LED Question HELP

Drilled rimless biocube is where its at.
IMG_4846.jpg
alt="" />

I was thinking more along the lines of stock everything.. Lol.

Personally I wouldn't be able to trust a tank that's not designed and built to be rimless with the top trim pulled off. and there's plenty of successful biocubes with out any modification whatsoever. I think the goal here is to simplify things and stop the $$$$pending on junk, and move forward with the whole process

Cant go wrong with more volume and a plethora of lighting options. Most of them come with a good starter light. Used ones are good deals.

I know some of you will look at this as trying to make a sale, but the honest truth is that I have a store close by that has asked me to bring the biocube in for one of his customers. So I really have no reason to push for a sale.

I just think it's a perfect fit for Dave. We have become buds over the past couple weeks so I'm offering to hook him up with a full set up with a bunch of freebies on top of the same price the LFS offered me for the tank. I'll let him pick out the rock he wants out of my stash, throw in a heater, a decent powerhead, and throw some more stuff in to sweeten the deal even more. It's a coralife biocube bought brand new by me Jan 2013, been set up about a year, never really used the hood so the bulbs are fresh, stock stand in good shape or he can put it on his countertop where his current tank sits. Moonlights built in, will support all the corals he wants to keep anyway.

And the price is what a LFS is offering to pay just for the tank and stand so you know it's bottom dollar.

That way Dave (OceanDeep85) can stop worrying about everything and start enjoying his tank. I think it's the right move and there will be those who say the lighting needs upgrading, or the whole tank needs upgrading lol.. But it's a step up from buying T8's to go over a ten gallon tank.. Speaking of which.. Boom! All the lighting you need for a proper ten gallon fish QT tank. So money's not wasted if you look at it that way.. Lol..

What do you guys think? What do you think Dave (Acroholic)? I know you've read all the threads.

JDavid;976379 wrote: I know some of you will look at this as trying to make a sale, but the honest truth is that I have a store close by that has asked me to bring the biocube in for one of his customers. So I really have no reason to push for a sale.

I just think it's a perfect fit for Dave. We have become buds over the past couple weeks so I'm offering to hook him up with a full set up with a bunch of freebies on top of the same price the LFS offered me for the tank. I'll let him pick out the rock he wants out of my stash, throw in a heater, a decent powerhead, and throw some more stuff in to sweeten the deal even more. It's a coralife biocube bought brand new by me Jan 2013, been set up about a year, never really used the hood so the bulbs are fresh, stock stand in good shape or he can put it on his countertop where his current tank sits. Moonlights built in, will support all the corals he wants to keep anyway.

And the price is what a LFS is offering to pay just for the tank and stand so you know it's bottom dollar.

That way Dave (OceanDeep85) can stop worrying about everything and start enjoying his tank. I think it's the right move and there will be those who say the lighting needs upgrading, or the whole tank needs upgrading lol.. But it's a step up from buying T8's to go over a ten gallon tank.. Speaking of which.. Boom! All the lighting you need for a proper ten gallon fish QT tank. So money's not wasted if you look at it that way.. Lol..

What do you guys think? What do you think Dave (Acroholic)? I know you've read all the threads.
Well, the tank looks nice. But, I'll let Dave make his own choices. One of the best tools I have in this hobby is my own learning curve, good decisions and bad decisions. Frankly, I don't know what is best for anyone. And hopefully, we have the ability to learn from our mistakes.

I can say what has worked for me, and that is about all.

Acroholic;976387 wrote: Well, the tank looks nice. But, I'll let Dave make his own choices. One of the best tools I have in this hobby is my own learning curve, good decisions and bad decisions. Frankly, I don't know what is best for anyone. And hopefully, we have the ability to learn from our mistakes.

I can say what has worked for me, and that is about all.

I think he's fully capable of making his own decisions, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. If you mean biocubes in general, they do look nice I think but the picture posted above is by someone else, the one I have is fully stock with the top bracing in tact ( no modifications)

I've been thinking about what's best for Dave, and gone back and forth on whether or not to push in the direction that I think is best, or to leave him alone and let him do what he wants lol.

