Fish Store More closing sale

most prices at fosters and smith are more than our prices, excluding sales. and i am sure that holds true with other LFSs
Zanski;84591 wrote:
CAPPUCCINOBAY;84589 said:
when LFSs see group orders for plate corals, colt coral, polyps and brain corals we cringe. quote]

Thats where I would chime in if I was a business owner. I would simply say "you know what ARC I will do you one better and beat the pricing your getting with your "etailer" gather your troups and head on down to the store."

And as far as the sponsors stuff goes I have no control over that. I can tell you if I never found out about the ARC I would have never set foot in your store.

Oh and just so you know when I was a noob at this hobby I went to CBA and told the person helping me I had just started a 10 gallon and wanted a Juvi hippo. With out a second of thought I had a bag with water and a 1 1/2 inch tang in it. I can also say this person is still employed by CBA. I fought for 3 weeks and 4 water tests to get a damsel with the LFS by my house and she wouldnt even think of selling one to me.

an 1 1/2 tang is ok in a ten gallon. maybe you suggested that u were upgrading. they will obvyiosly out grow a ten gal. that doesnt mean they can not start off in a ten gallon where there would be less fish of a less intimading size. more facts to that story may have been left out

Zanski;84597 wrote: Oh and just so you know when I was a noob at this hobby I went to CBA and told the person helping me I had just started a 10 gallon and wanted a Juvi hippo. With out a second of thought I had a bag with water and a 1 1/2 inch tang in it. I can also say this person is still employed by CBA. I fought for 3 weeks and 4 water tests to get a damsel with the LFS by my house and she wouldnt even think of selling one to me.

CAPPUCCINOBAY;84598 wrote: an 1 1/2 tang is ok in a ten gallon. maybe you suggested that u were upgrading. they will obvyiosly out grow a ten gal. that doesnt mean they can not start off in a ten gallon where there would be less fish of a less intimading size. more facts to that story may have been left out

Yeah I mean you guys did have around 30 of them in a 20-30 gallon tank. So I guess I see your point of it being "okay"

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 15px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">It certainly is sad to see FS&M closing. We are very lucking to have many wonderful LFSs here in the Atlanta area. FS&M is where we got started!</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 15px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 15px;"><span style="color: #006400;">LFSs offer a unique opportunity for hobbiests to come in and talk face to face with someone who (should) know a lot about the hobby. The ability to hand pick the exact coral or fish you want - not just a type or a picture is worth much. If you need something NOW - you can drive up and get it NOW (during normal business hours of course) - or worst case get it the next day without spending an arm and a leg on overnight shipping.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 15px;"><span style="color: #006400;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 15px;"><span style="color: #006400;">LFSs have a higher per item overhead - they don't stock in massive quantities therefore cannot get the massive discounts. They offer more than just a product - they are offering a service.</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 15px;"><span style="color: #006400;">Margi</span></span></span>

Margi, I absolutely agree. LFS provide a service unsurpassed by e-tailers. Obviously it is within everyones right to purchase from whom they wish. In my opinion if its cheap theres a reason.

Note to self: Never buy from GlassCages again. Spending $2000 is an expensive mistake.

Bobby has provided several hours of free consultation covering Corals and Fish and I have always been very grateful for that.

There is a place in this world for both LFS and e-tailers.

For us Noobs, this Club and the LFS's are worth their weight in frags :) Other than a light I purchase all my "stuff" from LFS...maybe I shouldnt....lol

tnyga;84613 wrote: For us Noobs, this Club and the LFS's are worth their weight in frags :) Other than a light I purchase all my "stuff" from LFS...maybe I shouldnt....lol

lol give it a week then you can buy from them as an:yay: "etailer"

You know what guys I am going to back Bobby on this. I have known Bobby for over 5 years now along with patrick from Marine and I will admit I am a pain in thier a** at times when I get frustrated.

But thing I will not never forget and that Atlanta has one of the best resources for the Hobby. I dont get to the stores as much as I could in the past but when I do go Bobby and his staff know who I am and are polite and helpfull. Marine and I have had our misunderstandings but when I go in they are still professional.

I like the fact I can go see live what I am buying so when it comes to Bobby,s comments about they live stock I back him 100%. I buy online but only supplies and lights because of the amount of floaters I have recieved and the steps I have to take to get a credit or refund over the phone or the net.

