Dmitri's 1000 gal DT journey!

Last few days I’ve been making progress on plumbing. Yesterday I have finished connecting 100gal water changing tank and 75 gal refugium to the main system. Also connected skimmer. Everything been running smooth for 24 hours.

Few things left to do before draining fresh water, connect UV, calcium reactor and three other reactors. Minor plumbing job compare to last few days.

I took some shots of a fish room, looking back at them it gives me headache :)
A bit overwhelming...

Here are some pictures to share

View attachment 5072View attachment 5073View attachment 5074View attachment 5075View attachment 5076View attachment 5077View attachment 5078View attachment 5079
That plumbing looks amazing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A3919BF7-289D-49EF-A0DE-DF825F8125B6.jpeg

I just finished 11 days of bleaching this dead rock. About 600lbs of it, now I need to dry it out and then give it some more rinsing off until bleach smell is gone.

I bleached my rock when I 1st started. From what I've learned since then I won't use it again. All it does is turn any organic material white.
Back when I was using filter socks I found a thread for cleaning them with Sodium Percarbonate which is the same chemical in Oxyclean without any detergents. When mixed with water in creates hydrogen peroxide H2O2 which will disintegrate any organics. Combined with a light acid wash, if needed, will get the rock a lot cleaner with less PO4 released in the new system.

I bleached my rock when I 1st started. From what I've learned since then I won't use it again. All it does is turn any organic material white.
Back when I was using filter socks I found a thread for cleaning them with Sodium Percarbonate which is the same chemical in Oxyclean without any detergents. When mixed with water in creates hydrogen peroxide H2O2 which will disintegrate any organics. Combined with a light acid wash, if needed, will get the rock a lot cleaner with less PO4 released in the new system.
Ya it’s not easy cleaning 600lbs of rock :)
Main reason to use bleach for me was that I had lots of dead organic material on it and didn’t want to risk bring any pests with it as well. Too big of a system to deal with it.

5E47CAB3-D826-4DA1-872A-3895C364D760.jpeg

I’m going to rinsit it off until all smell is gone then aquascape puzzle begins.

Yes; bleach doesn’t remove organic matter, it just kills anything living. To remove/dissolve organics, you can use muriatic acid (popularly found in pool supplies).

Note: If you decide to do this, treat it with respect. This is a strong acid that will quickly dissolve organic matter as well as the top surface of rock (I see a consistent 10-13% mass reduction in a 15 minute bath on pukani). As such, it can dissolve you too.
1) Wear protective gear, use a well ventilated area, plan drainage and expect foaming and overflow during reaction, and have lots of extra Sodium Bicarbonate if needed.
2) Always add acid to water. Never add water to acid.
3) If planning both Muriatic and Bleach; thoroughly rinse and re-rinse the rock between baths. Combining these two compounds, even in residual small amounts trapped inside pores, can create deadly chlorine gas.
4) Read up more before doing, as these bullet points are not comprehensive. Lol

Mounting lights is a challenge here. Being 6’2” tall and holding up these 130” rails and screwing them up in tight space is a task

I’m taking my time with this... :)

8281C0C7-07A1-4696-9356-E7173DB1E14F.jpeg9B5B0F8E-B007-480B-9ED4-0BE602442C0B.jpeg

Mounting lights is a challenge here. Being 6’2” tall and holding up these 130” rails and screwing them up in tight space is a task

I’m taking my time with this... :)

View attachment 5715View attachment 5716
What are the rails called and can you purchase ah home depot? I need to install my hydra fifty two like this as well. Very cool build.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Everything is looking epic! Really nice! Loved the aquarium photos of you and your beautiful daughter! Your blessed!

Back