Koi Pond Project - Finished

Atlanta is a great hub for saltwater fish however is not for koi.
Norcal and maybe Denver have the heavy hitters in the US
Thanks for the info guys; I’ll have to checkout what the Atlanta area does have to offer. I’m not a snob about my koi anyways though. I know some areas sell koi for thousands of dollars. The most expensive fish I’ve bought for this pond is about $30 😂

Great job! Well designed since day one! I enjoyed watching whole. The benefits from the step down hill and setting next to the stairs, great distribution of boulders and the flagstones also it couldn’t be much better of designing yourself that size filtration with the bucket as the filters that I’ve seen around are barely 1/4 the size of that, also liked the idea around the cascades, it’s giving the touch between natural look and man-made design.
I’m not an expert by any means just have watched some magazines and vids that’s all, I haven’t even had time to help my buddy built his own 😅

Great job! Well designed since day one! I enjoyed watching whole. The benefits from the step down hill and setting next to the stairs, great distribution of boulders and the flagstones also it couldn’t be much better of designing yourself that size filtration with the bucket as the filters that I’ve seen around are barely 1/4 the size of that, also liked the idea around the cascades, it’s giving the touch between natural look and man-made design.
I’m not an expert by any means just have watched some magazines and vids that’s all, I haven’t even had time to help my buddy built his own 😅
Thanks a lot man! It means a lot that someone can appreciate the design choices that went into it 😂 you have a keen eye!

Great work! Debating if my back can take the pain of digging and starting my pond!
Thanks! I know what you mean. It took a lot out of me; mainly the pickaxing! Just do a little at a time. Don’t ever over exert yourself!

I made some floating planters to get some foliage in the pond, and they’ve worked out well!9D950A47-A812-43E7-9766-65D81E5858AE.jpegE1D4503C-721F-4C94-8C09-270C16F5BA64.jpegA11D82A6-BFC6-4557-A509-87628F86B244.jpeg
These are them just after being put in the pond, and then a couple pictures about a month later.
18B2F05C-34F8-43E3-BBB6-4D6FB095B0CD.jpegF73597AD-A1F1-4F30-AD18-394D5E450CE8.jpeg
It’s insane how fast everything grew! They’re all even bigger today but these are the most recent pictures that I have. We’re having to build pvc stands to hold up some of the bigger plants (the ones in the last pic 😂)

I made some floating planters to get some foliage in the pond, and they’ve worked out well!View attachment 44836View attachment 44837View attachment 44838
These are them just after being put in the pond, and then a couple pictures about a month later.
View attachment 44839View attachment 44840
It’s insane how fast everything grew! They’re all even bigger today but these are the most recent pictures that I have. We’re having to build pvc stands to hold up some of the bigger plants (the ones in the last pic 😂)
Just beautiful!!

+1 well done!

I’ve toy’d with the idea for years & certainly have the yard for it. However, my wife thinks I have enough hobby’s & is probably right ;)

I'd like to see an update on your pond.
I recently got a small pond insert from a friend.....One of those times when you are shooting the breeze and drinking a beer , and I ask "hey, what up with that pond liner that been in your yard for two years?" ...man if you can use it , take it, i'm tired of looking at it ! haha, yessir!
It is just a small like 150 gallons or so, nothing like what I used to build, witch is along the lines of what you have done....but that for the next houses yard.
I interested what plants you have and how you have built the ecosystem.
Chris

I'd like to see an update on your pond.
I recently got a small pond insert from a friend.....One of those times when you are shooting the breeze and drinking a beer , and I ask "hey, what up with that pond liner that been in your yard for two years?" ...man if you can use it , take it, i'm tired of looking at it ! haha, yessir!
It is just a small like 150 gallons or so, nothing like what I used to build, witch is along the lines of what you have done....but that for the next houses yard.
I interested what plants you have and how you have built the ecosystem.
Chris
Thanks for the interest! It’s been a great pond. Still going strong after a couple years now. We change the plants out for different types every so often, and all that is in it right now is the hardier stuff like bamboo. We keep the big leafy banana trees in the shed in a bucket until its warm enough to put them back out or else they would die.1F78CCF4-DFD4-42B9-8951-025B815E16EE.jpeg
Here’s a picture of the plants right before we thinned them out this year. The banana trees grow like crazy, but it seems like any water plants sold at your local garden store do well. We live in a great region! I wish I had a more recent picture of the koi. They’ve grown so much recently, I can hardly believe it. I’ll go out sometime soon and take one. Just let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the interest! It’s been a great pond. Still going strong after a couple years now. We change the plants out for different types every so often, and all that is in it right now is the hardier stuff like bamboo. We keep the big leafy banana trees in the shed in a bucket until its warm enough to put them back out or else they would die.View attachment 54643
Here’s a picture of the plants right before we thinned them out this year. The banana trees grow like crazy, but it seems like any water plants sold at your local garden store do well. We live in a great region! I wish I had a more recent picture of the koi. They’ve grown so much recently, I can hardly believe it. I’ll go out sometime soon and take one. Just let me know if you have any questions!
Thats awesome. Do you put the banana trees in the shed because they are not in the ground? I ask because we leaf ours planted by the pool area. I need to get some algae eaters in mine, Snails and such. Im just getting mine going with comets and rosie reds. I plan on adding a small water fall...maybe creek bed leading up to it. Flagstone around the pond, etc etc.
Here is a picture of the area. We are constantly making tweeks to the area with raised beds and whatnot, it has actually changed since this pic.
Work in progress
Chris c
d70944b25369c81040741d499805d9fd.jpg

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Just to let anyone know, If you leave your banana trees in the ground during winter the leaves can die and fall off. Zoo Atlanta has a service which will come and prune your banana trees before the first frost so they can feed them to their animals.

Thats awesome. Do you put the banana trees in the shed because they are not in the ground? I ask because we leaf ours planted by the pool area. I need to get some algae eaters in mine, Snails and such. Im just getting mine going with comets and rosie reds. I plan on adding a small water fall...maybe creek bed leading up to it. Flagstone around the pond, etc etc.
Here is a picture of the area. We are constantly making tweeks to the area with raised beds and whatnot, it has actually changed since this pic.
Work in progress
Chris c
d70944b25369c81040741d499805d9fd.jpg

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk
Just to let anyone know, If you leave your banana trees in the ground during winter the leaves can die and fall off. Zoo Atlanta has a service which will come and prune your banana trees before the first frost so they can feed them to their animals.
We have banana trees in the ground as well, but the ones I was mentioning are actually in planters in the pond.
F78AB035-AD07-4D33-9A4E-61C6637B5B44.jpegTheir roots grow freely into the water, it’s a really cool thing to watch. We have to trim the roots that are in the upper section back every so often, but the ones that are in the koi part of the pond seem to be maintained by the fish (they nibble on them).
For our banana trees in the ground, before the first frost all you have to do is cut them at the base so that nothing is showing above ground, and then cover them with some pine straw. Super easy to do yourself and they come back larger and larger every year.
8CFA3269-9C0F-4120-8C3B-FB751A29D959.jpeg
Here’s a picture of me standing inside of one 😂 that’s from 2019, and they’ve only gotten bigger since then.

Back