Hole in Toadstool Leather

CrisisReef

Market
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’ve had an awesome toadstool leather in my tank for a good little while now. Probably around 6 months if I had to guess. After a little period of figuring out its flow requirements it really started looking great. Earlier today it looked really good with full polyp extension and even looked fluffier than normal in my opinion. Everything in the tank is doing well, however I just got home and noticed a hole in the top of the coral. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this sort of thing and can recommend anything to help the coral heal? I’ve attached a photo of just now while the lights are off and polyps are not extended.

Attachments

• CDD01A6E-9A27-4A35-BFFF-CC0127C7D8DC.jpeg
    CDD01A6E-9A27-4A35-BFFF-CC0127C7D8DC.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 13
I have several toadstools that do this. In my mind I see it as away they asexually reproduce? I have one that essentially shed off the entire outer rim into smaller leathers that found somewhere/placed somewhere else. As to why maybe someone else can say? All of mine are healthy and large like 6 to 8 inches across.

I wish I could help but all I know for sure is that I've had leathers that do this an they're still with me and happy! I always assumed is was a spot where detritus settled and the outer layer died leaving a hole. This may be way off but I've seen it, experienced it with my leathers and my solution has been to increase the flow a bit to keep detritus from settling.

I wish I could help but all I know for sure is that I've had leathers that do this a they're still with me and happy! I always assumed is was a spot where detritus settled and the outer layer died leaving a hole. This may be way off but I've seen it, experienced it with my leathers and my solution has been to increase the flow a bit to keep detritus from settling.
That’s good to hear. Mine has been happy every day since so far. It was just a little jarring to see it when I walked it at night time with the lights off. Thanks for the input!

I have several toadstools that do this. In my mind I see it as away they asexually reproduce? I have one that essentially shed off the entire outer rim into smaller leathers that found somewhere/placed somewhere else. As to why maybe someone else can say? All of mine are healthy and large like 6 to 8 inches across.
I did some digging and saw some people saying similar things, that this is how they kind of “split.” I can say that the coral has been doing well even with the ugly hole in it. Thank you for the input!

Back