I think that's sort of what happened with me too, and I'm somewhat glad for all the pushes and nudges in the right direction, but at the same time I had fun working my way up from 8 gallons. Which was an all stock biocube actually..not a shabby tank and was the most stable one I ever had with the craziest explosive coralline growth I've ever seen... But now I'm getting off topic

It just seems like a fit solution. He knows what corals he wants, and the biocube will provide adequate lighting and filtration to keep them.

I know it was never the right tank for me. But I'm somewhat glad that I spent a year in the biocube before getting ready to move on to my REAL reef tank, because had I started out with it I wouldn't have known which equipment to buy, corals I wanted, fish I wanted, etc.

Then again, a drilled 29g standard setup would make a sweet nano too :)

Anyway if I was in a hurry to move the tank it would be gone so all you got is time buddy, think it over and figure out what's best for you.

Nothing wrong with that Odyssea fixture either, $60 can't beat it. It wouldn't be a bad investment either way even if you have to stay in the 10g longer because then you've got a coral ready QT/ mini frag tank/ holding tank for anything that you don't want to/can't put in your other tank (just like mine. Holding my algae free corals and my snowflakes until I rehome big Bertha the saddleback)

Dave, I really like what you are doing with your questions (and they turn into some pretty incredible threads!). Heed the "buy cheap but twice" mantra. There are very few deals that look too good to be true which actually are.

I remember when we would go to Hong Kong. The prices were so cheap that we would all go broke saving money. Most of the stuff would fall apart soon thereafter.

Keep doing what you're doing. Due diligence takes you far.

kilralpine;976374 wrote: Drilled rimless biocube is where its at.

Wow. Never new you could drill one of those. Pretty cool.

I think he should just keep his tank for a couple months, add some coral and then let it grow out.

JC_k;976434 wrote: Wow. Never new you could drill one of those. Pretty cool.

I think he should just keep his tank for a couple months, add some coral and then let it grow out.

Pending light that will sustain coral

All-

Thanks so much for everything. So thankful for all the wisdom and knowledge shared and making new good friends.

I am going to go with the 29 biocube next month.

My ultimate goal is a 40 gal breeder by this time next year.

OceanDeep85;976578 wrote: All-

Thanks so much for everything. So thankful for all the wisdom and knowledge shared and making new good friends.

Awesome! Really like bio-cubes.

OceanDeep85;976578 wrote: All-

The bc29 will satisfy the itch while you slowly build your 40 breeder system!

40 breeder is a great tank

There are some nice refit kits out there for the BC line... personally I'm smacking my head for not suggesting one to you in the first place, given the space you have to put it in. Admittedly your plea was to help you fix the tank you had, not replace it with another. ;)

To be fair, you can do a lot more of what you said you wanted to in that larger tank while still fitting into an impressively small footprint floorplan-wise... get creative with your rockscaping and there's a looooot of room compared to your current 10. If it were me, I'd stick with the 10 and get my initial mistakes worked out - you've got it up, cycled and appear to have gotten water quality in line to the point that sick fish are healing in it instead of getting sicker - these are good things to know how to do and there's likely a few more young-tank issues you'll hit in the next couple of months that are likewise make or break for whether you can enjoy the hobby or not. Buuuuut it seems you're being made an incredible offer... if you feel it's what you want and you're getting it for a song, so don't be me - be Dave and get a tank that Dave wants. ;)

Just check the weigh-bearing capacity of your stand, first - a 29-gallon Biocube will fill with around 24-26 actual gallons of water (200-225lbs) + the weight of the tank and your sand/rockscape (easily another 60lbs). And check with your rental office - last place I was in had a "nothing larger than 10 gallon fish tank" rule on the books. :roll:

Yeah, Josh and I worked something out and I'm going to bring his old 29gal Biocube to life. I'm going to hang on to the 10 gal as a coral only setup in the future or a nice sump or something.

