Let the games... BEGIN!!

Dave, start here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343212">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343212</a>

This thread links to different parts of massive thread that

[QUOTE=]BTW, this thread starts here ... [IMG]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1</a> ... has been split, and spans over five years. Difficult to wade through, but in parts it presents some of the most blinding demonstrations of reefkeeping mastery & insight that you'll ever encounter on RC. Extraordinary stuff, and well worth the read ... If you can survive the effort[/QUOTE]

And also,the last guy to post in the thread I linked,that's Randy Holmes-Farley, and he doesn't really add much, but remember that name.. And whenever you have a question about reef chemistry, look up an article by RHF.

Hey, all. A quick update-

Ammonia falling, nitrites and nitrates rising rapidly. Cycle is well underway.

Went to PetCo this weekend and picked up two tiny hermit crabs and a turbo snail. The Hermit crabs seem to be loving life and are all over the place scavenging. The snail, well.. it's a snail.

OceanDeep85;972543 wrote: Hey, all. A quick update-

Ammonia falling, nitrites and nitrates rising rapidly. Cycle is well underway.

Went to PetCo this weekend and picked up two tiny hermit crabs and a turbo snail. The Hermit crabs seem to be loving life and are all over the place scavenging. The snail, well.. it's a snail.
Glad to see your setup is coming along.

Respectfully...it's a bad idea to add any livestock until ammonia and nitrite are completely gone.

A few pages back, we encouraged you to slow down. Please - don't add anything else until the tank is completely cycled. It's hard on the critters, and on your wallet.

I'm glad the cycle is finally moving in the right direction. Please don't rush things or you may end up taking one step forward and 2 steps back.

Jenn

I think the snail and two hermits can slide.. CUC dies and is replaced. It's a fact of reefkeeping.

Given the amount of dying crud hanging off some of the OP's rock, I think the hermits may have been a valid thing to add. They'd inexpensive, tough and will likely clean up a good part of the decaying matter that's releasing ammonia in the first place.

The snail? Eh, I'm on the fence about turbos in the first place & admittedly that may not have been the best thing to add. But the inevitable diatom bloom should be just around the corner and I expect the hair algae explosion will be too.

JennM;972622 wrote: Respectfully...it's a bad idea to add any livestock until ammonia and nitrite are completely gone.

A few pages back, we encouraged you to slow down. Please - don't add anything else until the tank is completely cycled. It's hard on the critters, and on your wallet.

I'm glad the cycle is finally moving in the right direction. Please don't rush things or you may end up taking one step forward and 2 steps back.

Jenn

Hi, Jenn-

the hermit crabs were at the advice and encouragment of other experienced reefers and seem to be doing great. The snail was my call.

Water is crystal clear, cycle is moving along rapidly, no noticeable odors or cloudiness, no signs of ammonia stress.. things look good. Yes, I know plenty goes wrong in crystal clear water too, but smelly, cloudy water with insane ammonia spikes aren't good either... :sick:

The snail is a snail. I'm sure it'll be just fine. If they all three die, it will be a shame and I'll be out $4.

I guess that is where we disagree.

It's not just about the money. It's about subjecting creatures to undue stress and possibly death.

Respectfully, I've seen people flamed to a crisp for doing just that. I don't roll that way (hence, I'm respectful about it.)

I've never recommended any livestock to be added during a cycle, period. And if there is livestock there, it should be removed (I'm pretty sure I suggested that about 4 pages ago).

Different trikes for different tykes -

Jenn

Where does it stop? What's the difference between a snail in the tank and a snail on the sidewalk? Snails have shorter life cycles and they die a lot. Sure, don't kill anything on purpose, I get that. But if it's a cockroach I have different feelings. I hate anything that resembles a cockroach and I want it to be dead immediately before it crawls on me.

Just my own thoughts.. but I respect and value your own opinion too, Jenn.

I guess the answer to the question depends on the individual.

Back in the day, before live rock was the norm, people cycled with damsels, subjecting them to all kinds of stress with ammonia and nitrite.

Most folks frown upon that nowadays.

There's a difference between desirable creatures and vermin (your cockroach comparison).

To me, it makes no sense, either ethically, or fiscally, to deliberately risk a creature's life for the sake of haste.

Jenn

Well, if I may....

I reject the notion that I've deliberately risked a creature's life for the sake of haste when, A) Fishless cycling has not ever been proven to be more timely than fish-IN cycling. B) I have, and will continue to do, whatever I can to make sure that the cycling process is as swift and painless as possible. I believe the difference here is in INTENT. I do not INTEND to cause harm at all. In fact, I am truly fascinated by, and admire these creatures.. or I wouldn't be climbing the slow mountain toward a small reef in my living room. I have suffered some unfortunate losses due to my own ineptitude and my freshman standing in the saltwater community. But not for a moment have I added any creatures on a whim without any regard for their health or well being. I chose the damsel knowing full well the risks involved with regard to future temperament and compatability with other reef creatures that most folks prefer. I have no interest in things that won't get along with my damsel. I also have no intention of getting rid of it. It's a beautiful electric blue creature that has interesting behaviors, is hardy and eats well and makes an incredible addition, in my opinion to the reef I want.

So, allude to the fact that I'm a sadistic person all you want, but it's simply not true.

Happy Thursday.

I never suggested you had ill intent.

I merely made respectful suggestions based on my experiences of close to 30 years. Anyone who knows me will vouch for *my* intent.

No biggie. Carry on.

Jenn

Well, regardless.. I understand Jenn's point and I appreciate her tenured input, just like I appreciate everyone's feedback or I wouldn't have joined this club. However, I felt like I needed to defend myself a bit and just let everyone know that although my actions may appear to be, I am not intentionally careless or thoughtless by any means.. at all.

yeah. Well, good.. we don't want people like that in a hobby that should support reef rehabilitation and care.

Now, new topic.. anyone have any good leads on a used canister filter I could pick up?? haha Looking to spend about $40 on a decent, used, canister filter.

Bassett22;973533 wrote: Check out te bulk reef supply dual media reactor.

I love BRS, Bassett.. but they are expensive as hell.. and this means I'll still have to buy a new powerhead.. I only have a 160gph one right now.

UPDATE for all who have been following along-

AMMONIA IS FINALLY 0. Zero detectable ammonia.. both locked and free. I'm so happy I could cry.. but I"m having a beer instead.

Nitrites falling. Still detectable, but initial spike is over.

Nitrates rising.

Damsel happy as a clam.
Hermit crabs, cleaning away and moving freely about the tank
Turbo snail, well.. being a turbo snail.

Water still crystal clear.

Thanks so much, Mike. I'm exstatic. I really thought I was just not cut out for this. Couldn't seem to not do something wrong.

Now I just need to pick up some decent LEDs for lighting and work on filtration.

Back