Is buying online bad no it works for some people. I bet if we put our heads together as a group buy for our locals which would support them they would provide some nice savings without the shipping. Do we go local all the time "No" but we should do more with are "LFS" like Bobby stated we are "The Atlanta Reef Club". So lets meet in the middle and work some things out.

Lets not have this thread head south. I dont think we can afford to have a another negative whooping week.

This is pretty sad! Competition is good for the industry; it helps to keep the stores honest, keep prices down and allows for better livestock.

I buy all my livestock locally. All hardgoods are bought locally also, but from aquabuys.

I agree with the sponsor situation; out-of-state etailers should not be allowed to be sponsors (dr. mac?)

It is a sad event to see FS&M close. In most businesses with such as large market, your business increases with good competition, and are hurt by bad or dishonest ones.

The world of commerce is changing, some for the good, some for the bad. Stores are adapting, but some can't due to high rent, expenses, or other restraints. Cap Bay is local brick and mortar store, but increasing their web presence. My Reef Creations is local, but an e-tailer. The BoD of ARC has met recently with some of the local sponsors and tried to be more supportive of their needs. There are no simple answers, but people are trying to address this issue.

I agree with Bobby and Donald - lets not have this thread go South.

CAPPUCCINOBAY;84581 wrote: This is bobby at CBA. Although on the surface most of you might think all the other LFS's are happy with their closing, when in reality, most of us are not. This makes 2 long standing stores going out of business within the same year, the other being Under the Wave. I do not know exact reasons for either one of them shutting down, but I can say from first hand knowledge that the e-tailers have put a killing on all LFs's. I can understand buying big ticket items such as lights, chillers, and skimmers on-line. But too often we see too many threads for group buys on live animals which all the LFS's have. Throw in the price of shipping,box charges, and the hassle is it really worth it?? Especially when we see that most of the group buys are for bread and butter type of stuff, all LFS's have it. Is it really worth it to save 5 bux on a yellow tang?? I thought this was the Atlanta Reef Club, which helps support Atlanta's reef stores. Pretty soon there will be no more LFS's and no new hobbiest, then no more hobby if this keeps it up.
Bobby

I believe ARC members do want to support the LFS's. There is value in seeing a product before purchasing. However, in today's economy, LFS's can no longer enjoy profit margins that are five to six times greater than e-tailers mandatory retail sale price. The hobby is extremely expensive by nature. If LFS's were to develop more competitive pricing in addition to becoming e-tailers themselves, I would imagine there is enough margin to keep these stores open. The example about the maxijet (ie. $40 vs. $15) is a pure economic example of supply and demand. Commodities are traded at small margins.

I am sorry for this whole thread. I personaly like and will visit CPB on any occasion I can. I do most of my shopping there and everyone there is always willing to stop what they are doing and talk to me even when I don't buy anything. The topic of this was it is a sad day that FS&M is closing not bash CPB or any other of the local LFS for trying to make a living. I think that the service you get when they discuss YOUR tank has to be worth something. IMHO

I was just there a few minutes ago...it is sad to see it close. Porter will be at Petland - Dunwoody in two weeks. The rest of the staff are trying to find safe landings.

I was there earlier and it didnt really seem like they were closing. I thought there was going to be a mass of unloading of animals and supplies, not really. Sad to see them go, that was the store that started SW for me.

That was the first store I found in Georgia...I was treated great also by, I want to say "Victor"? I think...

Victor owned FS&M Along time ago. He had sold it out quite some time ago. If I am not mistaken he also had something to do with Aquarium Showcase at one time. FS&M even used to have a second store at the corner of 92 and Sandy Springs. Fishy Fins took over that spot if I remember correctly. I used to do most of my shopping around 15 years ago at both the buckhead and the Sandy Springs FS&M and will be sad to see the store go. They always had quality fish, even if the prices were excessive. I have some fish currently that are over 8 years old that I bought at fish store and more. Quality goes along ways. That is why being able to pick and choose is so important and should go into the little extra of the price.

I don't think Victor owned it, but he worked there, and at Aquarium Showcase. The first owner was the son of the guy that owned Tower Records. They were going to franchise it, and opened the second store, but the franchising never happened. Then I think George (now in Augusta). Then two guys whose names escape me, then the current owners. All in about 12 years.

I hate to be the one pirate in the bunch, but does anyone know if they are honoring ARC discount on top of these prices?

Stinks regardless. Without commenting on their prices, I'll say I was always impressed with the quality of their livestock.

Back