason for asking is that I looked at the one Jenn has in her store. It's just 2 phosban reactors linked together. Now while it doesn't allow for water to recirculate , it is easy to setup.

But I'm up for either design. The biggest reason I want this setup is prevent some of the things I've had to deal with in my 65 gallon reef tank.

Oil_Fan;390186 wrote: That's cool. The only reason for asking is that I looked at the one Jenn has in her store. It's just 2 phosban reactors linked together. Now while it doesn't allow for water to recirculate , it is easy to setup.

But I'm up for either design. The biggest reason I want this setup is prevent some of the things I've had to deal with in my 65 gallon reef tank.

I have no problem helping build the J&B type with some of you. I have never built one like that so I am lost as last years Easter egg on it

the RC write up on it (i read it again last night) said that the recirc. was preferred because it enabled the flow required for the denitrifying bacteria to culture without pushing the flow back into the system..

Rbredding;390272 wrote: the RC write up on it (i read it again last night) said that the recirc. was preferred because it enabled the flow required for the denitrifying bacteria to culture without pushing the flow back into the system..

That makes a lot of sense. A flow thru would be so slow that that you'd get a large population of bacteria in the early stages of the media where the new water first contacts the sulfur, then nothing back of that as, this bacteria would probably eat all the nitrates. Recirculation probably distributes the nitrate evenly thru the reator.

Just found this:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
390590=19235-reac.jpg
>
390590=19235-reac.jpg
class="gc-images" title="reac.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That's how we did the one for the ~1200 customer's system. Except we had 2 chambers of sulfur, one of aragonite.

Jenn

Ok the pvc and cpvc parts are going to be around $38 which includes the john guest valves they are $6.95 a piece. I am not sure what the media and maxijet cost would be. I 'm sure Jenn can help us with that.
:doh:
<u>Notice</u></em>
By accident, I deleted the file with the interested people's pm and their water volumes please send again with the diyd title.
Sorry

I place my orders for stuff today - Monday (I can likely add on Tuesday morning if need be) - so if you need anything from me, please let me know asap.

Cheers,
Jenn

Jenn,

can you get us media and maxijet pricings, please?
I think this is what Dave was missing....

I can get you pricing - just need to know how much/many.

What model maxijet?

Jenn

Back