Do you scrape your back glass or let it ride?

I only get tiny bits of coraline on the back glass, it never goes crazy and crusts it...

there is a POLL on this very topic.. (actually this thread should probably be merged with that one)

how funny, this thread has been open for almost a year with 42 posts but the latest mod rant threads saw more activity in less than 24 hours...:yuk:

gnashty;652084 wrote: how funny, this thread has been open for almost a year with 42 posts but the latest mod rant threads saw more activity in less than 24 hours...:yuk:
drama brings out all the lurkers.

gnashty;652084 wrote: how funny, this thread has been open for almost a year with 42 posts but the latest mod rant threads saw more activity in less than 24 hours...:yuk:

42 posts.. but 131 (different) poll votes..

that's gotta count for Something, right?

Rbredding;652104 wrote: 42 posts.. but 131 (different) poll votes..

that's gotta count for Something, right?

didnt see that til after I posted it..:blush:

DawgFace;652003 wrote: Hmm I wonder what is inhibiting your growth? I have had this tank setup for just a little over 6 weeks and the back glass is almost covered.
Are you sure that is coraline?

grouper therapy;652224 wrote: Are you sure that is coraline?
I had coralline growing across my back glass within 3 weeks of setting up my system.. (maybe 4 weeks)

but it CERTAINLY didn't cover the back panel at that point..

grouper therapy;652224 wrote: Are you sure that is coraline?

Yea it's coraline, I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Edit:
Rbredding;652243 wrote: I had coralline growing across my back glass within 3 weeks of setting up my system.. (maybe 4 weeks)

but it CERTAINLY didn't cover the back panel at that point..

That was a bit of an exagerration on my part. It probably is closer to 30-35% covered. Seems like alot more, especially how it grows.

once it starts.. it'll take off...

in the last year, mine has REALLY built up depth.. (after it covers everything, it starts to cover itself and build layers..)

mine is probably at least 0.5 - 1.0 MM thick across the back and it's not smooth, it's got a rough, uneven texture to it that helps the back glass look like a rock itself..

I couldnt vote as I have no coraline... :(

I do not scrape...trying to grow coraline but unsuccessful as of yet.

I only scraped my back glass when I want to change my flow up and move a powerhead. I have a lot of green coraline

I don't scrape because I think it would look odd to scrape the glass and leave it on the overflows.

Jigsaw1982;774772 wrote: I've heard coraline algae is good for your system. Is that true?

Not good, rather indifferent.

Some would argue that it is a nusiances since it requires the same nutrients that your corals require.

It is however an indicator that your parameters are stable enough to to allow calcification (i.e., skeletal growth).

Personally I like the look on the aquascape, still haven't decided whether I'm for or against it on the back wall.

I do my best to scrape the coraline off all glass surfaces. 1 - I just think it looks better and 2 - I believe that coralline will only add to the depletion of your calcium and alkalinity...

Back