Also, Josh (JDavid) is majorly hooking me up this week with a dual t5 setup and two really amazing corals to start. I'm on cloud 9.

Will post pics and updates once I get it up and running.

Wait so are you going to take the 10gallon down when you get the biocube?

I have been studying and toying with the idea of LEDs for years. I started by making my own circuit boards to run luff bright LEDs to illuminate re purposed apple classic computers that I made into beta tanks. These early explorations led me to a number weird china manufactures ... But I digress.

With LEDs I have found there are 3 equally important factors

1. Diode build
2. Lens optics
3. Watts

So you see fixtures that have just exposed diodes that claim 100 watts that will perform like a 30 watt unit with great optics. If the diode is not well made corals might not get the proper spectrum.

With a smaller aquarium any of the lights you find under 200 like these
Will do wonders and out perform typical t5s.

ref=is_s_

Hello, all!

I'm baaaack.. much to the dismay of some of my haters, but nonethless..

To clear up any misunderstandings, I was put in timeout for talking like a potty mouth, even though I said something that wouldn't even make mother theresa blush, but, some folks like to exercise the least little bit of authority they have and feel they are doing the lord's work by punishing all of us sinners. I cussed. Yep. That's it. I prefer to believe that it was because I walked out backwards from a bank I just held up while my junk freely flies in the air and I was flashing middle fingers everywhere and then made out with someone's mom.. but no... one can dream though.. right? anyway....

So, during my absence, I took advantage of an opportunity to borrow from JDavid (Josh) a dual T5, 24" Coralife light with a 10,000k daylight and true actinic bulb with LED accent lighting. He was also insanely generous enough to donate a duncan frag, a frogspawn frag and an orange/red mushroom. All seem to be doing very well and I'm ecstatic. Work has been insanely busy and school has started back up, so I will post pictures when I can. I'm a HUGE frogspawn/hammer/torch fan anyhow so it's amazing to see it's tentacles extend a little more every day and the unbelievably gorgeous and unique shades of green it has.. the mushroom has been vibrant and seems to grow a little larger every day.. I actually hope it grows and spreads and covers a nice section of the tank..

the duncan, well, I know it's healthy and it seems to open a bit more every day but still hasn't fully extended. I have yet to see the actual tentacles.. but it's only been 3 days.

OceanDeep85;977933 wrote: Hello, all!

I'm baaaack.. much to the dismay of some of my haters, but nonethless..

To clear up any misunderstandings, I was put in timeout for talking like a potty mouth, even though I said something that wouldn't even make mother theresa blush, but, some folks like to exercise the least little bit of authority they have and feel they are doing the lord's work by punishing all of us sinners. I cussed. Yep. That's it. I prefer to believe that it was because I walked out backwards from a bank I just held up while my junk freely flies in the air and I was flashing middle fingers everywhere and then made out with someone's mom.. but no... one can dream though.. right? anyway....

So, during my absence, I took advantage of an opportunity to borrow from JDavid (Josh) a dual T5, 24" Coralife light with a 10,000k daylight and true actinic bulb with LED accent lighting. He was also insanely generous enough to donate a duncan frag, a frogspawn frag and an orange/red mushroom. All seem to be doing very well and I'm ecstatic. Work has been insanely busy and school has started back up, so I will post pictures when I can. I'm a HUGE frogspawn/hammer/torch fan anyhow so it's amazing to see it's tentacles extend a little more every day and the unbelievably gorgeous and unique shades of green it has.. the mushroom has been vibrant and seems to grow a little larger every day.. I actually hope it grows and spreads and covers a nice section of the tank..

the duncan, well, I know it's healthy and it seems to open a bit more every day but still hasn't fully extended. I have yet to see the actual tentacles.. but it's only been 3 days.

Ohh you got time out..hehe.. Haha sorry, is the damsel still doing good? Or did it die?

Back