Koi Pond Project - Finished

Do you get bananas 🍌 or are they ornamental only?
Ours have never grown bananas, but I’ve heard that they could if it weren’t for the frost/cutting down each winter. That would explain why bananas are imported from places with tropical climates where they can grow year round 🤔 I really don’t know if that’s true though, so I’ve always been curious about it 😂

I leave my banana trees in the ground as well. One tree did flower but there wasn’t enough time for the bananas to grow before it got cold.

From my understanding each tree just fruits once in a lifetime and then sprouts pups that will continue the cycle. Farmers generally chop down the mother after it fruits to allow the pups to grow.

E3C4B092-0AF9-4342-9B01-C724DBD8C333.jpeg

I leave my banana trees in the ground as well. One tree did flower but there wasn’t enough time for the bananas to grow before it got cold.

From my understanding each tree just fruits once in a lifetime and then sprouts pups that will continue the cycle. Farmers generally chop down the mother after it fruits to allow the pups to grow.

View attachment 54819
This is true. We do not cut our down throughout the year. Our main one is close to 7 feet tall on the second year since transplanting it from my friends yard. There are probably 10 more small ones all around it. This pic was last summer
6b17ece871bfeb032c9a6c24e6a7b37a.jpg

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

I feel the need to go get a banana plant now….. 👆🤷🏼‍♀️🙄😜
They’re something else! 😂 you’ll see them grow insanely fast right before your eyes. The leaves grow like trumpets until they get big enough and then they flop outward. It’s almost like a new trumpet forms every day.

Now that you chumps are hooked - look into ae ae banana trees ...
These are like the homewreckers of bananas...just look at them the wrong way and they'll die, lol.
My friend in OK offered me one several years ago for $100 but I declined because I thought the price was ridiculous but geez look at the price of them now

1646254658863.png

I had a blood banana plant in my Aquaponics system but failed to bring it inside in time before the first frost. It went from a small pup off of a friend's tree to 3 and half feet in just a few months.

Now that you chumps are hooked - look into ae ae banana trees ...
These are like the homewreckers of bananas...just look at them the wrong way and they'll die, lol.
My friend in OK offered me one several years ago for $100 but I declined because I thought the price was ridiculous but geez look at the price of them now

View attachment 54828
Great another expensive hobby:rolleyes:

Back