Do you scrape your back glass or let it ride?

Hey Brian. I have been WMAO, out of town for a good bit. If there is still a recession, we aren't seeing it. Hope you are well. Good to be back!

Back to the coralline, my biggest issue with it is getting it to grow where I would prefer it to. That stuff has a mind of it's own! I should probably read-up on it, there may be some pearls to be learned.

brianjfinn;564146 wrote: Haven't seen you in a while, Bill!

I leave mine. I actually like the look of having 3 sides covered, if the display is large enough. It's like looking into a tiny reef cave.

do you guys just scrape it with a normal razor? or is the metal not good for the water?

Yup, get a pack of razors, rinse one off well (they have some oils from the factory). I made a scraper out of PVC, and then just start going to town. Be aware, your skimmate may turn red/maroon if you scrape a lot at once.

I leave it. That is why I made the joke of the coraline colored background in the background thread. I have just let 3 sides coraline up. I like the look of it. I didn't paint the back of the tank as I knew it would just coraline up over time.

mine needs to be scraped off right now.. (on the sides and front, that is.. )

I NEVER SCRAPE the back glass..

as you scrape it off the sides/front i will get caught up in the water column and find a home somewhere else in your system...

I always scrape it off with the return pump off for a couple hours so it will hopefully settle in the display tank somewhere.. (not the sump / skimmer, etc)

I prefer to leave it on back and sides too. At first, it was because it was such a pain to get to, but then I kind of started to like it and now, I just think it looks more natural . . . so my vote is to leave it. :)

does this thread update when people vote? (I noticed that 2 or 3 times today it has been moved to the top of the new posts page)

probably does, it has no close date - this thread was discussed on reefthreads podcast the other day...:thumbs:

Gary Parr sent me this:

"Thought you'd like to know that we discussed your thread on scraping the back glass in our podcast this week. You can listen to/download the podcast at http://www.reefthreads.com">www.reefthreads.com</a>.

Thanks,
Gary
[IMG]mailto:gparr@reefthreads.com">gparr@reefthreads.com</a>"

I have had it covered then cleared it all away and now I am starting to leave it just on the back. It is a pain to have to scrape around the rocks and coral. I had heard that if you scrape it just goes elsewhere and settles on something else. Bubba

gnashty;565769 wrote: probably does, it has no close date - this thread was discussed on reefthreads podcast the other day...:thumbs:

Gary Parr sent me this:

"Thought you'd like to know that we discussed your thread on scraping the back glass in our podcast this week. You can listen to/download the podcast at http://www.reefthreads.com">www.reefthreads.com</a>.

Thanks,
Gary
[IMG]mailto:gparr@reefthreads.com">gparr@reefthreads.com</a>"[/QUOTE]
Nice bro! Gary is a great guy and is a great supporter of this club.
Speaking of great arc members......how you doin?

gnashty;566419 wrote: I assume this is meant for Parr, not me...lol
Oh c'mon now. Pretty neat that they posted this thread on their blog site as well as discussed it in their blog

Smoothie;566453 wrote: Oh c'mon now. Pretty neat that they posted this thread on their blog site as well as discussed it in their blog

aww :blush: - I really thought you were asking about Parr..

Im good!! my tank is thriving as well, took an hour on the weekend and scraped the glass edges meticulously and now i dont mind looking at it now! actually, I cant look away!!! My zoas/palys are growing - my chalices are slowly getting more eyes and my fish are fat and healthy! Ill get my dosing online here in the next few weeks and Ill be on autopilot!! Now just to get my water changes automated (need a Rio2100) and Ill be set! Doing some coral trading this weekend and cant wait for the next meeting!

Anyone wanna scrape some coralline algeae off their back wall for me....pm for pick up

Do you scape the coraline growth off the back glass or wear it proudly?

Back